Search results

1. dsd-7

Vintage 5.0 is an A+ member!

I just wanted to say that Vintage 5.0 is a highly valued member to our community here on AK. I am in the process of downsizing some of my gear and purchased his Burson Audio PI-160 to replace my big Sansui AU 20000. It was packed bulletproof and shipped extremely fast. It was such a pleasant...
  2. dsd-7

Good experience with byoungman1

I've purchased tubes on two different occasions from byoungman1. Bryce is a great guy and describes tubes perfectly. Pleasure to do business with and love the tubes. Thanks man! :music:
  3. dsd-7

Using my Pono in balanced mode with McIntosh MA7000

Hey guys, I recently purchased a cable to use my Pono player in balanced mode through my MA7000. The cable in question is Surf Cables P-02. When I plug up my player to the Mac, the overall level is significantly less than a normal input. All is set well with the Pono player as far as volume...
  4. dsd-7

George Wright AG Signature tube phono stage

Hey guys, I have George Wright AG Signature phono stage and was wondering about a particular tube in the circuit...ECC99. It came from directly from the late George Wright with a JJ ECC99, among four 12AX7's. The power supply uses a 6BM8 and a 6X4 rectifier. I have never heard of the...
  5. dsd-7

Garrard 301...how to oil motor?

I've recently bought some 3:1 oil for my Garrard 301. I would like to oil the motor bearings, top and bottom. The manual says to add oil in the upper and lower bearing slots. Problem is, I can't seem to locate the bearing slots. Anyone have any input? Pics or links would be great. I've...
  6. dsd-7

Cartridge recommendation for Thomas Schick tonearm

Hey guys, I recently placed an order for a Thomas Schick 12" tonearm for my Garrard 301 turntable (under construction, almost complete). This is a different direction for me, as I was used to low mass, high compliance type cartridges. I am looking for low compliance cartridge recommendations...
  7. dsd-7

Oswalds Mill Audio headshell

Anyone ever seen one of these headshells in person? I have a Thomas Schick tonearm on order and am thinking about one of these headshells. I'm just not sure they are worth 300 bones? FYI, I am planning to use my Garrard 301/slate plinth with a Thomas Schick tonearm and Soundsmith Zephyr...
  8. dsd-7

Garrard 301…where to buy parts?

Hey guys, I am in the process of building my Garrard 301 analog source. The felt brake pad is quite worn and in need of replacement. After recently servicing the main spindle bearing, I noticed the gasket leaks oil and also needs to be replaced. I have been looking at getting a replacement...
  9. dsd-7

Garrard 301…how much oil?

I have a very nice one owner Garrard 301 oil bearing motor, set up in the original spring plinth with Shure M232 tonearm/M7D cartridge. I am in the process of putting the 301 in a slate plinth with either a Thomas Schick or SME M2-12R tonearm. Still haven't completely decided on tonearms, so...
  10. dsd-7

Heavy tracking Shure M7D…will it harm records?

I recently got out my Garrard 301 and am using the original Shure M232 arm with NOS Shure M7D cartridge. I noticed the recommended tracking force of the M7D is 4g-7g. Wow, that is a lot of tracking force! The M7D has a really nice, full sound. Not the most detailed but very musical and fun...
  11. dsd-7

Sony X77ES cd player

I recently bought a nice Sony X77ES that functions perfectly with the exception of the tray/sled being very sluggish. I opened up the bottom of the unit to see if it needed lubrication. Everything looked great, but it seemed like the belts were too loose. My guess is they have probably...
  12. dsd-7

Fosgate Phono Stage discontinued??

Hey guys, just called MusicDirect to ask about a Fosgate Phono stage. They told me they have been discontinued. Wow, that comes as a shock. Weren't these a very nice design? I had always wanted to hear one of the units in person, but never got the chance. Has anyone else heard they were...
  13. dsd-7

Legacy Focus 20/20 with Cary tube amp??

Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts regarding using my Cary SLI-80 integrated amp with a pair of Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers. The speakers are very efficient at 96db, but have a low impedance rated at 4 ohm. I am sure it dips quite a bit lower than that during certain passages. I would be...
  14. dsd-7

Is it bad to drive a tube amp hard with low efficiency speakers?

