Search results

1. GordonW

R.I.P. Dickey Betts

The Ramblin' Man has rambled, for good We will all miss you, DIckey. Regards, Gordon.
  2. GordonW

Random Thoughts or Whatever

Because education and economic improvement takes real effort to oversee. And it requires people in charge of programs, to actually seriously think about hard issues. Much easier to just hand out money. It's simple human nature, unfortunately. But, it's something we should be able to overcome...
  3. GordonW

Nissan 5 speed question

Those thing rarely fail, so I wouldn't be too worried about replacing it with a decently-low-mileage used one. If you were near here (Kennesaw GA), I could have told you exactly where you could likely get one for a good price nearby... Regards, Gordon.
  4. GordonW

Random Thoughts or Whatever

I think there's a deeper reason there. Most people object to just giving people money. The old "Give a man a fish" parable. However- using money to improve the conditions of poor people- making their environment better, by providing economic opportunities, improving education, and such- are...
  5. GordonW

Well this happened here today

Progress!! Regards, Gordon.
  6. GordonW

Heathkit WM-5 Tube Monoblock or Dynaco Stereo 70

I would think this could go absolutely head-to-head with a modded Dyna ST-70, in terms of sound quality: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/untapped-potential-heaths-w-5m.1042474/#post-16697568 And it doesn't require changing any of the W5's transformers. Regards, Gordon.
  7. GordonW

Scott LC-21 Phono Section Question - Resistors

The 47K's don't need to be 2-watt. Since they're less than 1/4 the resistance of the 220K,- by Ohm's Law (P= I^2 * R), they will dissipate less than 1/4 the power at the same current level. The 47Ks can be 1/2 watt, in series with the 2W 220Ks. They will both reach their thermal limit at the...
  8. GordonW

Acoustic Research AR4 XA

I've found on the AR4s, that completely bypassing the pot (connecting pin 2 to pin 3) sometimes works well. They wind up most of the way up, if not completely wide open, in most cases, so there's not much attenuation going on, usually. Regards, Gordon.
  9. GordonW

Have you been feeling angrier than usual lately?

Trying to setup for a show in any hotel in Chicago, is a test of anger management. Arbitrary rules, middle management hotel people acting like tin-pot dictators, and such. We just finished setting up at AXPONA. Everything is good now, and we all kept our composure despite the BS. Can't say...
  10. GordonW

For the ones old enough: did in the '50's and early '60's where optimistic?

The most productive way we, as a species, is going to make progress, is to tackle the problems- including confronting and stopping the bad actors- in matters that are occurring NOW, where they are occurring, wherever that may be. While there is merit in analyzing the past wrongs, wherever they...
  11. GordonW

Key word TOTALITY. That's my point. If we're going to fault one person or ethnic/social group for bad behavior- we can't give a pass to another for the same type behavior. We have to use the SAME rules for all. No preferences, no passes. Right now, many people are "piling on" people of...
  12. GordonW

I've known some people like that. I will give them slack, if they seem to be making a genuine effort to get better- therapy, self-assessment and such. There's almost nobody that can't be made better, if they actually WANT to get better. However, if they just continue to "flail away" at...
  13. GordonW

One of my favorite "Georgia Tech'isms" is: The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees the glass as twice as large as it needs to be. Regards, Gordon.
  14. GordonW

Not many people are that self-aware. I wish more were. Regards, Gordon.
  15. GordonW

To clarify a bit- from what I've studied, read and heard about- the "damage" done by people of European descent, was more a factor of HOW MANY of them wound up "on the move" all over the world. The AGGREGATE effect was greater, because of the sheer numbers. OTOH, if you consider and compare the...
  16. GordonW

Look closer at the histories of almost any indigenous population, that ran into another indigenous population. One almost always wound up conquering and pillaging the other. It's' just that the Europeans got a head start, on most of the others. For an example- look at China, even now. Do you...
  17. GordonW

As did pretty much everyone's ancestors, regardless of race. Some were just more successful than others, in their long-term goals. Doesn't change that the motivations were basically the same for all. Every society had the idea that their ideas were better than others, and most of those societies...
  18. GordonW

Potpourri Of The Interesting Stuff

Who knows- we might be seeing young Rowan on one of these treasure-hunting TV series, some time in the near future... Regards, Gordon.
  19. GordonW

Sansui SP-2000 HELP please

Ah good. Someone had the original data. I was going to go digging and try to figure out where I put a couple of derelict SP2000 crossovers, that I have SOMEWHERE around here. That could have been the proverbial needle in a haystack! Regards, Gordon.
  20. GordonW

ANDREW JONES (MoFi) Sourcepoint 10

The Acoustic Energy AE320 and AE520 would be two very substantial examples. The AE320 is rated down to 35Hz, and the AE520 down to 30Hz. I can say, in-room, that I have observed significant output from the AE520, into the mid-20s, and the AE320, to at least 30Hz if not slightly lower. The...
  21. GordonW

JBL C-34 with flat back. Variant, or copy?

I believe, that what you have there, is a user-built JBL C40 cabinet. Pretty much functionally equivalent to the C34- but with "square" cross-section- having a flat-back, instead of the "half octagon" shape (as seen from above- the beveled rear panels mentioned above) of the C34. In effect, the...
  22. GordonW

The Two Biggest Falsehoods About Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend Speakers

Many speakers of all price ranges, don't. Again, that's speaking from experience. And that's an indicator that something is wrong, regardless of price. Regards, Gordon.
  23. GordonW

Knight KB-85 question

The 6L6 is the "easy way" to sub an alternate output tube for an EL37, because it has the suppressor and cathode pins connected inside, like the EL37 does. The EL34 requires a socket wiring mod (pin 1 to be connected to pin 8) on the KB85, since the EL34 has the suppressor grid wired out on pin...
  24. GordonW

Let's hear your horror stories and close calls!

Yeah, I have a friend, who used to be a service technician for the radiology department of a large hospital. He told stories about people- like the random UPS guy, who carried in a box containing a radiation source- clearly labeled as radiation hazard- wedged in between a couple other boxes...
  25. GordonW

Vandersteen 2ce sig

In fact I think Vandersteen's designs are done, using bi-wire during the testing and listening process. In other words, bi-wire is "baked into" the design, in a way. Regards, Gordon.
Back
Top Bottom