Search results

1. onanysunday

Intersound (Tapco) Professional Amps?

Does anyone have any familiarity or information on these power amps? How’s the quality, are they any good, have you used them -what were your thoughts? I see they were made in Boulder and Bob Weir may have used one of their preamps (according to internet lore) but that’s about all the info I...
  2. onanysunday

Banana Plugs: Gold plate/Brass vs. Silver plate/Copper

Just for fun I decided to swap out the dual banana plug connectors I had been using with some Kimber 8TC cables for some speakers with dual binding posts. The gold-plated brass connectors came with the speakers. I used regular 12 gauge stranded OFC copper for the jumpers. I was mostly happy with...
  3. onanysunday

Dynaco A-50 modded

Hello, Here’s a second attempt I’m making on an earlier thread I created that was hijacked and dismissed by others that was subsequently deleted by me. It was requested (by another member) to bring it back, so here it is once again. I picked these up recently and had been looking for a pair of...
  4. onanysunday

Dynaco A50 rehab (modded w/ passives)

Hello, I'm picking up a pair of older, vintage speakers today that look to be quite interesting and unusual. They appear to be in pretty good shape and are reported to sound quite good and can be demo'd. The grills are also in excellent shape. I noticed a passive radiator on back of one of them...
  5. onanysunday

New 4k TVs limited to 16-bit/48kHz digital optical output for high end DACs capable of so much more

I recently started a thread about a Denafrips Pontus II DAC that was not able to process anything above 16-bit/48kHz when connected to a newer Sony Bravia 4k Smart tv via optical digital cable while listening to hi-res music files on the Amazon Music Unlimited app. The Pontus II should be...
  6. onanysunday

Pontus II DAC stuck on 16-bit 48 kHz / won't read I2S / Denafrips support slow to resolve

Does anyone else have the issue where this DAC does not automatically detect and process higher resolution source material? Mine is stuck on a maximum of 16-bit/48kHz processing no matter what material is inputted through its optical digital input which should be capable of up to 24-bit/192kHz...
  7. onanysunday

50V, 63V rated Polypropylene Caps >3.3uF. Do they exist? Where/ why not?

I have been looking for some nice axial or radial potted type pp or mkp audio caps (for years) that don't go bonkers with the oversized physical dimensions that come with the standard overkill 250V, 400V+ types. I get that they are higher-voltage rated and apparently only specified for tube...
  8. onanysunday

CAT networking cable as high performance speaker wire?

Has anyone experimented with using CAT 5/6/7 networking cable as speaker wire? It would seem almost ideal for several reasons and could be implemented in various ways, even bi-wiring. I know the 8 individual 23 AWG conductors of CAT6 may seem thin and weak on their own, but if combined, could...
  9. onanysunday

Topping D50s case mod for Burson / opamp swapping

Hello, After upgrading to the P50 Linear power supply I wondered what else could be done to bolster the performance of this little DAC which is already an overachiever- given its performance and laden feature set for its low price point. After reading another thread, I decided the Burson V6...
  10. onanysunday

Best used/new stereo power amp under $1,200?

Hello. I know there are a billion threads like this, but I'm in search of something in particular and looking for some targeted advice. I need something that can withstand being in a semi-enclosed stereo cabinet that won't cook itself to death without the use of any cooling fans. It must be...
  11. onanysunday

Omega Pro 501 Monitors

I recently came across some speakers on the web I've never seen or heard of before. I'm somewhat familiar with Omega, but not these particular models. Has anyone seen or heard them, or care to comment about their drivers or sound? I'm especially curious to know what the tweeters are.
  12. onanysunday

New (Tube) Kids On The Block! PSVANE 6SN7-BE/SE

While looking to replace a pair of ShuGuang CV-181Z Treasures which have already gone microphonic after less than one year in the driver seat of my SP-14 preamp, I came across these very unusual looking PSVANE 6SN7-BE (blue) and 6SN7-SE (smoked) tubes which look like lightbulbs. I know for...
  13. onanysunday

