Search results

1. S

Contemplating A Central Grounding Point For Analog

i sort of do this for 5 turntables and 3 preamps. everything is clipped to 1 central grounding point. have never run into issues.
  2. S

TT IS Too far away

this is what i do. i'm around 15ft from my receiver. make sure you get decently shielded patch cables for the long distance between preamp to receiver. an easy way to check this is to temporarily swap the long cables for the phono cables so the preamp is now next to the receiver. with unshielded...
  3. S

i want buy a t4p cartridge for my PIONEER PL-221Z ANY IDEA?

i have 40 or so p-mount cartridge bodies so why limit yourself? i second the recommendation to start with a shure body since they essentially used 1 external form factor. all the styli are more or less interchangable (with very minor modification). you will find that a lot of manufacturers...
  4. S

Technics SL-5 tonearm keeps moving forward after putting stylus down

i can't see anything in those images. i think the plastic cracks on all these units where it surrounds any metal cylinder. i don't think you need to do anything about the tonearm rail so long as the plastic is still gripping enough to move with the cylinder. the plastic surrounding the tonearm...
  5. S

Technics SL-QL1 Original P22 cartridge...Thoughts on a stylus?

i had to check my invoices...i purchased this stylus back in 2016, but i don't remember ever trying it (or it was too blah to be memorable). i'll have to dig it back out if i can find it. there's also a 798-de available that might fit as well. (possibly with modification?)
  6. S

is it possible to adjust technics sl-ql1 (sl-dl1) loose hinges?

that's awesome. thanks for the images! i still have my sl-ql1 completely apart. need to get around to replacing a leaking capacitor. i wish half of the main board connectors weren't hard soldered.
  7. S

Vinyl to Digital ?

usb pc soundcards are purpose built for this and have impressed me to the point of taking over the primary phono preamp role on my stereo setup. i own 3 models and can recommend all of them. art usb phono plus v2 xpsound xp203 (new zealand) dynasty proaudio ua2d
  8. S

Technics SL-L24

the belt is a brand new fbm 23.6. i cleaned the idler pulley and the entire belt path with isopropyl alcohol. i oiled the platter and motor spindles from the top which probably wasn't all that effective, but i was careful to keep it well away from the belt. the instability i'm hearing is random...
  9. S

UPDATE! MoFi is using all digital processing with their vinyl pressings

when i got into vinyl some 30 odd years ago it could be argued at the time that the format perhaps provided the highest musical fidelity available in the retail market. that argument today is a joke. to put it politely: compact discs were at the low end of digital crap. then dvd audio came along...
  10. S

Grounding Issue with ADC Linear Tracking Turntable (connected to Fosi Audio Box X2)

what happens when you touch the ground wire to either of the white/red rca plug grounds (outer sleeve/prongs)? also, does that turntable have a t4p tonearm or a built-in cartridge?
  11. S

Don't use Sorbothane Feet!? Now what?

why is it a choice between one or the other? i would do both and claim superiority over all others in the realm. btw, neither option costs nearly that much and you don't have to hire a structural engineer either...even a handyman can stiffen up a few joists.
  12. S

dude, that's like me telling you that if you like a company or product for whatever personalized reason you should just fork over your money quietly and shut up about it. no one wants to hear about that cool-aid drinking!
  13. S

Technics SL-L24

i pulled out an sl-l25 from storage recently as well. the verdict is still out, but i think there might be something wrong with the speed regulation or belt drive. as far as i can tell this series: l20-26 are the only under platter linear trackers technics ever produced and i have to say so far...
  14. S

their integrity is so eroded that it's to a point where i automatically doubt anything mofi has to say. i even suspect this so called 'digital stage' in the one step process is just a red herring. how do we know mofi isn't producing TOTALLY ANALOG pressings and then lying about it by NOW touting...
  15. S

Don't use Sorbothane Feet!? Now what?

i am using sorbothane, innertube under plywood, cork/rubber hvac sheet, foam/rubber hvac pads, bamboo cutting board, layered cardboard and foamboard all separately (7 turntable setups). i would consider all of them successful to an adequate degree except for the foamboard. i use sorbothane for...
  16. S

loud hum and auto-mute not working on technics sl-ql1: where to start?

so i got things apart and everything is nicely labeled. here are some images of the main pcb. the only obvious culprit is c305, but honestly i can't tell if that's a leak or paint. it just seems too uniform to be dried electrolyte.
  17. S

i've isolated the hum to the right channel which is now completely out. no audio output at all; only hum. it would be great if it were just a loose connection, but i don't see anything out of place.
  18. S

i have acquired a second technics sl-ql1 turntable that has issues. my first sl-ql1 has none of these problems using the exact same identical hookup. there is a loud hum from the turntable whether it is playing a record or not. the same hum is present whether the turntable is powered on or not...
  19. S

Granite slab for turntable

i have found cardboard is the best stuff for this application. ikea sells a lot of furniture and shelves which are basically honeycombed cardboard if plain sheets of sandwiched cardboard is too unsightly for you. it's completely dead; nothing gets thru it. i've tried sorbothane, cork, rubber...
  20. S

Best option for familly/cat friendly TT?

i bought a 1960's rca campobello record player console and use it as a full-length sofa table. i gutted the original contents and fit a piece of black foam core board over the cutouts in the compartment. it currently houses a fully-auto technics sl-l25 with the dustcover removed (although there...
  21. S

Is the Pioneer PL-12D audiophile?

as someone here pointed out to me recently, it's not truly 'audiophile' unless it's printed in writing. i am a proud owner. it's the only piece of audiophile gear i own. discrete smd all the way baby!!! no stinkin opamps to be found anywhere.
  22. S

Does Q-damp really work?

one thing (ebay asking prices) is for sure: with the test of time the 'biotracer' branding is an unqualified marketing success whereas 'q-damping' and 'dynamic servo tracer' are utter, dismal failures in comparison. i don't know if it's because of sony's mass-production dominance or people just...
  23. S

Best option for familly/cat friendly TT?

you mentioned that you're looking at a denon dp-23f...why not go one better and get a table with one of those fully dynamic servo tracer arms: a full size denon dp-35/37/45/47f or a compact little dp-15f. easily affordable and would be a great secondary system for a basement listening room later on.
  24. S

is the Audio Technica AT132EP good?

oh, i know from the accompanying slt96e spec sheet that the cantilever is not tapered. it's listed as 'thin-wall tube". here's a shot of the bonded stylus. i also have the spec sheet on the vs225ep which is also a bonded .4 x .7 and lists the fingergrip as orange, but i've never seen an...
  25. S

what's inside that little black preamp box? (ak-750s, pp500, mpamp1 internal images)

i actually think 'audiophile' is the brand name so it applies to everything they make which nowadays must be an awful lot of stuff.
Back
Top Bottom