Search results

1. bythbook

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Streaming HIFI from Tidal!
  2. bythbook

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

my two cents on these speakers (and on this old thread) - the first few (20 or so?) pages of this thread helped me decide to get a pair of Dentons 8oth; at first I was mildly disappointed with them - they sounded not bad, better after a couple of weeks of steady use - sounded quite like my KLH...
  3. bythbook

FOLLOW UP - multimeter tested silent speaker - NO READING???

...follow up & the ending to this story.... I found a midrange speaker on ebay - $40 & bought it. One week later, it arrived, it tested fine, it went in the box & success! ...thanks for the help, AK! (and now I have a multimeter for future challenges, too!)
  4. bythbook

previewing KG4s - anything I should be looking for?

thanks... good advice! I rarely see the big 'uns up for sale around here, sadly, but hope springs eternal, & all that.
  5. bythbook

Am i crazy?..

You are a collector, not a hoarder... and now your collection has a theme, a focus! ...congratulations!
  6. bythbook

I've got to save these - take a look at the construction... they weigh a ton!
  7. bythbook

I don't think so... it's pretty basic. The speakers were quite wonderful - makes me WANT... NS-1000 pair!
  8. bythbook

I just found the super-thread, re DC offset, thanks. Boy, I hope the crossover's OK... and that the mid just crapped out... only cuz of the $$ invested in the "new" one on the way....
  9. bythbook

I missed that, m_v, sorry - when I test the amp with the DMM, should there be a source "playing"? Or is having the amp powered up enough?
  10. bythbook

hahaha I wanted to start a thread, "why do speakers die?" I don't listen at high SPL (silly newbie me, I almost typed "volume") - but... I was farting around with these speakers and an old Yamaha integrated (A-700U, I think) and I MAY have cranked it, briefly.... but I don't know. Is there any...
  11. bythbook

Thanks for the help, AK. Y'know I was just coming to really appreciate these - set up in a new smaller room, a new amp (Yamaha A-S501), just nailed the placement/height... hope the replacement gets here quick. ...hahahah, great JP quote!
  12. bythbook

yeah. dead dead dead. sucks that I was just coming to appreciate these - I'm set up in a small room, just bought a new amp (Yamaha A-S501), got the placement and height just right in the new room.... Anyway, thanks for the help, AK! [can't wait for the replacement mid to arrive!]
  13. bythbook

I'm ready for anything!
  14. bythbook

ah, thanks - apparently the -690 mid is larger than the -670. a pair of -670 mids sold last night at that place. I didn't go for 'em as I was waiting for confirmation/evidence that mine is dead. ...oh hell, I just went ahead and bought one from there, B-I-N. (Proper JA0601A speaker.) What's...
  15. bythbook

well. As best as I could, I tested the wires from the "lugs" in the back of the speakers to as close to the driver (cone? dome? dustcover?) as I could. (Those wires are fine, flexible, fragile, coated with insulation - I had to carefully scrape some of that away)... and I got readings. My DMM...
  16. bythbook

I got the screen off - now how would I go about checking resistance between the" terminal lug and the tinsel lead" with my new multimeter? (I'm really ignorant....) the top wire - tinsel lead? - in the image looks really thin & seems to be quite more flexible than the other one... as always...
  17. bythbook

thanks for the link - I had read that, but missed the "prying up the gasket" - I'm gonna give that a try!
  18. bythbook

thanks... this speaker doesn't seem to have lugs...cloth covered wires coming from under the magnet. the speakers have a wire grill that doesn't seem to pop off (glued? soldered?).... ...he's dead, Jim.
  19. bythbook

OK, got my multimeter.... Nothing. Nada. Dead. Just to make sure my meter works & I'm probing the right thingies, I tested a tweeter from a Boston A-100 and a Smaller Advent woofer - both registered as they should have. ...so, friends, any hope for this poor ol' speaker? thanks again,
  20. bythbook

thanks, I'm in. It'll be here in a couple of days... so what do I do with it?
  21. bythbook

does this sound like the basic stuff I'm looking for: to measure : current, voltage, and resistance, as well as continuity, transistor, and diode testing. (I am totally at sea about this stuff....)
  22. bythbook

cripes, I just looked on Amazon - there are at least ten zillion different ones (I understand precision is important in this game...) at eleventy six prices (ditto). I would certainly want a DMM that would test crossovers (coils and caps). Any suggestions? Anything under $40 with all of those...
  23. bythbook

...count me in (on the Meter-go-round). I assume that the basic meters will have the functions necessary to basic mid-fi metering...? (ah, m_v, asking for trouble is an ongoing personal failing....)
  24. bythbook

I tested the individual midrange. Just a quick touch (used an AA battery). I don't have a multimeter - wouldn't know what to do with it.... Should I get one!? (I love new toys... and learning opportunities!)
Back
Top Bottom