Search results

1. jwhvt

AR25 Refresh

Thought I'd share some photos of my just completed AR25 refresh project. These speakers were purchased new by my mother back in the '80's. She gave them to me about 15 years ago but they were in pretty rough shape. I sent the woofers off to get new foam surrounds installed (this was before I...
  2. jwhvt

Pier 1 Rack!

Pier 1 filed for bankruptcy recently and the local store has been having a clearance of everything including display racks, shelving, etc. I picked this rack up today for less than $60. Pros: - Sturdy construction - Adjustable shelves - Wide and deep (22"x22") - Heavy duty locking wheels...
  3. jwhvt

Sony: Out with the "New" in with the Old

Swapping out my un-restored Sony GX90ES (~1990) with my freshly restored Sony STR-6120 (~1970). This could be tough...
  4. jwhvt

Sony System: Black but not PC

These pieces have been gathering dust in my closet and I've never had them hooked up together so I thought I'd see how they sounded as a system. Integrated Amp: Sony TA F444ES II CD Player: Sony CDP CA70ES Turntable: Sony PS X55 Appearance-wise, they are boring '80's black. I don't have a CD...
  5. jwhvt

Stylus Inspection Service near Albany, NY or Burlington, VT

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in either the Albany, NY or the Burlington, VT area that can inspect a couple of stylus (styli?) for me? Looking for someone with the right equipment and the right experience to properly evaluate the condition of a used stylus. I have a couple of...
  6. jwhvt

Sony STR5800SD Tone Control Knobs

I'm cleaning up an old Sony STR5800SD receiver that I had given to my son years ago. It's been one tough, reliable receiver but years of neglect has left it filthy and it needs new lamps and a good deoxit treatment. I think these particular receivers fly well under the radar in the STRx800...
  7. jwhvt

Sony PS X800 SH 156 Headshell Mounting Hardware

I have been looking out for an original SH156 headshell for a Sony PS X800 for some time now as mine came only with an aftermarket headshell. They seem to be pretty rare and when the do show up, they are quite pricey. A new SH156 showed up on the auction site and I grabbed it but it does not...
  8. jwhvt

Moved: New Office Setup

I just completed a move to a new apartment across town and one of the first tasks was to get my office set up.. Heavy gear + 2nd floor apartment = sore back but it is sounding good!
  9. jwhvt

Shure Cartridge ID Please

Can somebody tell me which model Shure cartridge this is? It came on a Sony PS X800. I've searched images for a match and can't find one. There is very little in the way of markings. Thank you!
  10. jwhvt

Fisher in the System

Pulled my Sony STR6065 and set up my freshly restored 500C (Hudson Valley HiFi, thanks Mike!). A bit of a challenge getting all of my sources hooked up but it seems to be working pretty well now. I do think it's going to deserve a case before long. Only problem now is that I can't stop...
  11. jwhvt

Late 80's Sony Integrated TA-F700ES vs Late 60's Sony Receivers?

I'm thinking of making the move from receivers to separates. Sonically, how would the late 80's TA-F700ES compare to the 60's STR6060FW / STR6120 receivers? I know the newer TA-F700ES is much more powerful but I don't really care about or need the additional power. Will it sound more sterile...
  12. jwhvt

Sony STR6120/6200 wood case?

I've been trying to find a used case for my Sony STR6120 without any luck so now I'm looking into having a new case made, copying the original case as closely as possible. What would a reasonable price be to pay? Anybody else interested in having such a case made? According to the AudioIdiots...
  13. jwhvt

Sony STR6120/6200 Wood Case?

Deleted... Sorry meant to post in Dollars and Sense
  14. jwhvt

Typical 60's Living Room Sound System?

Not your usual stereo rack but it is one of my "systems".... I'm temporarily renting a small duplex and this '62 Fisher Custom Electra serves as my living room "sound system". Most of the listening in this room is casual, ie. I'm walking around, working in the adjoining kitchen, etc. Primary...
  15. jwhvt

Looking For Custom Case for Sony STR6120

I've given up finding an original wooden case for my Sony STR6120. Can anyone recommend someone who makes replacement wooden cases? It doesn't have to be an exact replica but I would like to keep it similar in spirit. Local to Albany, NY or Burlington, VT would be ideal but could also work...
  16. jwhvt

Sony Systems

I have a thing for Sony... Mancave (Sony PS X600/DL110 -> Sony STR6120 -> Klipsh Forte w/ ALK x-overs). My favorite set up at the moment. Living Room: (Sony PS X55/OM30 -> Sony STR7065 -> BIC 66) Doesn't get a lot of serious listening. Good for background tunes. Dining Room: (AE ->...
  17. jwhvt

Dual 521 Plinth Interchangeability?

Does anyone know what Dual model plinths a 521 will fit in? Would it fit into a 1226 base?
  18. jwhvt

SV-05 Diode in Sony 6060FW Question

I'm trying to figure out an out-of-whack voltage on my 6060FW receiver and have a question about a round black diode on the Protection Circuit board. It is marked SV-05 and I haven't been able to find out much about it. I have two questions: Is this a fairly standard diode? It...
  19. jwhvt

For Sale: Second Thoughts

These components have been gathering dust in storage so I was planning on putting them up for sale to fund my Fisher 500C restoration. We just got rid of an old TV so I got the opportunity to set them up for one last time. I've been listening to them for the last two hours and I'm having...
  20. jwhvt

AT14SaPQ Cartridge: Value?

This cartridge came with a turntable I recently purchased but I don't think I'm interested in holding onto it. Apparently, with the right stylus, it can be used with CD4 recordings (the "PQ" designation). It came with no stylus... CARTRIDGE ONLY. Any idea what it might be worth?
  21. jwhvt

First DD Turntable: Sony PS-X55

I've been thinking of a turntable upgrade for some time now and decided to look for my first direct drive. All of my previous turntables have been belt drives which have been ok but I wanted something more substantial and with better specs. I focused on Sony to keep with my vintage Sony set...
  22. jwhvt

Basic Schematic Question: 4 terminal pot?

I'm working on an old Sony that came with a couple of clipped wires near the volume pots and I'm trying to figure out where they are supposed to connect to. According to the schematic, it looks like it is supposed to connect to the volume pot but I'm not familiar with this 4th terminal on the...
  23. jwhvt

Sony STR6060FW Restoration Project...

Hopefully this forum is the appropriate place to post this thread. I heard that DIY might be better than the Vintage Solid State forum for repair types of questions. I've been wanting a STR6060FW for some time and picked this one up off the auction site. It was described as being...
  24. jwhvt

Another Magnavox ID Request

Scrolled through a few Magnavox threads but didn't see one that looks like this. Looks like it has a tuning indicator tube..
  25. jwhvt

Mancave Update

Like many people, some stuff has come and gone over the last few months so I thought I'd post an update of my office/mancave. I suspect in a year, it will be different yet again! Ten month's ago: As much as I enjoyed listening to the old Grundig, I decided to give it back to...
Back
Top Bottom