Search results

1. Thatch_Ear

300B SET Kits Advice, experience, opinions?

I got a bit OT there. Whatever kit you pick I would recommend tube rectification and upgrading resistors and caps where you can. I built a stereo SEP that can take 6L6s and EL34s, even 6550s. 12AU7s but I have the best (I think) and might try 12AY7s. Amp rolling is fun but tedious. Tube rolling...
  2. Thatch_Ear

300B SET Kits Advice, experience, opinions?

As an old guy I can say that all things considered that voicing your 300B really gets down to getting the right tubes in it. For instance when I bought mine 15 years of so back after I got some good 300Bs in it rolling in the correct 6SL7s made all the difference. If you don't get goosebumps...
  3. Thatch_Ear

Anyone heard of Monarch ??

The Japanese were using triode/pentodes like 6BM8s and 6GW8s back in those days. I have some integrated Calrad mono blocks that use 6BM8s in PP. There used to be 6BM8 clubs where guys were building amps with one tube. Kinda fun. Thatch
  4. Thatch_Ear

TU-8200 Kit

I am going to take a close look at the RCA plugs and the binding posts. If I want to get copper instead of brass it will never be easier than now. My friend down in Austin who does not even know I am mentioning him, is great about getting exactly what I need, even if it isn't what I want at 1st...
  5. Thatch_Ear

TU-8200 Kit

I ordered a TU-8200 kit on Amazon on May 16th (Happy Birthday Mom!!!) and 10 days later it is here. Not bad considering it came from Japan. It is extremely well packed, double boxed, everything well protected and the smaller parts are divided up into 3 different plastic envelopes so that a diode...
  6. Thatch_Ear

Looking for a good inexpensive build kit to get brother into tubes.

I just ordered this kit straight from Japan on Amazon for $550 plus shipping. I hope to get it in a few days. The reviews are very good, and you have lots of room for coupling caps like Mundorfs. If you have efficient speakers and like rolling tubes this looks to be a lot of fun. Headphone...
  7. Thatch_Ear

Ugly as Hammered Dog Crap........

Those quads look awesome! My dad had some old Pioneers that had 4 volume pots on them, heavy as cans of Narragansett (I lived in Chemsfd Maess in the 70s) and I never cared for them much. Those AKGs look good. I have nothing against new. I tried looking for cans made with AMTs and there are...
  8. Thatch_Ear

Ugly as Hammered Dog Crap........

I just bought a pair of the Polk Buckles for $34 delivered because they seemed like a deal and hopefully will be fairly good isolation cans for me to listen to while I read and my wife watches TV. I really do not like TV but I don't want to blow my old ears out to avoid it. No I can't go to...
  9. Thatch_Ear

Leon Russell, Hank Williams...

I just found out about these recordings. I understand that there are 4 of them. I have never been a Country fan, but I was into Outlaw in the after 75 to 80 era, and I did like Leon Russell Carnival I know for sure. I am not so much wondering about the music quality as I am the recording...
  10. Thatch_Ear

DIY Power Cables

Yes, the 1st sentence applied to you, the rest was for Zoom. That is what I wanted. Sorry for my rambling way to ask things, but I talk too much. Sorry Jim, I thought my language was toned down. It certainly isn't what I wanted to say, and as I pointed out Zoom came back and edited out most of...
  11. Thatch_Ear

DIY Power Cables

How does this make me sound like I don't know what I am doing? Yea, I haven't been around in a while I am the 116th person to join AK. I was the 1st Mod in Tubes and had to really campaign to get a Tube Forum in here because it was Vintage SS and Vintage Speakers only. Anybody who would even say...
  12. Thatch_Ear

6n2 Tube replacement

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Russian-Tubes/Russian-6N2P-EB-6AX7 This is it. They used to be real cheap. Well I guess it has been 5 years since I last looked for them. ThAtCh
  13. Thatch_Ear

6n2 Tube replacement

Good God! What kind of wine was I drinking? I tend to ramble on forgetting to end a sentence. Most of the time I am just tired, but reading these old posts about the no name SE EL-34 is funny. I still have it and it is driving a pair of AMTs in a biamp situation. I still am using 12AX7s in it...
  14. Thatch_Ear

Heil AMTs and 2ways/3ways Made With Them

I have 4 pair of the large AMTs. I don't know what they came out of, but one pair has short leads from the diaphragms and I could see where the clips were glued to the top (or bottom) of the black plastic casing. One pair has been modified and even covered with wood laminate with lots of oil...
  15. Thatch_Ear

ESS AMT-1b Crossover

If you are going to use film caps they pretty much sound the same. You pay for name and most of all for tolerance. Once you start changing what is on the films or between them then that is a different story. If there is a way that you or the seller can check and you can get matched caps that...
  16. Thatch_Ear

Well the poll didnt work. Can that be fixed? Deleted?
  17. Thatch_Ear

I want to start a thread about AMTs, especially the large dipoles and talk about what has been done with them after being on ESS cabinets. I wasn't sure whether or not to put this in DIY but thoughtvthere would be more traffic in here. I have had an AMT for between 10 and 15 years. I have paired...
  18. Thatch_Ear

Amp feet recomendations?

Yea, pucks are large, but like I said they come in handy for letting air through around amps and I use them with the feet or without. They are good for sticking some sorbothane on and placing the feet on that for good isolation. I just found them so useful that I have bought 24 of the things. If...
  19. Thatch_Ear

Just found this Frazier Speaker

Frazier built speakers but not drivers. I had some old 2 ways that had alnico drivers and a single 3 uF Tiger cap for the crossover. The woofers were 8"ers made by Utah, baskets and dust covers painted Frazier Blue with a round gold Frazier sticker in the middle of the dust cover. They were...
  20. Thatch_Ear

"Vintage speaker" at estate sale... what is it?

Looks like a triax. University would be a good guess. The low end of those were Heath Kits which were made by the same folks as made the Olson Triax and I think that was EV. Still I saw the L-pad cover and University is what popped into my head. I would have picked it up right then.
  21. Thatch_Ear

Amp feet recomendations?

I use hockey pucks. I buy them by the dozen. They come in handy for air space even when feet are on the gear. As far as vibration control I have no idea but it is a dense rubber and I don't think much will travel through that stuff.
  22. Thatch_Ear

DIY Power Cables

Why don't you stop pounding sand? That is another simple question.
  23. Thatch_Ear

Passive or active ?

I kind of skipped a few of the posts but wanted to add my bit right away. I have a 3400 in my system as we speak. Altec 416s/ Heil AMT1s and I haven't decided on what kind of AMT I want to use for the highs. Thing is I listened to "Cash, The Man Comes Around" which is a pretty emotional tune...
  24. Thatch_Ear

So I walk into a GW and leave with...

Wow, what a steal. I read a review where they were considered a steal at $2500. These will be wonderful and you must be having a good time getting them dialed into your room.
  25. Thatch_Ear

DIY Power Cables

Well, there I was looking around in the garage and I came across at least 15' of Carol 12/4. It just so happens I have some AC plugs on the way from Japan. Not great ones, but copper base metal if indeed it will make a difference. I hope so. The question I have is where to add the extra 12 AWG...
Back
Top Bottom