Search results

1. JonVH

Abx

Yes. The important thing that audio enthusiasts need to remember is that fault-testing of theories, empirical measuring and listening tests are not the enemies of subjectivists. Unscientific and biased ABX objectivists, like those at Hydrogenaudio are, because they propagate misinformation...
  2. JonVH

Did we abandon science/any objective tests??

People still have to do fact checking of the AES "articals". John Curl and Matti Otala's "A Method For Measuring Transient Intermodulation Distortion" is formed on patently false information. T.I.M is laughable to any engineer that has worked in communications and electronics signal...
  3. JonVH

Replacing speaker capacitors

A recap will solve the problem, is that is the cause. If not, it may be the push-on crimp connections, the speaker wire connections, the device amplifying the sound, etc. Swap in a another set of speakers to see if the sound levels out. If not, the problem may be on the speaker end of the system.
  4. JonVH

New 2000 series owner.

Depending on the version of the MX-2000, the meter lights resistors tend to overheat the board a bit. I would surprised that yours needed any TLC at all, but I've seen how some amps are treated and climate takes a toll. I've heard a mint MX-2000 with a passive attenuator and it literally sounded...
  5. JonVH

YAMAHA NS-10M Monitors.

Wholeheartedly agreed.
  6. JonVH

Did we abandon science/any objective tests??

There has been a great deal of audio perception research, and some speaker companies use it in their design. Little of it is available online or from the AES, as it's proprietary. What you will find online is often federal or jurisdictional funded research, where as private sector work is...
  7. JonVH

Sorry wugner. I don't have an answer. As I recall, it was one chip that did it. Any competent...

Sorry wugner. I don't have an answer. As I recall, it was one chip that did it. Any competent repair shop can locate and fix the cause.
  8. JonVH

YAMAHA NS-10M Monitors.

There are several versions; one version has a flat response and one has a peaked response. You might have the flat version. They blow the Minimus 7 out of the water, no contest. Congrats!
  9. JonVH

Abx

I know you mean well, but careful with those links. Newcomers that have been enlightened to impericism need to remain vigilant and be made aware that not all "objectivists" are impartial either. The sad reality of the above links is that several contain sources with no supporting credentials nor...
  10. JonVH

Pre amp tone controls

Funny that you mention Doug's post. I quoted that and several others together not long ago. I think tone controls are fine. They are not all the same, and there are different ways of implementing them into a design. I see no reason to omit them today.
  11. JonVH

So what makes it better?

That was reviewer talk. It's called elucidation and equivocation. Stereophile and Dagogo are great at sneaking their way through a review while trying not to offend anyone. In the process their reviews are broken down to the lowest common denominator and tell virtually noting about the gear...
  12. JonVH

KEF Cantata crossover restoration

R5 is a 5 ohm resistor and the capacitor preceding it is .1uF. The Cantata's were awesome speakers and really didn't get the attention that they should have. They were a 104AB in a larger cabinet with a larger tweeter. Gramophone gave a very good review for them, and described them as near...
  13. JonVH

Hey Recappers, What Are Your Favorite Brands?

The cheapest on the shelf.
  14. JonVH

Yamaha M series and MX amps

A friend replaced his Nakamichi amp with an MX-1000U, and it was a smart move in my opinion. As far as i was concerned, the Yamaha went beyond its price point and put forth a great performance. It was completely dependent on the preamp and source, but it just shined. I think that might have...
  15. JonVH

Kappa 8 regrets...

Don't be "pretty sure" that they have adaquate protection circuits intgrated into their design- make sure if they do or do not! A 100mA-250mA fast blow fuse inline with a prized driver is at least some small level of insurance, where none other commonly exists. There are also kits and...
  16. JonVH

Question about headroom, clipping, and speaker power rating

Completely agree, and for most people an average satisfying level with common audiophile speakers amounts to under 2W per channel, and often several times less than that.
  17. JonVH

Speaker Impulse Response

+1 And, not to argue the merits or suggestive lack thereof within the encompassing precisions of time aligntment and relative phase, I will note that as misalignment increases in the crossover region, the amplitude is adversely affected. At 180 degrees impulse misalignment, cancelation occurs...
  18. JonVH

MX-2000 and NS-2000

You're bound to find people who will say that you need hundred of watts, but you have to really ask yourself how loud these people are listening, how loud you plan to listen, and how low your speaker dip...and most importantly, at what frequency. If there is anything that I have come to...
  19. JonVH

Yamaha NS-1000 Jantzen-audio crossover

Troels is wrong about the mids being "aluminum", thats been covered elseware when someone actually dissected one. The dome's mold was aluminum, and copper plated, then the beryllium vapor was deposited on top and the copper chemicaly etched away. Anyway it really doesn't matter what its made...
  20. JonVH

Minimus 7's

Cute little speakers, there are also numerous crossover mods on the web to improve and flatten their response.
  21. JonVH

Scroe! (I hope)

DO people not take care of them and this is how they end up, having to be rewired a dozen times?
  22. JonVH

Understanding speaker numbers

"Legendary"
  23. JonVH

Speaker bursts into flames !!!

You clearly don't understand what we're taking about, we're taking about a DC current that smoked his woofer. Harmonic distortion? What? That quote you just added is measuring DC offset on the output and its common sense that you want it as close to 0 as possible- I'm among those who have...
  24. JonVH

Are you for real? You think that 2V, ie 0.5W (half a Watt) will bottom a woofer?
  25. JonVH

What about it? It just confirms what I already said. It's simple math.
Back
Top Bottom