Search results

1. South3rn

Gone over to the dark side..High end cables

iluvanalog......it's OK. Thanks for covering my back. But.... I thought it was funny.
  2. South3rn

Gone over to the dark side..High end cables

Well I guess I am a denizen of group 1, tho I don't much give a rats patootie what other people do. I run Blue Jeans cable Interconnects and speaker cables. I use them because I like the quality of their stuff and the workmanship. Who Am I? Low post count, old man. In the 60s I was the...
  3. South3rn

My Hearing! (i.e. I think I'll hang myself in the basement.)

Morton I don't think you understand ccheaths post. He is saying that he used to be able to hear a sound.....say a 1000hz tone....played at a level of 65 Db. Now that is to soft. He can't hear it. They have to turn the sound level up to 95 Db before he can hear it. That's LOUD. His hearing is...
  4. South3rn

Planar/ electrostatic

Certainly some things to think about and several models to research..... Got on the Maggie user board...... One thing that was mentioned here and there......the MLs and Maggies both want to be off the wall a good ways.......Putting in a set of sepeakers that don't work in place of speakers...
  5. South3rn

Planar/ electrostatic

Hi Guys. I am moving and I have a problem. I love my system. But I am moving nto a mobil home and the listeningroom is only 12x13ft My current LR is 27x25! So my ESL Martin Logans fit, and sound wonderful. They are about 4 ft from the walls. But they won't even fit in the new...
  6. South3rn

Vintage and Modern, Not VS...

I dunno......... Yu can see my system in my sig..... I will guess that the 250M was mid 70s and the TT and Speakers are current models..... They sound like they were made for each other.......
  7. South3rn

What vintage gear are you playing?

My source and my output is thoroughly modern. But the stuff in the middle..... ain't. I love the sound.
  8. South3rn

If your happy with your system.....Leave a post

I am seriously happy. I didn't build it for you.....I built it for me. It has the perfect combination of warmth and detail. Thanks for everyone here who helped. I do not listen to any specifications. I listen to music.....and I am enjoying it like never before in my life.
  9. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Ramblin the wireless W2 doesn't help. It's basically the same thing as the Airport Express. It acts as the receiver. The transmitter OTOH, is internal to the Mac and no matter how many receivers you have, you only have 1 transmitter. So, multiple drops perhaps, but only 1 network at a time from...
  10. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Rats. Make that Double Rats. Back to the drawing board. Actually when I said I was typing on the internet and listening to AirPlay on my home system........ I was actually on the iMac......and assumed what would work there would work on my "mini laptop". The iPad. Not true. The iMac has a...
  11. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Oh, I won't keep them if they sound bad......... But if they do it will be a surprise.....everybody seems to love them.... Of course we all hear things differently....but I find that a large consensus opinion is a pretty good indicator...... BTW I came from Mt Holly,NJ..... northeast of...
  12. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Well, this thread was worth it's weight in Gold. Mostly because it made me think.......Lots of different ways........ I want to thank everybody that made positive contributions to the thread. What I have decided...... OK......first of all......I may be one of a few who has an iPad, but...
  13. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Geeze...a whole new world. How do you set level with those equators? Here is where I will be roughing it next summer. on the inside pix. the little table to the left will be where whateveritis will be located with a 26" TV above it...mounted,I think,to the cabinets. As you can see, my...
  14. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Now that, the audioengine, is possibly a real game changer..........and two of those next to each other.....terrible thing to do to stereo speakers...but.........they would fit. seems that just a universal dock (taking audio out of the headphone jack on an iPod is not satisfactory IMO)...
  15. South3rn

Low-Fi ?

Hi guys. Have a bit of a challenge. Bought a Coachmen Travel Trailer, more or less permanently installed in a NE PA campground. In the Pocono mountains. It is a single wide with no slide outs......so space is at a premium. No FM reception to speak of. I have every intention of spending 3...
  16. South3rn

What's Your Favorite "Storytelling" Song?

When you asked about a story.....for some crazy reason i thought of The Story....by Brandi Carlile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pQLtHTPaI Sorry if you have to listen to a CYA by our resident. It's only 30 seconds.... All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many...
  17. South3rn

Integrated Amp Mid Range Control

Well, it seems to me....that if you roll off the lows and the highs.......you have done the same thing as emphasizing the midrange? (I have to admit that my Marantz preamp has a midrange "tone control". Other than a twist on it on day one to see if it worked, it stays in the flat position.)
  18. South3rn

Budget preamp - should I be looking any further than an Emotiva USP-1?

Ya know. My main pre is over 30 years old. At only $382 in it with a 5 year warranty..........I do believe I am going to keep it as a backup.
  19. South3rn

Marantz 250M

Was browsing around the forums....came across a fellow who bought the Emotiva Pre and decided he liked another one he had a little better. Sorta like me....... He decided to keep the Emotiva as a backup. Hmmmmmnnnnnn. Brand new Preamp. Really good Phono preamp stage. Very quiet. Nice remote...
  20. South3rn

Budget preamp - should I be looking any further than an Emotiva USP-1?

I have one that I bought just 3 weeks ago. I am sending it back because it tends to overdrive my Marantz Power amp, Of course I control the volume....but still the upper half of the volume control is useless. Probably a function of the amp/speakers as much as the pre, but what is, is. anyway...
  21. South3rn

Family Favorites/Prejudices About Audio

I am my family. We never argue about Audio. Women? yes. Audio? Never.
  22. South3rn

Marantz 250M

I don't know. I don't have them yet. But one set I asked about, the SELLER said it doesn't work. That was enough to slow me down....... I should have asked who your seller was........ I now have ordered a set from MAI QIAO ZHEN .
  23. South3rn

Marantz 250M

Retuning the Emotiva. It overdrives the marantz as I feared. The maximum I would ever drive it was about the 10 oclock position. Normal was at about 8...the volume control had about 1/4 inch of usable range. It sounded great tho.....maybe a bit too bright....and no way to roll it off. I would...
  24. South3rn

The old Stereo Shops

I just bought a Marantz Model 150 from Echo Audio in Portland.........It's on the truck......
  25. South3rn

Speaker/Amp Current Rating Question

If you can find a chart showing impedance/frequency.....then look at onemugs post again. My Martin Logan are hard to drive. Why? Because while rated at 6 ohms........that is not always true. The last chart I looked at showed 1.6 Ohms @ 20KHZ. Now that takes some serious current! Another thing to...
Back
Top Bottom