Search results

1. mrappe

Bolivar Model 64 tweeter and crossover

The PE wrb site shows a 4 Ohm version. I used to buy these CTS tweeters back in the early seventies to build my own speakers with and it never occured to me that they might come in two different ratings. I have a pair of Boliver 18s and may replace the tweeters someday but for now they are OK.
  2. mrappe

1961-62 speakers with separate Tweeter/Mid and Woofer enclosures

Mono was the only thing at the time and being an audiophile one was a lot more dependant on customization and you could not just walk into a local store unless you lived in a large city. Many people started with a full range speaker and added on other things like tweeters and crossovers and if...
  3. mrappe

Just picked up a pair of Boston CR8 speakers today from Goodwill today

I was not not familiar with them but for $29 and the fact that I have not had any Boston speakers that I did not like I figured "What the heck". They seemed to be in good condition. I just got them home and hooked them up and the sound pretty food for small bookshelf speakers. This is the first...
  4. mrappe

Are any of the speakers for cars really HiFi?

Back when I had my 67 Camaro EPI came out with a set of speakers that fit into a 6 X 9 cutout that had a 6" woofer and the EPI inverted dome tweeter. I bought that and installed it. I liked it a lot. I just talked to the guy at Human Speakers today and he is making a new equavelant to that now...
  5. mrappe

Are any of the speakers for cars really HiFi?

I was thinking about replacing the speakers in my car and was wondering if any of the ones in the stores are really as good as what you would consider good in your living room. If so what are they. the ones that I see online and in stores don't look very good.
  6. mrappe

Help with EPI 200C Recap

I had no trouble removing mine. The boards are just hardboard that is glued in witwith hot glue. I was just able to pry it off with my fingertips but you can use a hairdryer to heat up the glue and remove it. After re-capping it I took the Lpads (Mine are M150s) apart and cleaned them out since...
  7. mrappe

Vintage speaker advice

In my opinion the most detailed bookshelf speaker in this price range would be an EPI like the 150s . They are a large for a bookshelf but have better bass then the smaller 100s even though they both have the same drivers. Some of the older tweeters need to be rebuilt by Humanspeakers if they...
  8. mrappe

Which speakers have you been the most disappointed in?

This thread came about because during the early to mid 70's I read every Stereo Review and Hi Fi mag that I could get my hands on and there was some equipment that was always being touted as being so great. There was a few cases in which when I listened to that equipment I could not believe that...
  9. mrappe

ESS Heil amt problem

Switch the Heils from one cabinet to the other. That will tell you if the problem is with the crossover /lpad/wiring etc or with the Heils themselves. If the problem stays with the cabinet then try the capicitors first and make sure the wiring is is good. Then look at the LPads. (If you have...
  10. mrappe

How to get the wood looking good

The wax like Skidmores is not like a paste wax that you would put on your car it is very much like a liquid. I don't think that it seals up the wood any more that the oils do. if you don't think that oils seal up over time then you don't understand how they work.In all cases the volatile part of...
  11. mrappe

How to get the wood looking good

I use Skidmores from http://www.skidmores.com/ It is great on wood or leather. Made with beeswax.
  12. mrappe

Speakers with Marantz 2275

I have such a 2275 and my ESS AMT 1Bs sound great with it. Plenty of power for them and they are efficient
  13. mrappe

Interesting crossover experiment with EPI M150

I only see 3 oil filled caps on that web site and they are $45 a piece. 10,24,32 MFD
  14. mrappe

Interesting crossover experiment with EPI M150

When I bought my EPI 150s a month a go I re-capped them with some inexpensive electrolytic caps (10mF 50V 20%) that were not not intended to be for audio use. They were the only ones that I had on hand a the time. Today I replaced one with a Mundorf MKP Series Film Capacitors 250V 5% Cap that I...
  15. mrappe

How to find a .160 mH air core inductor

I just got this coil today and put it in. It measured 0.154 on my meter but it may be just a meter thing because custom order was for 0.160. It looks likes a nice piece of equipment.
  16. mrappe

What speaker and crossover designing software is good

What is good to buy or use? Built some speakers years ago without the aid of software and would like to try using some with. The only book i have is an old one that I have had for years "Hi-fi Loudspeakers & Enclosures" by Abraham B. Cohen that was published in like 1968. What is a good book...
  17. mrappe

Just an idea: An aray of of Eminece Alpha 6 s with a large Heil in a 2 way system

I just thought of this as a tower system. You could have the several of the 6" mid basses covering the lows and mids up til the Heil took over.
  18. mrappe

Refurbishing Advent and EPI crossovers

That is what I did with mine:yes:
  19. mrappe

I ordered the 0.20mH 14 ga. one from Meniscus Audio with the custom spec of 0.16mH which is $11.26. That is a pretty good deal since I won't have to alter it my self. I just got the parts to re-cap my 2nd AMT1B and itwill be interesting to hear the differences. The speakers with the patched up...
  20. mrappe

Thanks for the info euranian. I am normally a DIY guy for most everything but I am afraid I would lose count of the turns or not wind it straight enought and if I can find one that fits the bill that is not too expensive i will probably do that. As Kirk57 said I can get one that is like .18 mH...
  21. mrappe

I don't know the ga but I miced the wire dia at 0.044 " and the I.D. of the coil dia is 1 3/16" and O.D. is 1 1/2".
  22. mrappe

Sorry for the mistake. The DCR is .35 Ohms amnd not 3.5 Ohms. The Actual inductance reading was .157-.158 but I figure on .160.
  23. mrappe

I unsodered the coil from the circuit to get the measurements with the Ohms and the mhs so the measurement was for just the coil.
  24. mrappe

I haven't found one of this value with 3.5 Ohms to replace the one that is messed up on my ESS AMT1B. Before I measured the one on the other speaker I called ESS and found that they did not even know the value of it or have a schematic of the crossover. When I look at places like Parts Express...
  25. mrappe

ESS HEIL membranes

I am not following what this means.
Back
Top Bottom