Search results

1. YamahaFreak

Fisher CA-35 slider EQ controls?

(I got a pop-up that informed me of another member having this exact issue with this exact amp in 2016, unresolved!) I picked up a 1984 Fisher CA-35 integrated amplifier at Goodwill yesterday...seemed to work well until I went to adjust the equalizer sliders. None of them except for the 4.5 kHz...
  2. YamahaFreak

$14 Goodwill steal; Yamaha NS-A100 3-way speakers.

I realize I'm necroing a bit of an old thread here, but since I own the same set of speakers and have extensive personal history with them (and my old thread on this same issue was linked here) I figured I'd weigh in. I'm pretty firmly of the belief that dried out ferrofluid is indeed the...
  3. YamahaFreak

Mach One woofer trim rings??

I am attempting to refoam the woofers on my Mach Ones, but I've run into a problem - I cannot figure out how to safely remove the hard plastic trim rings on the woofer frames. They're glued down very firmly, and I'm not sure how to remove them. I've tried the heat gun...no dice, and I'm afraid...
  4. YamahaFreak

Sony APM Questions

I am familiar with the 22ES having rubber surrounds, as well as a couple other models. Yes, the 615s are probably late 80s or maybe even early 90s models, and are nowhere near the quality of the original APM designs. The woofer and presumably midrange have a conventional round voice coil and...
  5. YamahaFreak

Sony APM Questions

Hi all, I have recently become fascinated with Sony's curious APM square speaker driver technology, and managed to find two different pairs rather cheaply. As I understand it, there are a few distinct 'classes' of APM speakers, with the earlier ones being better quality (sonically and build...
  6. YamahaFreak

JVC does not get much respect

I am very much enjoying the JVC JA-S22 amplifier I acquired in a trade earlier this year. After replacing a glass diode and the two meter lamps, it looks great! It's a bit beat up cosmetically and the volume knob isn't original (anyone know anyone with one?) but sounds amazing. I'm using it as a...
  7. YamahaFreak

AC Smoke Alarm Won't Behave

As stated earlier in thread, a battery-powered unit is just down the hall. Hmmm, seems the Americium going bad can't possibly be the cause...its half-life is well over 400 years! :D
  8. YamahaFreak

Yes, this unit's detecting chamber contains three microcuries of Americium 241. I am well-versed in radioactive materials and know better than to attempt opening the chamber! I had briefly considered that maybe the half-life of the material had been reached, or it had deteriorated to the point...
  9. YamahaFreak

Don't worry, there is a newer battery-powered unit just down the hall from this one. I'm asking about fixing this unit because it's an interesting antique. :P
  10. YamahaFreak

Bottom of board
  11. YamahaFreak

Top of board
  12. YamahaFreak

Instructions inside front cover
  13. YamahaFreak

Having to upload images one per post, as my iPhone apparently doesn't support multiple upload...sorry, guys! Also, they may be rotated incorrectly. Rear panel
  14. YamahaFreak

I have been everywhere looking for answers to this issue and have found none. I have an old General Electric model 8202 smoke alarm. It came with the house, so probably built sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. It's an AC-powered unit with no batteries. Here's the deal: it randomly buzzes and...
  15. YamahaFreak

Technics SA-310

I know I'm necro-ing this really old thread, but...I found an SA-310 myself today. Thrift store owner gave it to me, complaining of a 'burning smell' from within. I got it home and power tested it, and didn't notice any odor beyond that traditional 'warm and toasty' amplifier smell, haha. Using...
  16. YamahaFreak

JVC does not get much respect

Jvc ja-s22 For this thread's 500th post, I'll say that I am very happy with my JVC JA-S22 amplifier, which I received for free because it wasn't powering on. After replacing a glass diode in the power supply (that was broken by an errant penny!) and both fuse lamps in the power meters, this guy...
  17. YamahaFreak

Hi there! I have to ask...what's the story behind your avatar? :D

Hi there! I have to ask...what's the story behind your avatar? :D
  18. YamahaFreak

Yamaha NS-A100: muffled high end!

This has been stymying me for quite some time. I've had these speakers longer than any other; they were my first, inherited from my parents, whom bought them new in 1986. All drivers, including the woofer surrounds, are original. Over the past few years, the sound has been gradually changing...
  19. YamahaFreak

Matsushita Tuner Issue

Okay, this one has had me stumped for a number of years. There is a Matsushita digital tuner that is built into many Panasonic, Quasar, Technics, etc. amplifiers and receivers. It is characterized by its blue backlit LCD display and red 'Quartz Lock' LED. Every example of this unit that I have...
  20. YamahaFreak

Pioneer HPM-700 at Thrift: Go or No?

No problem! Let me know how you like them, even though I bet I already know the answer. :thmbsp:
  21. YamahaFreak

What's Pioneer in your rig?

As of October, a very long sought-after pair of CS-99A speakers. :thmbsp:
  22. YamahaFreak

I noticed that about my own, as well!

I noticed that about my own, as well!
  23. YamahaFreak

For those wondering about the 60 vs. 700 woofers in the HPM-700 cabinets, it may be just me (or room placement) but I believe my ears picked up slightly lower bass response from the 60 woofers--but it wasn't enough for me to leave them in. Plus, I just think the originals look better in there...
  24. YamahaFreak

Janikphoto, sorry if my post came off as asking about the worth of the speakers; I intended to chronicle the repair and restore after purchase moreso than just asking how much I should spend. My apologies. ^^;
  25. YamahaFreak

I totally forgot to update this thread! Oops. :D Both HPM-700s now have the correct graphite cone woofers in them, and boy do they sound amazing. I'm so glad I thought to go back for these speakers! They are now pulling semi-permanent duty as the 'B' speakers in the bedroom. I'll try to get a...
Back
Top Bottom