Search results

1. R

Thorens TD-160 Motor replacement- "HELP"

I think there's a problem replacing the td160 motor with one from a Linn, or Pro-ject motor; the Thorens is, I believe, a 16 pole motor whereas the Premotec as used in the others is a 24 pole. This means the Thorens runs at 375 rpm on 50 Hz (450rpm on 60Hz), the Premotec at 250rpm, (300 on...
  2. R

Marantz TT-15S1 spinning to fast after moving to EU

Performance is a bit disappointing, but it was just a proof of concept. I was seeing about 0.15% W&F when I tested it here. Long term I've offered to make up an SG4 controller, not yet decided whether to simply make a 60Hz single phase supply, or to make the proper dual phase output to...
  3. R

Absolon is right, the materials may differ, but the mathematics and physical properties obey the same rules. Having said that we're getting a long way from the original issue.
  4. R

I haven't tested it with round belts, but a lot of testing has been done with flat belts and it's 'proven' that belt thickness affects pulley ratio; a thicker belt causes the platter to run faster. As lini said above it's 'normal' to add the thickness of the belt to the diameter of both the...
  5. R

JV, when you did your calculations did you take into account the 2mm diameter of the round belt that's used to drive the platter?
  6. R

Nothing clever about the pulley I made, just a piece of 50mm nylon rod, sadly too small to make the 45rpm side, with a reasonably tight fitting 3mm hole and what I hope is the right size 33.3 groove.
  7. R

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, but in my workshop I'm fortunate enough to have an old Harding HLV toolroom lathe This is a collet lathe (5C collet) so I chucked up a piece of 50mm nylon rod in a 3 jaw chuck (too big for the collets) and turned it to a little over the required dimension...
  8. R

I've asked my sister, who lives in Germany, to get in touch with Clearaudio, who actually manufactures the Marantz turntable (as the Emotion SE) and find out about the correct Pulley. I'll update asap.
  9. R

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Linda Ronstadt, Hand Sown Home Grown. Bought in 1969, been in love with her ever since
  10. R

Looking for schematic of JVC QL-7 power supply

Yes, should do OK, but the open circuit voltage may be a bit higher. As the TT uses so little power I'd be inclined to go for a 25V transformer, especially if your supply is on the hot side. the 1:1 output for the strobe is for safety, you don't want live mains around the inside of the TT
  11. R

Looking for schematic of JVC QL-7 power supply

I've had a look at a few similar JVC turntables, and I suspect the main secondary is around 28.5V, and the second is for a neon strobe. Here is a section of the schematic for the QL-A7, which has similar specs if your local line supply is a bit hot then it's possible that a thermal fuse embedded...
  12. R

Idler drive spinning too fast. Is there a speed control for AC motors?

Assuming the idler surface is deformable then the ratio between the motor and platter is not exactly 1-to-1 this is because the small motor spindle will dent the idler more than the inner surface of the platter. The difference is small, but definite.
  13. R

Wimpy Rega Torque

I agree with MisterDK, I get no slow-down with any reasonable pressure; I also use a large Papst motor driven from a 3 phase supply
  14. R

Why would my Amber Stereo 70 just go up in flames!

Modern numbering scheme has 332 as 33 followed by 2 zeroes, hence 3300 or 3k3. there's no way of telling if that's correct without the schematic, or at least a view of an unmolested version. There is info, including a schematic on HiFi Engine's site...
  15. R

Pioneer PL-7 (mid-60's) Motor start capacitor help, please.

Beautiful old turntable! You're probably right about the capacitor. You're very unlikely to find an identical replacement, but you don't need one. The pl-7 was originally configured to allow the motor to run most smoothly on either 50 or 60HZ, by switching in the second, smaller capacitor as...
  16. R

Stuck Garrard LAB 80 spindle gear and bearing

Ok, I'll bite, why is there a circlip in your picture?
  17. R

Stuck Garrard LAB 80 spindle gear and bearing

According to the service manual (Vinylengine), page19, there is a 'wire clip' holding the spindle and gear in place.
  18. R

Which One Would You Refurbish?

Normally I would almost always recommend the Technics, but in this case there is a reason for going with the Sony PS-4300 instead. Put simply, the Sony electronics comprises entirely discrete components, with no ICs that might become unobtainable in time
  19. R

Bearing Oil For Thorens TD 125?

I have a few turntables, AR, Dual, Thorens, Technics, Yamaha, and a Clearaudio with CMB bearing , in all of them I use a high grade ATF, (made especially for the ZF 6HP21 gearbox). It is an ester based fully synthetic, and is quite low viscosity. I have been using this for the past 8+ years and...
  20. R

thornes 126 motor help

You don't say which version of the td126 you have, but from your description it sounds like one of the AC synchronous motor versions. If this is the case then it is more likely to be an issue with the motor control board than the motor itself. You would need some electronic skill to diagnose and...
  21. R

EngineerNate's Sony TTS-4000 Build

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the temperature compensation effect of the two 'normal' diodes in series with the zener. If you look at the this paper it explains the reasoning- https://www.edn.com/design/analog/4334638/Designing-a-zener-diode-regulator When you heat or cool the...
  22. R

Thorens E50 Motor rebuild questions

there are a few suppliers of replacement bushings (and felt oil retaining rings), but the best I am aware of are from Italy - here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SINTERED-HEAT-PRESSED-BRONZE-BUSHINGS-THORENS-TD124-E50-Complete-Motor-kit/252461530608?hash=item3ac7e13df0:g:SVYAAOSwaB5XqLiS Not...
  23. R

Is there any way to reattach a large 24,000 mf capacitor back to the chassis of a stereo receiver?

I normally use a mains power incandescent bulb in a holder with a couple of flying leads to discharge large caps in SS circuits, A 40W bulb works fine.
  24. R

What's wrong with Linear Tracking tables? Which ones are worth having?

My current main turntable is a Pioneer PL-L1000. I use it with both MM and MC cartridges, and can't say one type is noticeably better than the other. It also has the advantage of using a 'standard' SME headshell mount, and having an arm wand that's 7.5 inches long so is not overly susceptible to...
Back
Top Bottom