Search results

1. rudedogg

McIntosh loaded Barzilay console value

Looking thru the included receipts, i think there was a Webcor unit in place of the Sony originally
  2. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

No stickers. These were likely put in the console day one, and never removed.
  3. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Honestly they had what appeared to be a hazy dull oxidation on the chrome plating. My initial thought was to use Mother’s polish, but that left tiny swirl marks where i tried it. So i tried windex on a cloth, a Q-tip carefully around lettering. That worked fantastic and quickly! So it was more...
  4. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

The Mc pieces all work well. And cleaned up pretty nicely with some windex on a microfiber cloth. Now onto restoration
  5. rudedogg

As fate would have it, within 5 days total i acquired the console, then some finish matching speakers to use with the set. A good friend offered me some very old JBLs he had, for a ridiculous trade value. He really wanted me to have these with the Barzilay cabinet. What an incredible week! The...
  6. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

I am not real familiar with this older Mc gear… so the fact they glow white instead of green surprised me! Lol After running the preamp up slowly to 115vac, it sounds great, standard scratchy pots, but when powered down, it ran for nearly a minute! Still pretty healthy caps! Next the 240 power up…
  7. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

I agree on the 65b. I ran it up to 105vac yesterday and was truly surprised at the sonics. Dial pointer is still dead on as well. I have the Altecs, and have been offered a set of finish matching late 50’s JBL as a trade for another amp i have. They are way taller than my Barzilay, but they may...
  8. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Sorry about the last “multi quote” response. I truly do not know how i re-included everybody.
  9. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Thank you. My friend grabbed it at an estate sale. And i quickly began trying to get it from him! Lol. At first he offered it for retail used good condition pricing, i think he would have got his price too. I told him i would restore it and keep it together and be liked that idea, so we made a...
  10. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Thank you. My friend grabbed it at an estate sale. And i quickly began trying to get it from him! Lol. At first he offered it for retail used good condition pricing, i think he would have got his price too. I told him i would restore it and keep it together and be liked that idea, so we made a...
  11. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Yea i was stumped! As the 240 almost “locks” onto the slides. Very very thoughtful! I have owned the Pan-Loc equipped gear, so i was wondering is Mc supplied these to buyers as an option. Whoever put this system together sure loved it. There was a cooling fan mounted for the components. Internal...
  12. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Hey all. These two ball bearing “drawer slide” mounts came with the MC240. These were bolted into (removed for transport) the Barzilay cabinet, and the amp rests on them. Then you can slide the amp out to access connections etc. Are these a McIntosh part? Like Pan-Locs? Or just generic period...
  13. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

I have not tried. Yet anyway. I do have some nice Altec 604s in cabinets of a different finish i “could” load in if a set turns up. But the console is remarkably short of stature at 30”….I am not sure how they would sound. So i “may” grab a friends JBL set that very closely matches the finish...
  14. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

I feel the same. I took a bit of risk for sure. Untested and unused for some time. I ran the tuner up on a variac/DBT combo over a few hours. At 80v it came to life putting out signal, and at 100 it sounds fantastic honesty. I will restore that electrically now, and test the rest of the tube...
  15. rudedogg

Mc/Barzilay purchase

Sooo about week ago i posted about a Barzilay console loaded up with McIntosh and some other gear. My intention was to get an idea of the value of it in that forum. After which i went forward with the purchase of the unit. I thought this sub forum would enjoy the gear. The R2R certainly is not...
  16. rudedogg

Sooo i have decided to go forward with the purchase. I did do just a little better by offering pickup myself rather than he delivering to my house. That also gives me an “out” if when i see it in person i decide against it. My thoughts are it would be a task to chase down all three tube McIntosh...
  17. rudedogg

I will indeed use a variac and a DBT to at least test function. But i will then recap and upgrade the power supplies and coupling caps at the least for longevity
  18. rudedogg

Hey Blue, i will restore it myself. So i will not accrue labor costs, just parts. And these old Mc components will not cost too much, the most money will be in multi section filter cans i will have stuffed by Hayseed. If the tuner needs aligned, and is beyond my capability i will have to pay...
  19. rudedogg

Yep that is the one. I do feel i could likely find the correct speaker cabinets after. I see a couple pair a year in my general area. Do you have any opinion on value of the piece?
  20. rudedogg

I do have a nice set of large custom mahogany 1963 cabinets loaded with Altec 604 i can use with the gear
  21. rudedogg

I do know exactly what he got it for. A little over $3k.. sooo yea he is pulling good profit on it even at $4k. I will try and see if he will go a little less. Can’t hurt! Unfortunately he is more an acquaintance then close friend. He buys and sells a lot of gear. That is what he wants to do...
  22. rudedogg

Yea, that is why i am still on the fence a bit. I get that it is nice gear, but yes a friend deal should be a little less. In his defense, i am the dummy who offered the $5k in a moment of infatuation. I will likely honor my offer, because the amp and preamp are pretty easy restorations for my...
  23. rudedogg

He got it for quite a bit less. And was going to flip it for a good bit more than i offered him to give it to me. I feel i am paying up, to unrestored value on the Mc gear. The rest is pretty much free then. I will restore the pieces myself. But i want to know other opinions before i plop down...
  24. rudedogg

The equipment cabinet has only record storage built in. There were a set of McIntosh speakers used with it. But i think my buddy who grabbed the console missed them, or somebody else bought them separately. It was at a tag sale from the original owner’s estate
  25. rudedogg

Here are some quick pics of the actual unit. It is dusty, but appears pretty good cosmetically. I do not want the current owner to plug it in. I would rather use a variac and DBT for that.
Back
Top Bottom