High-End Preamps w/o Variable Loudness? A Glaring Omission

Hello. I recently came into possession of a Yamaha AX-900 Integrated with the bass/ mid/ treble adjustments and the variable loudness control. It got me thinking. Besides expensive Mac gear, are there any other reasonably affordable standalone preamps with the variable loudness feature which...
  14. onanysunday

Proton AM-300 Integrated Amp Restoration

I just picked up this amp to restore. It has no display lights, and is missing two button covers. I also picked up the matching AT-300 tuner with no lights as well (with the same buttons) at the same time. For $15 how could I resist? I have two of their other, more popular D540 Integrateds. One...
  15. onanysunday

Braun/ADS "Atelier" A2 Integrated Amp Restoration

I just picked up this amp to restore. It's pretty good looking in my opinion and was designed by Dieter Rams and was originally a (German) Braun A2, that was also sold overseas as the ADS A2 from 1982-1987 for around $650. It is currently operational, but has some bulged power filter capacitors...
  16. onanysunday

Denon DP-15F vs. Sony PS-LX5 vs. Technics SL-1700. Which one?

Hi, I'm helping my brother find a good vintage $100 turntable. I've narrowed it down to this trio, all are advertised as fully functional with decent dustcovers and seem (more or less) similarly performing specwise -somewhat-. Cosmetics and manual/semi-auto/full-auto features aside, which is the...
  17. onanysunday

Proton AC-300 CDP Project

As a sucker for vintage hi-end digital, I just picked up this older player as a 'parts' machine. The display is out. Hopefully it's just a bulb, as my matching AM-300 integrated and AT-300 tuner parts machines also have this exact same issue which I haven't delved into repairing yet. It powers...
  18. onanysunday

Pine Tar Loose Belt fix

Hello. I repaired a cd player today that wouldn't load and read because of a belt that was slightly stretched. I'm thinking this may also apply to cassette players or anything else that may rely on small, rubber belts to operate. This is not the first time it has gotten something working. Of...
  19. onanysunday

dbx DX5 cd player belt tightening! (and others)

I have two of these amazing sounding 1987 cd players. Over time, the belts stretch out, causing disc loading/unloading issues which eventually makes them all unusable and happens to all belt driven cdps at some point. This tightening method can also be used on many other cdp's with a similar...
  20. onanysunday

Proton CD Player Hierarchy?

Just curious what the hierarchy is on these players from best sounding to worst. Some even use the vaunted TDA1540 and TDA1541/A DACs according to the dutchaudioclassics website. Has anyone had personal experience with them to comment or add any other models to this list? Are the earlier...
  21. onanysunday

Realistic 42-2101A Phono PreAmp Mod

I recently read some favorable reviews on this little pre and thought I'd take a gamble. It's diminutive with classic 'Realistic' styling. This one is either new, or barely used, and probably quite old. First, I'll gather listening impressions in stock form and then upgrade its capacitors to...
  22. onanysunday

1985 Sampo CD Player?

I just came across this random Japanese-made Sampo CDP-501 and am mostly just curious about it. It has captive RCA cables and a back made of cardboard. I'm just wondering if anyone knew anything about it.. Who made it? Is Sampo its own company? I thought I knew all the players, but haven't heard...
  23. onanysunday

Flare Audio hearing plugs: Calmer, earHD 90, earHD 360

After perusing my fb newsfeed several weeks ago, I came across an interesting advertisement for some hearing plugs that were said to enhance the listening experience. Curiosity got the best of me, and in this instance, it was not a scam. Flare is based out of West Sussex. A couple weeks later...
  24. onanysunday

Check those thrift TT carts!

Adventures in the BPC: A tale of courage, redemption.. After making a donation the other day, I quickly scanned the electronics section to see if there was anything fresh on the shelf I could put towards my 20% off coupon. A lightweight, cheap looking Vector Research plastic turntable caught my...
  25. onanysunday

Purpose of Mystery Marantz Bulbs?

Hello, just started the refurb of a Marantz 2216B. I haven't really done much yet, just cleaned/ lubed the switches, replaced the fuse lamps with warm white leds and soldered in a blown fuse on one channel and set idle current. It sounds ok. I am wondering about the inclusion of these small, 6V...
Back
Top Bottom