Search results

1. schuylercat

The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Just tuned up a Hafler DH-220, and it's Not-Quite-Matching brother DH-110 is REALLY scratchy. Every pot and switch, seems like. I think I paid $75 for both of them and got lucky with the condition...so I will re-read this thread and de-ox the 110 and hope I made a great deal. Meanwhile, has...
  2. schuylercat

What TT's do you folks have

That Lenco project is stunning. Sheesh. I have a slightly worn Thorens TD-160 with Ortofon X1 MC cart; a perfectly pristine JVC QL-A2 with a Grado GT+, and just picked up a very clean Technics SL-Q3 with, ironically, another Grado GT+, this one with a NOS stylus. Haven't plugged that last one...
  3. schuylercat

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Bayonets "What You Got?" through stacked (well, side by side) ADS L-300c's and Wharfdale Diamond 3's - office system.
  4. schuylercat

Linn LP12 or Micro Seiki DDX 1000?

I owned a Linn, but got to frequently use a DDX-1000. I wanted that Micro Seiki so bad. At this point in my life I don't bother quibbling about a .0004% difference in rumble or flutter. I'd wager these would do a great side by side if properly set up, so... I'd do the DDX-1000. I sell 2 of...
  5. schuylercat

Time to get to work: Hafler DH-220 rehab needs to start. Need advice.

Good stuff, folks. Sounds like Digikey will be my bestest buddy for a bit... I have read I should do the main filter caps too, regardless their condition. Due to their age it's a must-do. I also read I should go from the 10,000uf 75v to 18,000uf 100v (the 100v not being particularly helpful, I...
  6. schuylercat

Time to get to work: Hafler DH-220 rehab needs to start. Need advice.

This appears to be a factory unit, if the sticker on the bottom reads right. Right channel shows a remarkably low .001 VDC offset. Left channel shows a big overvolt around +6. Already had good feedback from several folks (more to come) regarding a soldering iron: my little Radio Shack might do...
  7. schuylercat

Buy a DH-220 with "weak left channel?"

Pics: http://i.imgur.com/kbBiUvU.jpg
  8. schuylercat

Got it. $100 for a DH-110 pre and a DH-220 that I am told has a weak left channel. Total cost for both: $100. The pre is a little scuffy, but the amp is the cleanest thing I have seen on the outside since I owned one new back in the day. No time to check until Monday at the earliest, but I'll...
  9. schuylercat

So I found a Hafler DH-220 in great physical condition, along with a DH-110 pre that "needed work." Seller contacted me today, says the pre is actually fine, and it's the amp has a "weak left channel." Price for both: $150. Having said that, I had a brand new factory 220 years ago that...
  10. schuylercat

Hafler DH-220 inbound: what to look for?

Update: seller says the 110 is fine, but the 220 has a "weak left channel." Dammit. Off I go to DIY. Cheers all.
  11. schuylercat

Hafler DH-220 inbound: what to look for?

Hi all, Title says it all - I got a Hafler DH-220 in what appears to be very good physical condition for $75. Not even going to ask if it's worth it - I had one new years ago and loved it (note: I also got a Hafler 110 preamp, but I will have to give it some love. Seller says it's noisy, and...
  12. schuylercat

Phase Linear 700, would you?

I'll look that direction, thanks! One of the reasons I remain a fan of Hafler's DH 220 was when I was working at an audiophile shop in 1980 we had a pair of Maggie MG-1's which I bought off the floor and drove with my own DH-220. Later, my boss got a pair of big, plain looking 3 panel Acoustats...
  13. schuylercat

You look suspiciously like Peter Gabriel, but I will trust you anyway. Thanks!
  14. schuylercat

Great feedback all, and thank you very much. I have a few things to consider: - $400 seems a good deal (maybe TOO good), and I agree I could buy it, mod it, and sell it if I am not happy. - Negotiableterms: that's a B model in the setup you shared (pretty things, those). This one is, to my...
  15. schuylercat

Hi all, Looking to feed my JBL L-5's a little more power. My Marantz 2252b is fine unless I try to push, and then you can hear the strain. I have a line on a Phase Linear 700 (the original, not the later B model) that appears to be an very clean shape, although the seller does not know if...
  16. schuylercat

Hi - I found a post regarding adjustments to the JVC QL-A2 turntable here...

Hi - I found a post regarding adjustments to the JVC QL-A2 turntable here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103714 You had replied to it back in April. Funny how old AK posts have saved me from issues, but my QL-A2 is doing what a lot of them do, which is to say the tonearm...
  17. schuylercat

"Stacking" question...impedance specific.

I have never been a stacker, although I experimented with a pair of Auratones atop some Polks once and liked the result. Here's my question: I have an office system, recently acquired. It consists of a Toshiba SB-500 integrated (35WPC, about 1975, pretty little thing with lots of switches on...
  18. schuylercat

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

What a strange collection of feedback in this thread. To be expected - taste in speakers can bring out the opinions. Mine: Magnaplanar MG-1's. Powered by an NAD integrated (3150 maybe?) that couldn't quite make them do what I wanted - they took over the entire living room of my tiny apartment...
  19. schuylercat

Grado G+ - new stylus or let it go?

True all dat. File this under "yeah, I'm embarrassed". Now that it's all set up, very few tweaks or changes, a little dusting and cleaning (this table looks like it's fresh out of the box!) I need to spend more time playing with my speakers: the Wharfedales I have are lovely, but the A/D/S...
  20. schuylercat

Absolutely! Speakers are 6 feet up in a shelf (rear ported, too), I only have a little bit of play-around room for them. I'll make them wider, narrower, push them back and forth, mess a bit. Limitation of my office setup, but still sounds good enough to make me smile.
  21. schuylercat

Been a week, time for an update: I fixed it. Marc - thank you! The weight was not the only issue, the VTA on the cart was a little tail heavy. I leveled it out and set it up for 1.5, .5 A/S. While I was at it I gave the whole table a good cleaning. The thing looks brand new. Stunning...
  22. schuylercat

Great feedback, thanks everyone! Chewie: very cute kitteh avatar, but you won't win me over that easy. :-) Marc - The big S tubed 1200/QL-A2 style arms are upper end of light? I keep visualizing an Infinity Black Widow at the low low end and these in the light/heavy side. I guess old-school...
  23. schuylercat

Hmmmm. First I've heard of that, the chart points to a Silver. There's some feedback the 8MZ is in some ways better than the Gold1. Im'ma do research. Compliance-wise, is this a good match for the QL-A2 arm? Fairly high mass arm, similar I understand to the Technics SL-1200.
  24. schuylercat

A little while ago I picked up a really clean JVC QL-A2, with a Grado G+ mounted. Inspecting through a loupe, the stylus was transparent and looked perfect. I've always liked these little JVC's and this was was so close to like-new I had to have it. Upon setup (run through a little Toshiba...
  25. schuylercat

Grado G+

Yeah, this I worry about, although similar JVC turntables do not have a YES in the "hum" field in the database kept by another AKer. I am crossing my fingers on this one. Having said that, my setup is encased in shelving and cramped space and glass doors and other Ikea-based crap that will...
Back
Top Bottom