I am driving a pair of speakers which are 87db efficient (Genesis Advanced Technologies 7.1C) with a Cary SLI-80. I get my preferred volume around 2:00 on the Cary's volume dial. Everything sounds great to my ears, but my concern is with the load this presents to the Cary. Is it hard on the...
  15. dsd-7

5AR4 vs 5U4 rectifiers in Cary SLI-80

My Cary SLI-80 integrated amp came with 5U4 rectifiers, and I am thinking of going to 5AR4's instead. Wouldn't this be easier on the amp? I know the 5AR4's are indirectly heated, which would seem to be much easier on the amp when powering up. My current 5U4 factory tubes (electro-harmonix)...
  16. dsd-7

Genesis Advanced Technologies Subwoofers

Anyone tried one of their subs? I am looking at the possibility of either a S4/8 or a G928 to pair with my Genesis 7.1C speakers for 2 channel music listening. I have yet to hear either one of these servo driven subs, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
  17. dsd-7

Genesis G 7.1C speakers

Hi guys, I just upgraded to a new pair of Genesis 7.1C's. I opted for the Rosewood front panel with European Maple body. These are gorgeous both aesthetically and audibly. Despite their efficiency rating of 87db, they sound really nice with my Cary SLI-80 tube integrated. I usually run my...
  18. dsd-7

Linn Majik 140 vs Genesis 7.1C

I am in the market for a new pair of speakers to go with my Cary SLI-80 integrated tube amp. I have been eyeing a pair of Genesis 7.1C speakers (on stands) vs the Linn Majik 140 floor-standers. They both have a sensitivity of 87db I do believe. Does anyone have any experience with either one...
  19. dsd-7

Rega Apollo vs California Labs

Hi guys, I currently have a California Labs CL-15 cd player and am thinking of upgrading. I have had my eye on the Rega Apollo for quite a while. I've heard a lot of people say it possesses an analog sound. I'm an analog guy, and digital always takes 2nd place in my listening sessions. Does...
  20. dsd-7

Dynaco ST-70 16ohm tap for all speakers??

I have an old Dynaco st-70 with the cloth covered transformer leads and PA060 power transformer. I have read some material suggesting to use the 16 ohm speaker taps for the best sound out of these old tube amps. Will I harm anything by doing this with 8ohm or 4 ohm speakers?...and could this...
  21. dsd-7

Paradigm Studio 60 V4 vs. NHT 2.5i...upgrade??

Hi, I am thinking of buying a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 V4 speakers locally. They would be replacing my NHT 2.5i speakers in my small listening room. These speakers are strictly for music. I have never listened to ANY Paradigm speakers before, so I am ignorant as to how they would compare to...
  22. dsd-7

Does my sony esd cd player need a laser?

My Sony 608esd just started skipping on most cd's during the first few tracks. It began periodically skipping a couple months ago and has continually worsened. If I move up the track list (past track 5 for example), it plays just fine. Changing cd's makes no difference with the issue. Do you...
  23. dsd-7

Mcintosh C29 lights out...help

Hi, I recently bought a Mcintosh C29 preamp that looks to be in mint condition. However, the two headphone jacks do not work, and none of the red indicator lights are working on the push-button panel. Does anyone know what could be wrong here? I have opened it up and didn't see anything...
  24. dsd-7

Opinions on Mcintosh wood cases

Hi, I have a MC2105 and C29 WITHOUT the wood cases/panlock brackets. I have never used or physically put my hands on any units utilizing the old wood cases. I am contemplating the idea of buying wood cases to protect them, but not sure if they are really worth the price. Aesthetically I kinda...
  25. dsd-7

Bob Latino ST-120 or Mcintosh 2105??

Hi guys, I have recently purchased an all original Dynaco st-70. After playing around with tubes for a few days, I have come to realize I would like to get into tubes more. Before purchasing the old Dynaco, I had always used solid state equipment, and I am completely new to tubes. So I am...
Back
Top Bottom