Search results

1. Hecubus

New Sylvania Console

I have repaired the crossover and replaced the amp with a cheap bluetooth amp so I can use my phone to play through the speakers. It works well and looks great but I mainly just use it as a table. Good luck with yours. I haven't found much info on these sylvania consoles.
  2. Hecubus

Ohm Walsh 4

I'm afraid that I can't comment on their true sound because I am only using them as surround/tv speakers. I haven't hooked them up to a decent amp or even played music through them. As of right now they are being run TV->Cheap A/V receiver->speakers. In this capacity, they are magnificent...
  3. Hecubus

Suggestions for wading into Tubeland...

Because of your speakers you could get away with flea watt amps.
  4. Hecubus

Looking for tube audio tech in DC area...

Throw up some pics of the underneath. If you have a DMM I'm sure that we can fix this.
  5. Hecubus

Fisher CA-40

Excellent to hear. I wish I could DIY something cool like the tone control graphic but that is way beyond me. The only reference I see to frequency response is in a sellers add that states a frequency response of 10-90k HZ withing 1/2 db. I don't know where he got that info but if it is true...
  6. Hecubus

Fisher CA-40

Does anyone have any experience with a Fisher CA-40? A PPP Fisher from the late 50's is certainly interesting. I have a pair of OPT and I plan to build a power amp out of them so any listening/electrical experience with them would be nice.
  7. Hecubus

ST-70 Blowing Fuses

That is some shoddy work. You said that it blew fuses after a few seconds with the rectifier in but now you can give us readings with the rectifier. So just to clarify, is this correct? 1) With all tubes installed it blows fuses after a few seconds 2) With no tubes the fuse is fine 3) With...
  8. Hecubus

ST-70 Blowing Fuses

Can you please post lots of new pics from lots of different angles.
  9. Hecubus

The End of an Era: The Fisher 55-A

1) Why would the large bypass/transformer caps cause this problem? 2) Are you worried about the heat from the large resistors under the chassis? I have a pair of troublesome 200a's and I couldn't find a replacement for the 15W ceramic resistor that pokes out of the chassis so I mounted it...
  10. Hecubus

Dual Mono Grounding

I ran a ground bus in my last amp so in order to learn something new I am going to use a star ground on this one. After listening here and reading some more on grounding I think I will ground both power transformers to a single point and from that point forward each channel will be separated.
  11. Hecubus

Getting into Integrated Tube Amps, on a budget

In the last few months I have a bought a Fisher x100a, Heathkit AA151, Two Eico HF12, A Sherwood s5000ii, and a Fisher 500b for $250 or less. All of them need restoration but they are in good cosmetic condition (except the 500b, that one needs some TLC). $250 + electronic refurb would put you...
  12. Hecubus

ST-70 Blowing Fuses

It is the 'few seconds' comment that got me thinking. The outputs wouldn't draw any current in a 'few seconds'. Certainly not lots of current. I barely understand this stuff though so perhaps I'm wrong. What happens if you pull all of the tubes except the rectifier? Someone please check my...
  13. Hecubus

ST-70 Blowing Fuses

If I am wrong someone please correct me but your problem isn't in the bias supply. The bias supply is energized instantly and if the problem was there then the fuse would blow instantly with or without the rectifier tube. Your fuse only blows once the rectifier warms up and starts to conduct...
  14. Hecubus

Dual Mono Grounding

I am building a PP amp with two PT on the same chassis. Should I ground each PT separately and star ground each channel back to its respective PT or should I have the PT's connected at the same point and run everything back to that one chassis connection? Put differently: One ground point for...
  15. Hecubus

ST-70 Blowing Fuses

I'm sure you have answered these questions somewhere but I have gotten lost with all of the back and forth. With all tubes installed, does it blow fuses immediately or after 10-30 seconds? Does it blow fuses without any rectifier tube?
  16. Hecubus

Which amp should I steal transformers from?

yup. I thought about monoblocs but dual mono is more fun
  17. Hecubus

I've just ripped the transformers from the Eicos's. I already have a piece of steel that with a bit of trimming will be the right size and I think I can even use the cage form the silver one. Plans: SS power supply to save room and EFB.
  18. Hecubus

For fun and learning I'm going to scratch build a PP amp. I want to use vintage transformers because then I will have a known circuit with the appropriate FB network. I have a couple of amps from which I can steal transformers. I have a pair of Eico HF12 but they are different cosmetically...
  19. Hecubus

At my wit's end: Noises from my 200a

Update: The terrible scratching and static noises at startup are gone. I think it was just dirty sockets because lots of tube swapping back and forth seems to have quieted the most offensive noises. I'm not out of the woods though! After 45 minutes up to 4 hours they both make small...
  20. Hecubus

Schematics or ideas for PPP EL84

Just for fun I have some pictures comparing the PPP EL84 Fisher OPT's to some others. Vs. Fisher 30a (el84 PP) Vs. Heathkit HF-32 (also an el84 PPP). VS. Dynaco ST70.
  21. Hecubus

MONO amp. What to do with it?

Yes you could transplant the stereo into the mono. You would start by carefully drawing the schematic for the stereo version and taking pictures and labeling transformer leads. Then remove the transformers.. You would then remove everything from the mono and do whatever you wanted to do for...
  22. Hecubus

MONO amp. What to do with it?

Just to be clear, are you are talking about transplanting the entire stereo amp into the mono amp chassis? You should also post a pic of the stereo amp so people don't have to look at your other thread.
  23. Hecubus

Parts and Pieces: A True ARC Mystery

That is a beast of amp and a monster of a project. Congratulations on one heck of an achievement. How often do you find that you actually have to adjust the feedback network between each transformer? Have you ever seen one adjusted straight from factory? Because that would be some seriously...
  24. Hecubus

I want to build a PPP because they are unusual and I want the challenge of trying to keep the construction neat and tidy. I already have way too many amps so it isn't based on need. Also, the transformers were available and they were from a rare Fisher so I felt compelled.
  25. Hecubus

Here is my first attempt at a simplified schematic. I have eliminated the unusual heater arrangement and simplified the bias. I have eliminated the 5600 ohm resistor (r48) because I think it was part of that arrangement and I didn't understand what it did. I have kept the 100ohm screen grid...
Back
Top Bottom