Search results

1. kmanusa

Washington DC Audiofest

Is anyone going to this 3 day Washington DC area Audiofest, June 11-13? One of the events is a swapmeet scheduled for Sunday June 13 in the morning. The fest location is in an old mansion in Rockville, MD. They have a web site which can be found by googling 'capital audiofest'. No...
  2. kmanusa

Infinity Service Bulletin -- EMIM Repair

The service bulletin gives a step by step procedure for taking apart an EMIM and replacing the diaphragm. BTW, a test procedure is included which indicates that the EMIM should be swept with a sine wave generator between 150 Hz and and 5 kHz. It notes that buzzing may be heard from the EMIM if...
  3. kmanusa

"Buzzing" EMIMs

I have a problem with one of my Infinity RS-4.5s. One of the EMIMs makes a "buzzing" sound when playing certain kinds of music like vocal music with lots of midrange. Now I know what you are thinking, the EMIM diaphragm is bad and needs to be replaced. But not so fast. When I jiggle the...
  4. kmanusa

Infinity RS-4.5 Impedance Measurements

After taking a closer look at my original results I decided to redo the measurements again. This time I used my HP 3400A True RMS voltmeter instead of the Fluke True RMS DMM I used originally to make the measurements. The HP has better HF response and the results above 2-3 kHz are affected--...
  5. kmanusa

RS-4.5 woofer wiring

I have opened my RS-4.5s and I am comparing the woofer wiring connections with the Infinity schematic. One question I have is which woofer is the "W1" that is referred to on the schematic-- the upper woofer or the lower woofer (when facing the front of the speaker)? I know some of you have...
  6. kmanusa

MC275 output tube failure question

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later but one of the Penta Labs KT88s blew in my MC275 IV yesterday. :sigh: I took the bottom cover off to check and there were no obvious smoked resistors and the 2 fuses were still good. So, I pulled the remaining 3 Pentas and replaced them with a...
  7. kmanusa

RS-4.5 Grills

Has anyone taken apart the grill of an RS-4.5? Through an act of incredible klutziness, I managed to break a rib on one of my grills. I'd like to get the cloth off the grill to glue the broken pieces back together but I am not sure how the cloth comes off. It appears the cloth can be...
  8. kmanusa

Replacing MC275 Mark IV Tubes

Has anybody had to retube one of these? I am asking because I bought the amp recently from a fellow who claimed he was the second owner. He said he bought it in 2006. The first thing I noticed was V1 was noisy so I replaced this 12AX7 with a JJ ECC83S I had in my tube stash. I decided to...
  9. kmanusa

Bridging MC275-- Mixing Mark IV and V

From what I can tell doing AK searches, the differences between the MC275 Mark IV and V versions are the output posts, volume controls, and "lead free" construction. Comparing the Mark IV and V using single ended inputs, where the Mark IV volume controls are set to maximum (1.2v input...
  10. kmanusa

MR-78 Hot Chassis

I have had this problem for a while with my MR-78. It has the older type of unpolarized AC plug. I have to measure AC voltage between outlet ground and chassis because 1 of the 2 possible plug orientations puts over 100 volts AC on the chassis. You can actually feel it if you touch the...
  11. kmanusa

Infinity RS-4.5 Impedance Measurements

I finally got around to measuring the impedance of my RS-4.5s since I was curious about the load they present to my amps. I used the impedometer method described by Dick Pierce in one of the rec.audio newsgroups a while back. I had on hand an HP signal generator and HP true RMS voltmeter to...
  12. kmanusa

MR-71 Multiplex Light

I have an MR-71 which works fine. However, after about an hour or so, the multiplex light goes out when tuned to a stereo station. I have tested the tubes with 2 checkers and they test good; I have swapped out several different brands of 6U8 and 12AU7 in the multiplex section but the problem...
  13. kmanusa

Infinity IRS Betas in Ohio

Not cheap but nice looking: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1221783290 I have no affiliation whatsover with this seller.
  14. kmanusa

Gorilla tape

I just shipped a large amp in a large box a few days ago via Fedex Ground. The box was designed for McIntosh amps so it was very strong but I decided to finish off the sealing using Gorilla tape to be safe. You may have seen this stuff in office supply stores and Home Depot, it is thick black...
  15. kmanusa

Wash DC area CL: MG-IIIa $150!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ele/738473235.html Looks like they need some work but $150 is not a lot of money for "Magnapan" MG-IIIas! No affiliation, etc.
  16. kmanusa

My experience with RS-4.5s and biamping (long)

I've had my RS-4.5s for several months now and have used them in various configurations. I still believe this is an outstanding speaker. I'd like to pass along my experience with biamping since it would appear to be at odds with what others have reported here on AK. I have biamped my 4.5s...
  17. kmanusa

Bananas anyone?

OK all you vintage Infinity guys and gals out there, I have a question about bananas. No, not the kind you eat but the plugs that we need to attach speaker cables to our vintage Infinity's. :banana: In particular, I am looking for specific banana plug recommendations for speakers like the...
  18. kmanusa

Infinity RS-4.5 Further Thoughts

I have been listening to these and experimenting with different setups. So far, I prefer using them biamped with the Mac 2205 on top and 7270 on the bottom. However, I prefer the Bryston 4B ST if I had to use them with a single amp. There are trade-offs in each case. I have not tried my tube...
  19. kmanusa

Infinity RS-4.5 update and nudie pix

Hi all, here is a quick update on the Infinity RS-4.5s that arrived this week. I am attaching some photos of the speakers with grilles removed. The drivers are in good shape although there are some wrinkles and crinkles in the EMIMs that I assume are to be expected. The woofers were refoamed...
  20. kmanusa

Infinity RS-4.5s have landed!

My pair of RS-4.5s arrived this evening safe and sound from their long trip across the USA. It is late and my 5 year old is asleep so I won't be rocking out tonight. But I did test them out and they sound mighty fine. Tomorrow, biamping begins!
  21. kmanusa

RS-4.5s on the way-- which amp would you use?

Somewhere between Washington state and my home in Virginia, a pair of Infinity RS-4.5s are slowly making their way to me courtesy of a moving company. Hopefully they will arrive safe and sound next weekend and I have begun to prepare for the new arrival. One question I have is which amp should...
  22. kmanusa

Are EMIMs Interchangeable?

I've searched through the archives a bit here but cannot seem to find a conclusive answer to this question. The RS-1, RS-4.5, RS-2.5, RS-II, and many other Infinitys use EMIM midrange drivers. Are all these EMIM drivers the same or do they vary from model to model? For example, can one swap...
  23. kmanusa

Infinity RS-4.5 Bites the Dust

The travesty of parting out a functioning RS-4.5. He's been trying to sell the pair complete for several weeks and I guess there were no takers--...
  24. kmanusa

RS-4.5 Electronic Crossover

Has anyone tried actively biamping this speaker without using the Infinity outboard electronic crossover? If so, what kind of crossover are you using and what crossover frequencies (and slopes) have you tried? Do you use crossover frequencies different from the ones used in the Infinity...
  25. kmanusa

RS-4.5s on Ebay

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this question but has anyone taken a close look at the 4.5s currently on Ebay? I asked some questions today of the seller. The seller says the woofers were reconed by Orange County Speaker Repair. However he says the active equalizer was an...
Back
Top Bottom