Search results

1. RxDx

labels for cables

What do people use for permanent cable labeling?
  2. RxDx

T-9090 II tuning indicator

I am now the proud owner of two Onkyos that have the same indicator issue. At actual frequency, LEDs say I need to tune higher. One step higher, and the LEDs say I'm on frequency. Is this an adjustment I can handle, or do they need some level of alignment, and/or parts? edit: This one is...
  3. RxDx

Tuning the Denon TU-604CI HD module

Scored a new HD module for mine, and I think I've figured out everything, except how to tune secondary HD channels. On the Sony, one just hits the tuning knob and it cycles through however many extra channels there are. On the Denon, it just moves to the next frequency. The manual is no help.
  4. RxDx

AR -3a midrange question

This is blown, right? It's in an AR-3a.
  5. RxDx

Mystery 80s New Wave

I pulled down several boxes of cassettes and found a bunch of songs I wanted in my current (digital) collection. Shazam nailed most of 'em, but a few are still unid'd. There are six songs, let's start here: unknown - don't look down (torch song - don't look now) I'm hosting these on G**gle on...
  6. RxDx

EV Marquis / SP12B

Picked these up today. I'm new to the EV world, so I'm wondering what I have. They must be entry point- just the woofer with the smaller magnet. Both sound ~good, there's nothing they need to operate as they were built. I'm also wondering if it's worth filling the boxes, squawkers and...
  7. RxDx

AR-2 power handling

I've not been clear on how much power the old ARs will take, but I think I found out about the 2. I have a pair hooked to a Denon AVR 987, 100w/ch. That runs through several switch boxes to my wall of sound, these being hooked to a Niles SPS-4, rated to handle 100w. So a while back one channel...
  8. RxDx

Janszen 1-30 repair

I'd like to get some help and document repair of a couple of Janszens I got three years ago. I also had to chase down the schematic. Fortunately, Janszen had a version. The one that's commonly available applies to serial #5760 and above. Both mine were lower serials. I'm posting the "original"...
  9. RxDx

KLH speakers reference thread (original models/Henry Kloss era) 1957-1977

Henry Kloss left Acoustic Research in 1957, as the AR-2 was being finalized. He started KLH in 1957, designing or directing the design of the original series of speakers. KLH was bought by Singer in 1964, though several* of the original models were sold until about 1977. *Models Five, Six...
  10. RxDx

Help with spider / recone

I'm reconing some HPM 900 woofers. The graphite cones were entirely gone. I ordered recone kits from Speaker Exchange. Cones look great, voice coil looks great, but the spider concerns me. It's much stiffer than original, if it was the same size. But it's actually a smaller diameter, and on top...
  11. RxDx

HPM-900 rescue operation

Found these today for a very attractive price. Are they worth saving? One has a cigarette burn on the top. Both need the woofers reconed. Don't know that I've seen a woofer with a 2-1/2" voice coil. I haven't tested the other drivers yet. vintage-knob says these are an upgrade to the HPM-100...
  12. RxDx

Onkyo M-504 amp woes

My main amp has started distorting and losing power in one channel. Music peaks are down (compared to the other channel), and quiet passages are way down or even missing completely. The meters bear this out. I've played with the speaker selector, but that doesn't help- apparently the fault is...
  13. RxDx

Advent Legacy rescue/resto

Big ol' boxes, Advent on the name plate (I think they're Legacies), blown surrounds, of course, but hard to turn down for $4.98. As I'm digging in, it's apparent the voice coil has collided with the magnet quite a few times. But it didn't burn, and I was able to straighten the former. I think...
  14. RxDx

KLH Model One(s) and Janszen 1-30(s)

I've been watching this auction for a month. It even came up on CL, because they were stored about twenty minutes from me. I couldn't believe no one mentioned it. So I finally pulled the trigger. There are some issues right off the bat. One of the tweeters needs some electrical work. That isn't...
  15. RxDx

Creative response to old KLH recap problem

No way he's stumped by that pesky epoxy slug and restricted access... item 171976768669 on the auction site
  16. RxDx

Acoustat Carbostar 215?

That's the closest I can get to identifying these little units (exactly one reference). 5-1/4" stout little woofer (719 code suggests it was made Carbonneau) and small dome tweeter. 16" x 10" x7" boxen. Haven't tried listening to them yet. They need some attention.
  17. RxDx

Denon AVR-987 weak channels

The left side has very low output on both speaker terminals and line outs (FL). Overall, sound is good, but it should be much louder at maximum volume. I may not know how to operate the thing yet, though- it's a recent acquisition. Right now, I'd like to address the left channel. I have a...
  18. RxDx

Identity? 15" woofer

Modern-ish drivers in some old cabinets. Hard to resist for $6.98, though my expectations would not have been quite as high if I could have gotten into the cabinets first :-) They look like Realistic 40-1301A, or maybe some CTS units? The Radio Shack support page...
  19. RxDx

Pioneer CS-66G woofer problem

The woofer in one of these is bound up. The voice coil is being pinched by the magnet. There are no visible signs that it shifted from being dropped or whatever, so I'm not sure how to fix it, or if it can be.
  20. RxDx

Royal 6 and 6a

Are these worth new surrounds? (the 6a). They were a house brand for hi-fi retailers in the 70s. The woofer is a Rola, from 1973. I haven't pulled any other drivers. The 6s sound surprisingly good. They're both sealed boxes, but the 6a is clearly lower quality (veneer vs. vinyl, cloth...
  21. RxDx

Radio static while tuning

I have an old Radio Shack 12-650a am/fm radio, their version of the GE Superadio I guess. Anyway, it makes significant noise when tuning, and I wanted suggestions before spraying various solvents around inside it. It's pretty grimy, so I'm giving the rest of it a bath.
  22. RxDx

Crossover question

I'm digging around in some old Stromberg-Carlson speakers, and this is what I find under some tape around a cap. Can I, say, gently heat the wax and slide the coil off so I can replace the cap? Is the cap part of the effective value of the coil in the circuit? I've never seen anything like this.
  23. RxDx

JBL Lancer 77

Welp, I couldn't just leave this poor thing on its own in the electronics section. The price made it an easy choice. But it's still just one! I was playing with the idea of a channel per speaker until I opened it up :D I was curious to gauge the sound, being a AR/KLH guy, but the surrounds...
  24. RxDx

KLH Model Four refurb

It took me two years to finally commit. I couldn't deny it any more: the crossover was dragging down performance, and I really want to see how good a speaker this is. The Four ought to perform pretty closely to its contemporaries, but the refurbed AR2ax was kicking its ass. So, of course...
  25. RxDx

Stromberg-Carlson RS-406 RW-489

Found these at a local yard sale today. They sound pretty good, if a little shy on the bottom end (compared to AR2ax/KLH Model Four), but I'm undecided what to do with them. The cabinets are underwhelming (porous pressed wood), but the drivers cost the equivalent of $1600 in today's dollars. And...
Back
Top Bottom