Search results

1. octaneTom

Calling all Budgie Owners. What tubes are you using?

I am running the DuMonnt 6922s that eduarsan1 was (is?) offering up here in BarterTown. They sound great to my ears, much better than the stock tubes I got with the Budgie I picked up used. Haven’t felt the need to explore further if that says anything...
  2. octaneTom

bjlefebvre - another great AKer

Recently picked up a Rogue Sphinx integrated amp from @bjlefebvre here in Barter Town. The amp was shipped promptly, was in great condition, was packed awesomely (double boxed, even) and was delivered as described. I'd definitely do business with him again.
  3. octaneTom

Bostown — great seller

I bought a set of absolutely beautiful and great sounding Proac Response 2 speakers from Bostown. He packed the speakers really well, was easy to communicate with and they got to me right when he said they would. I'd definitely buy from him again - stand up guy. Thanks @Bostown!
  4. octaneTom

Opinion: Rega tables?

Sorry, no, I've never heard the 10x5. I also picked up the DV20X2L lightly used - a claimed 40 hours of time - at half off retail. Hell of a deal, love that cartridge.
  5. octaneTom

Congrats on the purchase. Pics????? I'm running a Dynavector 20X2L on my RB700 / P5 with great results. Regarding clips/mounting - the clips on the P5 are substantially better than the mounting clips on my previous table, a Pro-ject Xpression III. The Pro-Ject had THE WORST clips, they were so...
  6. octaneTom

So I added the Groovetracer reference sub-platter to my P5 last night. Along with the sound upgrade, which I think was noticeable, it also locked in the speed. Here's before (left) and after of the turntable speed according to Turntabulator on my iPhone: Pretty much spot on now. Cool.
  7. octaneTom

Either $1k for a P25 is quite expensive, or I got a really good deal on my perfectly cared for, used P5 last year for $750. I love my P5 - classic looks, love the tonearm, makes beautiful music with a DV20X2L installed. I plan on having it forever. Just got a Groovetracer subplatter for it to...
  8. octaneTom

Harbeth C7ES-3

I used a wooden kabob skewer I had laying around in the kitchen to get mine off. It was soft enough that it wouldn't scratch the cabinet, but strong enough to pop off a corner. I've got the grills in the basement in the Harbeth boxes...just like the naked look better.
  9. octaneTom

Harbeth C7ES-3

Nice, Art! Nothing like the sound of new speakers... :)
  10. octaneTom

Harbeth C7ES-3

Haha, I was surprised to see how large they looked in my living room as well...even though I'd seen them in the showroom, they just really seemed large when I got them set up (especially since I'd been demoing some P3ESRs in the same location for a while the month before.) But, they're so...
  11. octaneTom

Harbeth C7ES-3

About a year in, and I still absolutely love my C7s — plan on having them a really long time. I'm sure you'll love them as well.
  12. octaneTom

Official Jolida JD9 thread

Barter Town has been my go to location for 12au7 and 12ax7s.
  13. octaneTom

Tube amp w/ phono stage

And if you want to break the bank, the VAC Sigma 160i comes with a phono stage.
  14. octaneTom

Tube amp w/ phono stage

Primaluna sells, or used to sell, an optional phono board with their amps. You might be able to find a used Prologue One/Two with a phono board installed for a decent price.
  15. octaneTom

Question on volume/tube life, perhaps stupid

Thanks luvinyl, I've been through that thread a bunch! New cartridge means restarting the tweaking all over again...and I do have some tubes to try rolling when I get some time to mess around.
  16. octaneTom

Question on volume/tube life, perhaps stupid

So I'm running a LOMC into my Jolida JD9 into my Primaluna Prologue One. The Jolida has a bunch of gain settings. At gain setting 2, I can barely get the Primaluna past 11 o'clock on the volume dial without it being too loud for my room. On gain setting 1, I can turn the Primaluna all the...
  17. octaneTom

Dynavector 20x2L - long-winded impressions

And sorry, yeah - looked at the back of my Jolida again, I've got gain #1 up which would be around 70db. 55 was too low. 60-65 seems like it would be perfect, but this is working pretty well, so until I can mess with the overall gain a bit I think I'll leave it.
  18. octaneTom

Oooh, I think I like it better at 70 ohms - switches 1/2/3 all up. A little smoother? Interesting.
  19. octaneTom

Frank - why 100? The cartridge manual says 1000 or greater... Oh wait - does it say between 1k and 30? Not sure how to read this: Recommended load resistance: > 1,000 ohms / > 30 ohms Hmmm... I'll mess around with it, thanks!
  20. octaneTom

So I took the plunge into LOMC territory the other day. Picked up a slightly used 20x2L (claimed 10 hours) off another web site at half of retail. Installed it on my Rega P5 last night. Took a while to mount as the pins on the back are smaller than on my AT150MLX, so I had to fiddle with the...
  21. octaneTom

Concept or Traveler? Need help making a decision

You can also get a used P5 for about half of what the RP6 is selling for if you look around a bit. I think the RB700 tonearm alone is worth what I paid for my P5 a month or two ago.
  22. octaneTom

Just picked up older Rega Planar 2 w/ sumiko blue point... Question!

Ah, sorry missed the picture the first time - I'm guessing that's an older model, maybe the first version of it (Blue Point One)?
  23. octaneTom

Just picked up older Rega Planar 2 w/ sumiko blue point... Question!

Blue point is a high output MC that will probably sound fine loaded at 47k, but I'd also try 1k just for kicks. Is it this one? http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sumiko/blue-point.shtml Says 1.7g for the regular, 2.0 for the special.
  24. octaneTom

turntable preamp questions...

Right - don't ever put a stand alone phone preamp into the phono stage: but you can always put a preamp into any of the line stages if you'd like or want to try a stand-alone stage.
  25. octaneTom

phono cables

Blue Jeans - super low capacitance, shielded. They're perfect.
Back
Top Bottom