Search results

1. ben_

Yamaha WXC-50 question

I have wxc-50 and very pleased with it overall. I use it as DLNA renderer, webradio player and DAC via optical cable for my TV. You can play DLNA with a wide variety of players, and control the volume with those applications. I use mostly BubbleUpnp on my android phone but has used it with...
  2. ben_

Home Digital Audio Player

I don't know for VolumIO but most Linux distributions will use filesystem on SD card, not ram and these frequent writes (say logs, temp files, lock files, etc) are killing SD Card. If VolumIO loads card and use a ram filesystem for everything it's a good way to avoid trouble imo. Sorry I was...
  3. ben_

Home Digital Audio Player

Not easy to look for a DAP that should run for 20 years. I would avoid any raspberry pi solution, as they use SD card for operating system and they tend to die rather quickly. If you already own a DAC you like, cheapest is to use Google Chromecast audio which has an optical mini jack output...
  4. ben_

Best small, to be had for cheap, speakers for office or small room.

I just came to this pair of event 20/20 V2 passive monitor for just over $100 in aanear perfect condition and they are the best bookshelves I ever owned. Strong bass and flat response overall but very pleasant to listen. They're to replace my Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 on the desktop. Some other...
  5. ben_

What is your source history?....just Curious...

1990-2000 40% CD, 30% Tape, 20% FM, some Mp3s in late 90s 2000-2010 20%CD, 20%FM, 60% Digital 2010-present 2%CD, 5%FM, 3% vinyl, 90% Digital FM was mostly in car listening, still use it for short drives.
  6. ben_

Yamaha WXC-50 vs Bluesound Node 2 vs Sonos Connect

I own WXC-50 for almost a year and it's a great device for the price. Never used it with Bluetooth as it's a compressed format. Configuration and usage is really easy and the yamaha app works fine, any app compatible with DLNA/UPnP should work with it. No need for pairing if it's used on wired...
  7. ben_

Audio Workshop-Looking for info on creating a shared space

Looks like a great idea, good to have a dedicated space where you can display gear you want and even better if you can share it with fellow enthusiasts and friends. Closest thing I know from here are fab-labs and hackerspace where you can rent some space, workbench and tools, and get to know...
  8. ben_

Celestion CS5

Hi folks, I found something I think decently priced, local to me and said to sound good according to the few reviews I could found on the web. Celestion CS5, looks in great shape, sellers says everything including grill is in very good conservation state.All original speakers and filters and...
  9. ben_

Are Audiophyles Baby Boomers?

1985, I must admit there are more boomers into the hobby here than genX or millenials
  10. ben_

Mitsubishi R8 + Legend Audio (605)

Looks like you got a fine stereo system for the price :)
  11. ben_

These Sony Tower Speakers A Good Deal At $20

I had a similar pair of Sony floorstanders I sold a few years ago for something like $45 and the add stayed online for weeks before I got someone interested, so I guess 20 is good price for virtually any speakers. Just don't expect too much from such speakers, from what I remember mine were very...
  12. ben_

Hi frequency noise in usb dac

I would have swear it was more like 6kHz on mine but yeah, continuous, steady whine on your speakers. The price of pc power supply does not matter much I'm afraid, they are made to provide powerful DC current at various voltages with a relatively good efficiency, noise filtering is not a major...
  13. ben_

Hi frequency noise in usb dac

This is probably switching power supply noise you're hearing and comes from the PC, changing caps will not fix it. The DAC is powered through the usb plug right ? You could try with anu usbpowered hub between the computer to see if it gets better. There are other USB solution that are probably...
  14. ben_

What's your latest audio purchase?

Latest acquisition is a semi-vintage NAD 2600PE. Bad surprise on arrival as a speaker protection relay was having issues but it is now fixed. I like it so far, sounds warm with deep bass, but do not lack on the rest of the scope. It came to replace my Yamaha AX-592 I was using as a power amp for...
  15. ben_

Is it OK to be happy with your system?

You're perfectly fine with your system, that's good thing ! The upgrade bug will come back at some point probably, but if you dont feel the need to buy new components now it means you have reached a plateau and you should just enjoy listening to it. As other have stated above, listening to...
  16. ben_

NAD 2600PE - seeking repair advice

Guys, good news I got it working :) it was the relay I found a YouTube video from a NAD 2200 owner with the same white boxed relay that where faulty. In these amps you can access the inside of the relay it's not sealed in any way, no wonder why it's a usual defect on nads. Just use a flat...
  17. ben_

Yes, and only while music is playing with volume above 0 on the pre. I opened it since yesterday, and lots of solder have been reflowed, and some tracks in power supply covered entirely. The caps on the invoice were changed as well. One (bad?) surprise is one of the output transistors were...
  18. ben_

Do people still find bargain amps - UK

Thats not answering your question, but its the same story here in France, the good will stores have barely no hifi gear anymore, only tape decks or FM tuners left. Either people just throw them away or sell them used online more probably. The few that still end up in thrift stores are bought...
  19. ben_

Thanks slimecity, Well, me neither honnestly I just translated this from the invoice I got. Probably some dried solders or bad tracks where re-soldiered Noise sounds like 'shhhpllp' mixed with music sound, at the same sound level, and silence for few milliseconds in between plops. If I raise...
  20. ben_

Hello forum, After a few month hesitating about buying a used power amp, I finally found something matching my speakers needs (150 WPC and stable into below 3 ohms load) and bought a NAD 2600PE locally for a reasonnable price. I went to the previous owners place and listened to the amp on...
  21. ben_

Backing up the media files. What are you doing to safeguard your music?

They are mostly reliable (better than they were a few years ago), but their life expectancy depends a lot on usage condition. Typical warranty on desktop HDDs is 2 years with 10 000 hours uptime max. But spinning HDDs or SSDs can still seldom fail very quickly for multiple reasons, and data...
  22. ben_

Backing up the media files. What are you doing to safeguard your music?

Being an IT guy I love using server room gear, I have a second hand HP LTO 2 tape backup drive to keep cold copies of my library. Multi volume archives with tar utility works great. I've set up a reminder every month to power the tape an run the backup. it takes a lot of time, like 2 hours per...
  23. ben_

Using a studio equalizer in a home hifi system ?

If the yamaha EQ you are talking about is Q2031B I think it only has balanced input, not to use directly with rca to jack adapters
  24. ben_

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Aphex Twin - Cheetah EP - Need headphones or huge speakers to ear those basslines entirely ! Would make a very good test album for your subwoofer :)
  25. ben_

Nudies of your modern gear!!

Inside view of the TEAC UD-501 DAC, true dual mono conception
Back
Top Bottom