Search results

1. Ronito6

Another AU-X1 restoration thread

For me, I just did what they did originally at the factory. (Which is the way Hyperion described.) My reasoning being: If it lasted this long doing it this way, then here's to another 30 to 40 years!
  2. Ronito6

I actually made a repair, without causing more damage than I was trying to fix, a personal best

Cool. Sounds like a bad solder joint got re-flowed on your go over.
  3. Ronito6

8? Good lord! You've cornered the market.
  4. Ronito6

Restoring X1s back-to-back. Have you lost, or are trying to win, a bet? I love the results either way. Bravo!
  5. Ronito6

Fast Amplifiers today!

It looked the same to me too. Kind of cool to see that the new guys on the block today brag about stuff Sansui and others of the Japanese vintage audio era (20+++ years ago) had achieved at a better price. Let’s take the Sansui AU-X1 as a fer’ instance AU-X1 in 1979 was 210,000 yen. If the...
  6. Ronito6

Fast Amplifiers today!

CTH-8550 integrated amp is $32,000.00 Restoring an old Sansui would be cheaper. Gotta say though, the contemporary feature set is drool worthy
  7. Ronito6

Sansui AU-X1

Note: The chasis mounting holes marked with white ovals. At least two of those holes (on one end or the other) need to be made into actual ovals. Otherwise the board might not lay perfectly flat without undue force. The white oval markings are the same orientation as the actual oval holes on...
  8. Ronito6

Sansui AU-X1

Yes. Getting the fit right was the main reason I made a B version of the board. The clearances were not clear enough on the version A. A trace, although insulated, touched the chassis at one of the mounting points. (Not to mention a couple of other issues of clearance preference.) The...
  9. Ronito6

Sansui AU-X1

Well, most of the best solutions came with the Kuehne modifications from about 5 year ago. (Reported on AK here first by Harolda.) Before him very major re-engineering of the drivers was the suggested path. No longer needed thanks to Mr Kuehne's few, relatively simple and subtle upgrades.
  10. Ronito6

Believe it or not…

Here in Japan, on Yahoo Auctions, a general search for サンスイ(Sansui) results in 1830 items for sale.
  11. Ronito6

Believe it or not…

Hey all! Ron from Japan here, and I have a bit of a shocker to share. Judging by the selection of higher end Sansui stuff posted on HiFiDo and Yahoo Auctions Japan, it seem that the higher end gear supply has darn near dried up here. I tried searching for an AU-9900 just to see what they...
  12. Ronito6

The Mighty AU-X1

13. Ronito6

Sansui SR-838 - remove tonearm stub?

That looks a lot better. Now for all the other fiddly stuff TT's require to be their best. Worth every fiddle.
  14. Ronito6

Stuck volume knob allen bolt - help?

Ha! Ya reeled me in there. Thanks for the chuckle!
  15. Ronito6

Stuck volume knob allen bolt - help?

Nice job getting that set screw / grub screw out of there! (What a freak’n time wasting nightmare.) Patience and persistence wins again. Also, I never heard of PB Blaster penetrating oil before. Need me some of that.
  16. Ronito6

UPDATE: I just did a bit of tooling about with my 929 here with that very same bit. Mine is a screw rather than a bolt. It limits the up / down swing of the tone arm and (obviously) fastens the tube that carries the main counterweight on the tonearm. Tightening that bit too much will stop the...
  17. Ronito6

The tone arm was likely loosened at the base to reduce shocks in transit. I did the same when I sent a Micro DD-7 from here in Osaka to Argentina, for the same reason. I added a bit of padding between the plinth and the tonearm base to make certain the tonearm was further cushioned and...
  18. Ronito6

Wow. A sideways shot might be more informative, but barring that, I’d try just gently pulling and turning the tube that houses that bolt. If you’re lucky there might be an indentation where the bolt will seat and then allow tightening by turning the tube. Don’t force anything. Be gentle. If...
  19. Ronito6

Sansui SR-838 - Repair of a Dead Unit

Nice, well lit, perfectly in focus, close-up, pics. Looking forward to more!
  20. Ronito6

Sansui AU-X11 crowd sourced service manual.

Yes! And thanks! (Belatedly)
  21. Ronito6

My New (Practically NOS) SR-929

SME? Well...Respect! Sincerely.:trebon:
  22. Ronito6

New 929 here too. It needs work but I am glad to have it. I got it for 10 bucks on Yahoo Auctions Japan. It was cheap because it lacked a platter and was not without a few scuffs. The cherry on top for me mthough was that ALL counterbalance and anti-skip weights were present and accounted...
  23. Ronito6

In...the ... ga...rage. :( Are the acoustics better in there or something? It, by God, should still be spinning somewhere. Ah well...you are lucky to have it!
Back
Top Bottom