Search results

1. E

Philips 777 Headshell inquiry

Well, the headshell came in from Turntableneedles.com some days ago, and I must definitely recommend them! It arrived swiftly and is in mint condition. I received the same one as in the pictures mhardy posted above. I am currently waiting until Friday to order the cartridge/needle. It has been...
  2. E

Pioneer SX-890

Yup, I have also seen some 880's online with black faces. I think it looks *great* in black! As for selling, I don't really care what it can sell for honestly, as I do not plan on ever selling it ;) It is a great performer, and after buying quite a few amps over the years, this is bar none the...
  3. E

Pioneer SX-890

This weekend I hit up craigslist in my area to find someone had listed the SX-890 along with some Criterion speakers for $100. Well, I have always loved the Pioneer receivers, so I immediately called the seller and inquired. The receiver is near mint. All lights work and it works just fine. It...
  4. E

How big is your record collection?

I'm personally at about 60 (33 1/3 LP's) right now. I had a few hundred 10+ years ago, but foolishly sold them when I moved. One day I hit a garage sale with my kids and had my daughter ask me what "this" was (a record) which sparked me to get back into vinyl. Not to mention of course that music...
  5. E

Ohh, (not trying to press my luck here!) but I do have one last question for you: One of the hinges for the dust cover is really "creaky". It almost sounds like something about to break when opened, but it does open and close fine. The sound is scary however. I see in that diagram a...
  6. E

Great info, once again. I did not notice that these were transport locks initially, but now I see them and how they operate. Nice stuff. Can't wait to get this running now. I will definitely grab that JT-555 you recommended on next payday. Thanks again for everything!
  7. E

A couple of (not so great) pics of mine ;)
  8. E

From the looks of the connector itself (at the end of the tonearm) it does look like a pole on top and bottom. If the actual headshell utilizes both is another question that will be answered when it arrives ;)
  9. E

Also, I am sorry if I sound stupid, but where exactly are the transport locks on this unit? Is it the black knob under the platter? How do you know if it is locked/unlocked? I'm obviously new to all of this ;) Never had a "good" turntable back in the day!
  10. E

@lini: Ohh, since you seem very knowledgeable about this unit, I do have a question regarding the "stylus force" indicator. Mine does not show the bar at all that I see in pictures when on, but I am assuming (hoping) that this is merely because I have no stylus installed? Seems like a really...
  11. E

REALLY great info! Thank you for all of it, it is MUCH appreciated. The rubber feet (or what used to be rubber feet) must be a problem across the board. They were melted in the dust cover and dripping black goo all over the front when I picked it up yesterday. Whats a gooey mess. I cleaned it...
  12. E

Well, I listen to mosly 70's rock and roll...but not limited to it. I love The Beatles (like who doesn't) and Wings, Boston, Chicago, Floyd, Bowie, and so on. I don't have a huge collection, but a modest collection of certain things I like. I am always looking for more ;) Well, as for budget...
  13. E

I actually found ONE place on the net that had the headshell. This freebie now ran me $44 ;) Still, if it works fine it will be worth it. It looks superb. Now, it takes standard 1/2" cartridges as far as what I am reading. Any recommendations for a cheap/decent cartridge/styli combo for vintage...
  14. E

Hello all! I actually found a Philips 777 turntable today in the trash, took it home, cleaned it up and plugged it in. Seems to function fine, although of course I cannot play anything with it because the owner removed the headshell. So now I am looking for a compatible...
  15. E

Sylvania RS-350W

Thanks for that info! Amazing that with all of the WWW and it's information that the information about some of these devices is so sparse. 1968 eh? Wow, this unit is seven years older than myself ;)
  16. E

Sylvania RS-350W

Great! Thanks for the link and the pointers! Glad I found this friendly place...I'll be visiting regularly ;)
  17. E

Sylvania RS-350W

Nope, not yet. Actually never even opened it. When I purchased the Marantz, it was so clean and new (it is an SR 2000) and it has not a single mark or scratch on it. I was actually a little worried about ruining it until I read a little more about working on these units. For now I have just been...
  18. E

Sylvania RS-350W

Yeah, it's not bad at all. I simply spliced a pair of rca plugs to some speaker wire and hooked up two small speakers to it to test. Plugged a cd player into the tape in and it works nicely. Boy did they built em to last in those days ;) Now if only I can get my Marantz amp to work 100%. That...
  19. E

Sylvania RS-350W

Here it is. It works fine too..just tested it ;)
  20. E

Sylvania RS-350W

Hello all! First post here. I found the site google searching vintage solid state equipment of course ;) I have been into vintage equipment for years, and I just plain love it. Although, at least in my area, it is like a needle in a haystack to find even one piece of equipment. This is why...
Back
Top Bottom