Search results

1. catama

McIntosh Cabinet Repair SF Bay Area

Shouting out to see if anyone knows of someone in the SF Bay Area that could repair a broken L12 cabinet for a reasonable cost. I took my MA 5100 to a local repair shop and the tech broke the cabinet when removing the amp from it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. catama

A Simple System for the New Year

MA 5100 integrated amp, Thorens TD 125 MKII TT and Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers. Simple, but breathtaking sound. A great start to the New Year!!
  3. catama

Discovering Steve Miller

I’m 72 and arriving late to the party. Found an old Steve Miller record - Recall the beginning…A Journey from Eden - buried among my records that I pulled out and played today. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is and how well recorded. I never really got in to Steve Miller when I was...
  4. catama

Possible deal on MC275 in Sf Bay Area

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/d/san-jose-mcintosh-275-sansui-qrx-900/7700587228.html If this is not a scam, someone should jump on it. No connection to the poster. Saw it this morning when I was surfing.
  5. catama

Galion integrated tube amp

https://www.galion-audio.com/pages/product-info Anyone have any experience with this amp? The buzz about it suggests it may be really good.
  6. catama

Speaker impedance rating and amplifiers

Please excuse an electronics illiterate if the questions are too basic, but I need to know. When a speaker is rated at say 4 ohms I have heard that the amplifier that drives them has to have a high wattage rating to overcome the impedance. I recently obtained a pair of speakers rated at 4 ohms...
  7. catama

Pairing C32 and MC2505

Can you use a C32 preamp with a MC2505 amp? Is there an input impedance mismatch that could damage either unit? the manual for the C32 says the amp has to have an input impedance of 500k ohms or higher The manual for the MC 2505 says it has an input impedance of 200k ohms Thanks for any...
  8. catama

Best small footprint bookshelf speakers

Thanks in advance for your responses! Looking to get a set of really small, but audiophile grade bookshelf speakers. Current set up is Parasound Z3 series pre-amp,amp, phono pre and tuner, ARXA turntable, Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II speakers and passive subwoofer. The Ensemble speakers...
  9. catama

C32 slight buzzing at start-up

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any help. ‘I hooked up a C32 that I was using in another system to a MC2505. On start-up, there is a very slight, but short buzzing sound that goes away. After that, both units are dead silent and so far have played exceptionally well without any issues...
  10. catama

Scott 299A 8ohm tap question

My Scott 299A has two wires coming out of the unit and connected to the 8 ohm tap. See photo below. Why is this and what does it mean? Can I connect 8 ohm speakers? If I can, do I remove the existing connection or do I connect on top of the connection? Not quite sure what to do here. Any help...
  11. catama

C32 ribbon problem

Recently purchased a C32 to mate with my MC240. So far the combination is exceptional and I am enjoying the hell out my system. Now I hear the C32 may have issues with ribbon connectors. I haven’t noticed anything untoward with the C32. What are the symptoms if the ribbon connectors fail? What...
  12. catama

Is my MX110 phono stage in need of repair?

i have the older version of the MX110 preamp hooked up to an MC240 amp. I am happy with everything except the phono stage. There is a hum that comes out of the speakers for both phono inputs that I can’t get rid of. It is definitely not the turntable. I hooked up the turntable to a Cambridge...
  13. catama

Left my Scott 299 on for one week unconnected to speakers!

As the title says, my Scott 299 was left on for a week unconnected to any speakers or without a load. Nothing happened! It did not explode, no tubes died or redlined, transformers were fine. I hooked up a pair of speakers and it plays fine. I'm listening to it now. I read here and elsewhere...
  14. catama

Help with Scot 299A - clipping?

Hi all! Thanks in advance for any help. My Scott 299A sat for a few months without use. When I powered it up today and tried to play a record I heard a noise that sounded like a bass drum. It was constant and consistent. I looked at my speakers and the woofers were moving in and out rapidly. I...
  15. catama

TASCAM 122 MKii drive issue

I have a Tascam 122 MKii cassette deck that I put in storage for a while. It was working when I stored it. I retrieved it to give to someone and when I powered it up, the lights on the play, record and pause buttons began to flash and the unit would not advance the tape. I futzed with it for a...
  16. catama

AR XA in the House!

Bought this beauty from our own Pat Fonte who refurbished it. It is quite simply stunning. I'm amazed he let it go. Lucky me! This is my first AR. What an incredible table. Listening to Buffalo Springfield and loving it!
  17. catama

Kudos to Pat Fonte!

This is my third purchase of refurbished equipment from Pat: an AR XA turntable. Absolutely mind boggling sound from this classic. Pat packaged it perfectly for travel across the country and it is better than described. A real winner. Thanks, Pat!
  18. catama

How important is the grille cloth?

So I got a pair of KLH 6's in good shape except for the grille cloth which is torn and stained. Replacing it is an easy fix, so I went on line and found several sites that sell cloth material for speakers. Some of them adverstise the cloth as acoustically compatible so as to allow the sound to...
  19. catama

Dynavector 10x5 in the House

Even though I read a lot about this cartridge, I stayed away from it. Big mistake on my part. Got to it a long way round. I love Thorens TT's and have two after many years of hunting, saving and waiting. A TD 124 and a TD 125 MKII. In searching for a cartridge for my TD 124, I ended up...
  20. catama

TD 124 in the house! Hallellujah!

I have been lusting after this TT for ten years! Finally got one that was in exceptional shape and sent it to Greg Metz at STS Turntables in Tennessee. He took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, replaced the idler wheel, replaced the motor mount and the grommets, re-wired the tone arm, repaired...
  21. catama

Cartridge suggestions for Thorens TD 125 mk II and SME arm

Broke the cantilever on my SoundSmith SMMC-2 cartridge. Getting by with what I believe is a Shure M91 cart with a new Ed Saunders stylus. Any suggestions for a replacement cart for the SoundSmith? I was thinking maybe Denon 110?
  22. catama

Help with Thorens TD124 and ESL tonearm

My newly acquired Thorens TD 124 came with an ESL tonearm. I believe it is the 1000 model. The cartridge mounted to the tonearm is a Shure 91ED. The stylus was broken, so I obtained a new one. I balanced the arm and the TT, set the tracking force to 1.5 grams started playing my first record...
  23. catama

Hats off to Vintage5.0!

Just bought a phono preamp from Ken. It was delivered in flawless condition and packed perfectly. Great price and great communications. Buy with confidence. This is one great AK'er!
  24. catama

Mac1700 loud popping noise!

This morning, when powering up my 1700 receiver, I heard a very loud pop. Scared the $%&^ out of me. It was set to the radio which I noticed was clear and sounding normal. I switched to the phono input and powered up the TT. Same thing. Sound out of both speakers, no issues. Sounded normal...
  25. catama

Help with MX110 pre-amp

My wonderful MX110 has developed an issue that I need help with. From time to time, one channel goes out as it is playing any source (including the tuner). It can be either channel. If I turn the volume knob up, the missing channel comes back. It will play fine for a while, but then one channel...
Back
Top Bottom