Search results

1. mr_light

Classic NAD pre-amp connect to Class D amp

I am using a NAD 7240PE receiver as a preamp for a pair of Aiyima a07 amps. This adds gain and loudness compensation that I like for low volume listening. I think it sounds good. It also adds a limited amount of input switching.
  2. mr_light

My brother forced me to purchase a smartphone.

Keep it out of the bedroom or you will get no sleep! I wish I followed my own advice...
  3. mr_light

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

I know there are sustained power ratings (100watts 8ohms RMS for example) that very few chip amps are rated at these days. Are there standardized transient peak power ratings that would be meaningful for assessing "headroom" for peaks? I think many higher quality amps have more "headroom"...
  4. mr_light

Fosi BT20A Pro - I'm impressed

I also have a Fosi BT20A Pro. Sounds really good with my ADS L400s. It's nice having the tone controls to boost the bass a little bit when running without a sub. I kind of wish I had my Vandersteen speakers to test out the amp, they were always really tough for any of the chip amps I tried to...
  5. mr_light

Replacement counterweights? Are there universal options?

In the mean time how about some modeling clay!
  6. mr_light

Do I want HD Radio?

I like the available HD subchannels which add additional variety to what's available in analog. Near me WAMU has a subchannel dedicated to bluegrass and CSPAN radio offers three subchannels versus one in analog. All depends on what's available in your area.
  7. mr_light

ADS 780/2 vs others

Additional Info: Part Number 206-0355 This woofer is used in - L780-2, L570-2, L690 If you see any of these cheap you could scavenge the drivers. I would set an automated search on EBAY for "206-0355 woofer".
  8. mr_light

Please bring me up to speed on streaming music… It’s been a while for me!

The Amazon music App has an option to display the current bitrate being played. I am able to stream up to 24 bit/192khz from my FireTV Stick (latest) plugged into my older JVC TV, through an optical cable to my Schiit Modi DAC, into preamp/amp. Sounds really good to me. Note: not all TVs will...
  9. mr_light

Which “inexpensive” speakers were you blown away by?

This thread would be more useful if this was about actually "inexpensive " good sounding speakers rather than another thread about scoring Klipschorns for $5...
  10. mr_light

Rhapsody in Blue at 100 today.

Guess what I just watched being performed a the Library of Congress...
  11. mr_light

Aiyima A07 Review

I somehow ended up with four AIYIMA A07s and am trying to figure out if the concerns about sound quality with 48volt power supplies are only at high volume or if this applies to low to mid volume? I like the idea of more headroom for transients when playing at lower volumes. Also wondering...
  12. mr_light

I only buy one brand of speakers

I have bought more than a dozen pair of ADS speakers and never been disappointed.
  13. mr_light

Philips GA 212 New Tonearm?

If you want to maintain the auto shutoff then no.
  14. mr_light

Better laptop power supply for a compact class d tpa3255 amp

Warning about Digishuo 48V/5A power supply from eBay and Amazon. Wanted something cheaper than the FOSI 48V/5A and found this on on eBay at half the price. Nice big case and does measure 48V but very light. I found it also on Amazon and thought I would check the reviews. Somebody had posted...
  15. mr_light

Are entry level decks actually better than totl models?

The advantage of a three head deck for me was the ability to actually monitor to your recording real time while adjusting bias and azimuth. I was able to really dial in my Technics RS-M 95 deck to create fantastic recordings (to my ears). For prerecorded tapes three head decks are a waste.
  16. mr_light

Realistic Minimus 7s - are they really any good?

I had about half a dozen pairs that I found at the local thrift store for $10 or less. After listening to them beside my ADS 200C, L210, 300C, and a couple of mini Canton speakers I decided I couldn't even justify giving them to friends and donated them back to the thrift store.
  17. mr_light

Anyone using battery packs to power portable music systems?

Since I mentioned I was going to test "Fosi Audio BT20A Pro 300W x2 TPA3255 Bluetooth Amp with my Greenworks 40Volt 4amp/hour battery packs" I should say I did and it sounds great (fuller bass, as loud as I care to listen to). Also tested AIYIMA A07 TPA3255. Tested with ADS 200Cs, L400s...
  18. mr_light

Question about music from TV thru optical to a DAC/stereo

I run the Amazon Music app on FireTV Stick my JVC TV optical to Schiit Modi DAC. It indicates it's streaming 24/192 all the way through. Sounds good to my ears...
  19. mr_light

Anyone using battery packs to power portable music systems?

I have a collection of battery packs for tools (Milwaukee M18 18volt) and decided I would try using one to power a portable music system made with one of my stack of little chip amps. I hooked up a Fosi Audio ZK-502T Bluetooth 5.0 Amplifier with Bass and Treble Control TPA3116D2 50W x 2...
  20. mr_light

SACD player advice

I have several Denon DVD players that also play SACDs including a DVD-3910 that seems like a high quality unit. Are the DVD players that also play SACDs not good?
  21. mr_light

Friendly speaker debate- old vs new

I bet Stradivarius wishes he had Neodymium Magnets!
  22. mr_light

Never said they do sound better. Just saying with newer materials and technology the tools are there to make better sounding speakers.
  23. mr_light

There is every reason new speakers should be able to sound better than their predecessors. Many of us old timers prefer to rely on the decades of reviews and opinions by other audiophiles to help us filter through the thousands of available speakers. If a speaker has gotten positive reviews...
  24. mr_light

ADS L620 vs. L730

I have L630, L730, L880/2 and had L620s that I briefly considered converting to L630s. I did side by side comparison of the L630 with L620 and found the midrange didn't have the same presence with the L620. I ended up giving the L620 away (to another AKer) so you can tell where my comparison...
  25. mr_light

Amazon Prime Music

I use Echos attached to amplifiers and speakers all over the house. For my family the simplicity is the critical factor. Sounds pretty good.
Back
Top Bottom