Search results

1. McBru6177

wgb113's Listening Room

Love the new room! And you act fast. Looking forward to seeing the final version with the room treatment.
  2. McBru6177

Plan of attack.... RS5's

Wow, looks like I missed all the action this month on this project! That's what happens when one takes a break from AK. Dogwan, looks like you did a top notch job on the RS5s. Many thanks for taking the effort to document the stages. I'll have to experiment with the slight tilt in the stands...
  3. McBru6177

Plan of attack.... RS5's

Coincidentally, I just swapped back my RS-5s earlier today after about a year break (playing around with KEFs and B&Ws) and was pleasantly surprised to find this post about this not so common speaker. These speakers really do justice to the high notes and detail--much credit is no doubt due to...
  4. McBru6177

wgb113's Listening Room

Love all iterations of this listening room. I have a similar type of small listening room and have been going back and forth with KEF vs B&W. So far I have a slight preference for the B&W sound. Nothing fancy or new: CDM2 vs the 103.2. I also have the Ikea cutting board under my TT. Gotta be the...
  5. McBru6177

I think I’ll build a small room system for a change...

I also have a small listening room (8x16x8) with unfriendly acoustic dimensions. I added two bass traps and two acoustic panels on the sides which made a big improvement. Several years ago, I posted some pics of the room on AK. I recall the OP of this thread (Michael) suggested to me at the...
  6. McBru6177

Infinity RS6

I have the RS 5 Reference which is the early 1980s version with two 6.5 woofers and the same EMIT tweeters and Polydomes as the RS 6. They image very well and excel in providing the detail and high notes. But they lack a bit in midrange/vocals compared to my KEF monitors from the same era. The...
  7. McBru6177

Silver face. Blue lights. Makes me happy.

Love the blue glow as well. Looks like a NR-815. Nice receiver. Nikko still goes under the radar price wise. IMO, just as good as the pricey Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, mid-line receivers.
  8. McBru6177

SX-939 worth the effort?

I've only heard positive reviews of the SX-939. If it sounds as good, or better, than my restored SX-737, it's definitely worth the effort.
  9. McBru6177

New Addition Sears Professional Series TT

I have the same TT. I too was wondering about the Sears tag and who really manufactured it. Here's a thread I started several years ago that will help shed some light and perhaps raise more questions. Looking forward to hearing any more background on this table...
  10. McBru6177

Lamp replacement help- SX 737.

Good advice Larry. I have noticed that the 939 is priced significantly lower than the 1010 and tend to take longer to sell. The 1010, like other TOTL receivers, go fast for too high a price--far more than my willingness to pay.
  11. McBru6177

Thanks. I used old school incandescent bulbs. I wanted to stick with the original look. I have heard the warm white LEDs are very close. Given the much longer lifespan and less heat, its probably a smart compromise. The SX-737 is one of my favourites as well. I switch it out with my much...
  12. McBru6177

Lamp/LED Help Needed

Ditto. I just ordered a full set of lamps (old school incandescent) for my SX-737 from dgwojo. He has many options for LED as well. Plus prompt delivery to the Great White North.
  13. McBru6177

I thought I would resurrect this thread since it was a huge help to me today to replace a few lamps in my SX-737. Once I removed the plastic dial lens, the lamps for the dial were easily accessible. But I have to admit that I was a bit worried when I was prying off the dial lens -- with a butter...
  14. McBru6177

Pioneer SX-950 vs Kenwood KR-7050

Biased opinion here since I've been using a fully restored Pioneer SX-950 for several years and I would have a hard time believing the Kenwood would outperform it. On looks alone, the Pioneer wins. But I would be interested in hearing how your Sansui 7070 compares to the Pioneer, once you get...
  15. McBru6177

Infinity speakers ID

Hard to tell since we don't have the dimensions or a look at the drivers. So just going by the box design and the Infinity label I would guess the SM 120 from the 1980s.
  16. McBru6177

Today's Progressive Rock Tunes

Rick Wakeman -- Journey to the Centre of the Earth
  17. McBru6177

Porcupine Tree -- Fear of a Blank Planet Stuck inside at my cottage. Not a bad way to wait out a snow storm.
  18. McBru6177

A week with my new Ortofon 2M Black

I also switched recently to the 2m Black. When I first got it, it sounded fantastic on my KEF 103.2s which are not super detailed but focus more on the mid-range. My other set in the system at the time were my Infinity RS-5s (the better version from the early 80s, not the 90s version) which have...
  19. McBru6177

Good reminder about Hackett. He's busier than ever and I also have not kept pace. But I caught his concert in Toronto a few years ago. Dug up one of my favourites. Doesn't this sound like prog Genesis, except for the vocals of course?
  20. McBru6177

Yep! Took it out of the plastic sleeve to show all. I read that Jethro Tull spent more time and energy on the newspaper album content than the music. While the music is great, this has to be one of the most innovative album covers...ever!
  21. McBru6177

Good to hear from you 91r100gs. Love your posts. Yes, I'm back and life is all well. Always good when posting albums on AK. And I have to say that this thread is fantastic. Not only is it a reminder of all the great prog rock albums from the past but I am learning about some of the new stuff...
  22. McBru6177

David Bowie

Definitely "cool" could be used to describe Bowie, but there were/are cooler rock stars in my opinion. I think the most accurate word to describe is Bowie is "chameleon" since he was hugely successful at dramatically changing his sound, looks and image over decades. He was known as the...
  23. McBru6177

1972 pressing, newspaper intact!
  24. McBru6177

Boston (180 Gram Audiophile Translucent Gold Vinyl/Limited Anniversary Edition

Even though I was a teenager in the late 70s I never owned Boston's debut on vinyl. I think it was because I already had the 8-track and I was too practical with my money (still am) to buy the album in another format. So a few months ago I saw this Friday Music re-issue on Amazon and did a...
  25. McBru6177

The Mighty Pioneer SX 737

I use a fully restored 737 in one of my systems. Perhaps I’m biased, but the 737 is one of the best examples of a 1970s receiver. It’s also easy on the eyes...and the ears.
Back
Top Bottom