Search results

1. Sansuiman

Sansui BA-1000 Vfet amp

That's a very nice (and vanishingly rare) amplifier. Sansui's only foray into VFETs, as it happens. I'd love to know how it was converted for 120V, as it retains the original toroidal transformer, unless a new transformer was wound and placed inside the original case.
  2. Sansuiman

The Last of The Greats - Last Alpha Cd Player -Sansui CD CD-α607

Some CD players that predate direct mp3 playback don't know how to interpret a data track (versus audio) and so will attempt to read the TOC from the disc, and may display some sort of track and time information. These usually will provide no sound output since there is no valid digital audio...
  3. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

@DB-7, Will vouch for it sounding excellent. I was a bit surprised (though I don't know why I'd have expected any less from a Sansui of this era). This entire line of 1971-72 separates have been quite remarkable, IMHO. And they look great, too.
  4. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

@DB-7, where'd you find the BA-100? I picked one up a few months back, but they are not easy to find. Maybe even rarer than a BA-150.
  5. Sansuiman

Sansui cd alpha 717dr

I'm always careful not to have gear I don't intend or want to sell visible in pictures of gear I post for sale. Also careful not to have other gear on display if someone comes to pick up an item they've purchased in person. Have learned from experience that failing to do so invites unsolicited...
  6. Sansuiman

Sansui cd alpha 717dr

I know this is a very late reply, but I just saw this thread. @peterott had asked how the different display colors were achieved. The native color of the VFD is pale blue. The amber/orange color is done by placing a deep orange tinted plastic filter over the display. Other filter colors can be...
  7. Sansuiman

The Last of The Greats - Last Alpha Cd Player -Sansui CD CD-α607

I'm sure it will play properly mastered CD-R, probably some CD-RW (these are always a hit or miss proposition due to lesser reflectivity) but there will be no mp3 decoding on board. That didn't become a common feature for another few years after the CD-a607 was made. I'm patiently awaiting a...
  8. Sansuiman

Allen Organ Contemporary Console

Quite interesting. I'm well familiar with Allen organs, but didn't realize they ever built audio consoles. I guess it makes some sense, they already had a cabinet shop to build very well made organ consoles, speaker cabinets and equipment racks for their organ business. I suppose they viewed...
  9. Sansuiman

Sansui Six, I Broke FM

I'd be surprised if new cals didn't knock the alignment out enough to necessitate a redo. Keep in mind that even good quality caps have a pretty wide tolerance, so even 10 or 12 caps replaced on a tuner wouldn't probably put baseline values different enough to cause alignment issues. Glad to...
  10. Sansuiman

AU-919 Ribbon Cables

@Ray Gianelli, thanks! I wasn't all that proud of doing a repair that way at the time. This was in a vintage synth that had to be repaired and returned to service with as little downtime as possible, so I improvised my own ribbon cables (which were just interconnects between two boards). The OE...
  11. Sansuiman

Sansui 5000A Goodwill Find!

I don't think I can post a link here, but if you go to eBay and do a search for "Audio Optocoupler / Opto-Isolator" you'll get a hit for what appears to be the very same item, even has the same description and specs taken from the listing at the linked website. I have no affiliation with the...
  12. Sansuiman

You Should Know

Will agree on @Ray Gianelli, have watched some of his vids and he does a very good no nonsense presentation. I do like to see how other techs attack a problem, I'm not beyond learning something new.
  13. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

True, but I'd guess the definition of a midrange model is a bit fluid. The Seven was smack in the middle of a series comprised of only 3 models (ok, 4 if counting the Eight Deluxe, which replaced the Eight outright) and so I can more see it getting the midrange control than a middle of the range...
  14. Sansuiman

AU-919 Ribbon Cables

Shielded ribbon cable typically has an overall shield,further encapsulated in a layer of rubber for protection. In such case, the individual conductors aren't visible, it's just a wide flat rubberized ribbon. I've seen some old (late 70's to very early 80's high end mini and mainframe) computer...
  15. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

Well, typically that feature was reserved as an upgrade for upper range models in a given lineup. 5050/6060 had bass and treble only, while 7070/8080/9090 had triple tone controls, as just one example. Then again, some top models had no midrange control, as with the AU-717 and 919. Go figure.
  16. Sansuiman

Show Me Your Sansui!

^ nice score. I don't know that I've ever seen an AU- 5900 in detail. I'm kind of surprised it has a midrange control, being a middle of the range model. Sure does look nice in any case.
  17. Sansuiman

AU-919 Ribbon Cables

Ribbons cables have two characteristics that are useful: one is they parallel many conductors into a tight form factor of high density, and at a set spacing. This has useful properties in itself, as far as assembly of cables and interconnection of boards are concerned. The second is it lessens...
  18. Sansuiman

AU-919 Ribbon Cables

If you precut, strip and tin lengths of wire, then assemble them flat, parallel and evenly spaced on high quality permanent adhesive packing tape (Gorilla Tape comes to mind) folded over itself to keep them in alignment, you could effectively improvise your own ribbon cables. I've done this a...
  19. Sansuiman

First Sansui SS receiver model sold in USA?

I don't know that the 400 was ever sold in the US at retail. It seems more common in Europe and Canada (and even then, is still fairly rare). So too is the case with the 310, seen a lot more in Canada and the UK, than it is stateside. I have a magazine ad for the TR-707A which would indicate it...
  20. Sansuiman

Sansui 4000 wood case question

The template gets you close, though many Sansui wood cases feature various shimming, spacers and reinforcement pieces internally. These details not reflected in the build-in diagram would need to be replicated for a proper fit. Then too, you need the exact locations of the screw holes, and...
  21. Sansuiman

Sansui 4000 wood case question

I don't ha e the dimensions, but what was usually supplied was a paper template for fabricating a cutout in a cabinet, so the unit could be recess mounted, sans case. That template would get you close to the inside dimensions of the wood case, but probably but not exact.
  22. Sansuiman

Luxman 71/3R or FQ 900 - Looking for some switches and knobs

I hear you on the ridiculous number of unique knobs made. I'd say there had to be outfits in Japan at the time that specialized in that sort of machining/manufacturing work, and could spin up a new design on request quickly. I do wonder how they did it though in a pre-CAD/CAM world, it still had...
  23. Sansuiman

^ I was thinking that the Op's picture looked like the knobs would need an extension to go through the panel to catch the shafts, which are slightly recessed. That makes it tougher to find a sub. Sansui had a few like that late 60' to early 70's I think, but none that I figure would look close...
  24. Sansuiman

Yes, that is a real rarity, even for Luxman who has quite a few seldom seen models in their history. Good looking unit though. I'll echo the same sentiments, your chances finding those knobs are slim to none, on any reasonable timeline. If it were mine, I'd find some nice knobs from an...
  25. Sansuiman

Ever run out of gas?

Never. For the last several years I've developed the habit of topping my tank off at one quarter down (3/4 full). This helps take some of the sting out of price jumps at the pump, and assures I'm never left stranded due to running the tank down. Besides, these days there is always the threat of...
Back
Top Bottom