Search results

1. I.R.Brainiac

Yamaha RX-V1500 + Pioneer S-910/710...

I have used almost your exact setup.:) DSS-9s in the front,S910 sides and S710 rears.(center was whatever I could EQ close enough) A decent sub for the center everything else set fullrange.Scary good.:) Those woofers may be brittle to handle but playing them at loud but reasonable levels wont...
  2. I.R.Brainiac

Pioneer S-910, home and working...

All the speakers in this lineup measure very well with DSS-9 having a small bass bump. It is also rear ported and placement related to the wall matters a lot. I have been re-EQing a lot of music lately and use the DSS-9s as a final check to see if I am done. They,and their siblings,are really...
  3. I.R.Brainiac

Rob's OBLA-33 (Open Baffle Line Array) project.

Speakers should only measure flat(with a swept sine wave) at 1 meter and line arrays are hard to measure that close.(dont worry,the listening position is what is important anyway) From the listening position,pink noise will have about a 4.5 dB drop per octave.3dB is just from being pink noise...
  4. I.R.Brainiac

Dye stains (I think gel stains are dye stains) go on almost like translucent paint rather than penetrating oil pigments. Water based acrylics applied with a sponge dry super fast between coats. You just use it thinner and build it up with more coats. The results will be as smooth and flat as...
  5. I.R.Brainiac

Gel stains are good for blotchy wood. Sand the poop out of them.The finer you sand,the more closed off the grain will be. Depending on your color preferences,I usually just go natural with a rubbed on water based acrylic. I thin the acrylic slightly and apply it in several layers with a dish...
  6. I.R.Brainiac

Thoughts on full Linaeum HT system

My current setup is a lot like what you are planning. I have done both 2 centers at 4 ohms and 4 centers at 8 ohms. They were also mounted to the tv screen like you mentioned. The aging Pioneer HTR has never complained.I dont get crazy loud and have multiple subs for the lowend.I also run a...
  7. I.R.Brainiac

Rippin Blues Guitarist

A 3rd vote for Chris Duarte...Texas boy dontcha know. ;)
  8. I.R.Brainiac

I am a Rush fan...have been since 1975. But it is easy to see why someone might not care for them. ;) I had always hoped they would put out some instrumental albums and let Alex have some freedom.He is incredible every time they gave him some room to play. :)
  9. I.R.Brainiac

Thats so cool. Thank you. :)
  10. I.R.Brainiac

Interesting,thank you. :)
  11. I.R.Brainiac

Thanks...I thought maybe my info on those was suspect. Is the 910 tweeter berylium or aluminum? I dislike spreading false information. :no: :music:
  12. I.R.Brainiac

another great video and why we need to pay attention to the room.

That was very dramatic...the room became very controlled. Unless your recording in an appropriate space that sounds complimentary,I wouldl take that control everytime. Even in my listening spaces I prefer to lean to the dead side a little. I like being able to simulate any space I like with...
  13. I.R.Brainiac

Nice. :) These are very accurate speakers...the 710 I measured was extremely flat across the bandwidth. I thought an SX-737 sounded very sweet with all my DSS and S series. Unless I am wrong...the 910 has a berrylium ribbon tweeter like the DSS-9.??? The 710 has an aluminum ribbon.(Still...
  14. I.R.Brainiac

Pioneer S-710

Based on everything I have read online,the HPM 60 would probably suit me better than the 100. Havnt heard either one yet. I have some CS a 500s that sound pretty nice and I was able to refoam the tweeters.But that recessed front and no mirror imaging is killing me. I have a little woodshop...
  15. I.R.Brainiac

Pioneer S-710

Glue on brother,glue on. ;) The DSS-9 is the only speaker I have owned so far that I see no reason to sell or look for an upgrade. It would take a pretty sophisticated speaker to get me to part with the 710s and 910s. An electrostatic with subwoofer might edge them out. :) Not super dooper...
  16. I.R.Brainiac

Pioneer S-710

I also had to refoam all of mine.It was scary but not difficult.They were actually easy to prep because they were stiff. I was more than a little worried about cracking one but all went well. :) Rubber surrounds will probably change them a little...maybe play a hair deeper and less...
  17. I.R.Brainiac

Pioneer S-710

Good lord,wth! I just cried a little when I saw those. :( I have the DSS-9D,S910 and S710.They are all very nice and all sound very similar.The DSS-9D obviously the most refined.(and heavy) The mirror imaging of the drivers creates a great soundstage.They all hit deep and clarity of mids and...
  18. I.R.Brainiac

I'll make that foam fit...

Looks like the woofer from my Bic Venturi. :)
  19. I.R.Brainiac

Dynamic Range Day

Loudness compression isnt quite as bad as I used to think,but,there is a breaking point. The pink noise I use to measure speakers and set up rooms has a Dynamic Range of 9.More than most modern music. Thats right...pink NOISE...has more dynamic range than a Cheryl Crow album.It saddens me. :(...
  20. I.R.Brainiac

Ears, and how they relate to audio perception

Heheh...that was one of the images I was thinking of when I wrote that previous post. :D It's a rotatable listening post for incoming aircraft. It has made me wonder in the past if audiophiles would be willing to wear any kind of hearing enhancement (electronic or physical) if it really...
  21. I.R.Brainiac

Need Help, New here, Just got some Pioneer DSS-E10

Yep...not much of a gamble. I have the S 710 and S 910 and they only have single voicecoils...no EBD drive in the crossover. They still play pretty darn deep. :) You have me hoping I find some without woofers now...thats just not right.;)
  22. I.R.Brainiac

If all you could get was a DVC 8 ohm per coil woofer,that would work,BUT you will lose 3dB of the lowest bass. You could live with it...they go really low already.An EQ bumped up 3dB around 30 hz would even them back out.
  23. I.R.Brainiac

Not what I was suggesting. the DSS crossover has 2 sets of wires running to the woofer...one set sees 8 ohms and the other 4 ohms. Look at that pdf I linked to. :)
  24. I.R.Brainiac

Correct...you dont need a DVC woofer if you use 2 or even 3 woofers. If I had thos DSS E10s this is what I would do...mainly because I already have the 9s and I know how good they are.I wouldnt be able to resist trying to get even more out of them. Using multiple woofers will decrease...
  25. I.R.Brainiac

Yes ,you are right it can...actually 4,8, and 16.(8 ohms by using only one VC...the other could be wired to itself and used to cancel out some distortion...like wiring two woofers opposite and installing one of them backwards) :)
Back
Top Bottom