Search results

1. cleverdick

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Lady Robot by Laszlo Bencker. (And I know I'm the only one in the world listening to this right now.)
  2. cleverdick

Akai 4000DB Supply-Side Hub

Hi All, I have a 4000DB on the bench with tape tension issues. Unfortunately the supply-side hub has been got-at, with washers and circlip absent and incorrect reassembly. Looking at the exploded-view in the manual, it does not make clear which of the washers are nylon or steel, their...
  3. cleverdick

Holy cow is it really the 3rd one made?

Well obviously there *would* have been a third one made, but as you say, what are the chances of owning it? This scenario comes up quite often in the broadcast sector though, where production runs are much smaller and some items are almost bespoke. Just as oddly, I was once given a pair of...
  4. cleverdick

So - just how good are are vintage Japanese S-arms?

I think the counterquestion has to be: Compared to what? (Japanese J-shaped arms? Straight arms? One-piece arms? And so on...) My frame of reference is limited by a Jelco SA-370, Lustre GST-1 (a.k.a. Acos Lustre) and that on a Trio KD-2055. (I also rate the Technics '1200/1210 Mk2 arm...
  5. cleverdick

Tandberg TCD 310 Cassette Deck - Refurbed and working

They don't, lol! ;) In fact, ahead of some transfer work I recently checked the line-up of the 700 ZXL - using (as always) a pristine set of BASF calibration tapes. (Only the click-stop azimuth adjustment precludes perfect channel phase coherence at 10kHz.) The 700 Tri-Tracer currently has a...
  6. cleverdick

Tandberg TCD 310 Cassette Deck - Refurbed and working

I have a Mk2 in the attic. I really ought to pull it out. At the time (some 20 years ago) and after a full alignment, I was literally blown away by the amount of HF it could get onto the tape - and on a That's EX I'd never heard anything like it! But now I have two Naks, which are kind of...
  7. cleverdick

Help Identifying Misc. Studer Parts

They're for PR99 Mk2. Absolutely keep them! (Some of those electrolytics will need replacing mind you, plus the Rifa on the Capstan Speed Control board...)
  8. cleverdick

Is AK running painfully slow lately or just me (Oct 2021)?

There does seem to be a bit of Internet weirdness going on as of today. I'm getting a lot of site security warnings (Firefox and Chrome), and some sites seem to be offline altogether. (In particular, so-called "alternative" news sites.) General slowness, for sure. I was wondering if it was...
  9. cleverdick

corruption in the audio magazine industry

I gave up reading the UK hi-fi magazines by the late 1980s. Something changed in about 1981, and from then on, the bias towards British equipment was blatant and shameless. You could be forgiven for thinking that Linn was the be-all-and-end-all of everything. (A co-worker who used to work for...
  10. cleverdick

Will 4 track cartridges play in cart machines?

Whilst the NAB system is based on Muntz 4-Track form-factor (as has already been said), the track configuration is quite different. I don't know much about the Muntz system, except that (1) Tandberg did produce a version, and (2) There were various sizes (as distinct from tape lengths) - the...
  11. cleverdick

Revox B77 MkII suddenly stopped Fast Forwarding. Everything else OK

Baz, just seen your location. You could take it right into the Studer office and demand that they fix it! ;) In seriousness, there is a company called Audio House in the area, set up by ex-Studer tape guys. Try giving them a call.
  12. cleverdick

New Sepea Stabiliser card for the Studer A80 - Review on Tannoyista.com

This appears to be a very interesting concept. However, I must question your choice of Samwha capacitors - especially 85c types; I am curious as to why you chose those (as opposed to - say - Rubycon ZL or similar). Nonetheless it is a beautifully-made board! I spent many years servicing A80s...
  13. cleverdick

Revox B77 MkII suddenly stopped Fast Forwarding. Everything else OK

Unlikely, but don't discount the pushbutton contact strip. The dimple-discs can and do break off. This is more common in a professional environment where there's a lot of heavy use, but it's still worth checking. (Don't let the brass pins fall out!)
  14. cleverdick

Realistic vs Sansui

A cursory glance online shows the Sansui to be of single-rail design, meaning that each output is coupled via an electrolytic capacitor. Whilst certainly not terrible, Hi-Fi Choice No7, Receivers, gives it a lukewarm review (7070 and 9090 being in a different league). The Realistic STA-84...
  15. cleverdick

Did Shure stop making cartridges?

I hear you in part! ;) But the better Shures were always just beyond what I could afford. Recently though, I was about to invest in a Jico replacement for an ED-T2. Then I discovered the AT110E. Game off. (Once I even turned down a homeless V15II because the silver plastic housing looked...
  16. cleverdick

Did Shure stop making cartridges?

In some ways, I think Shure was a victim of its own success. The bewildering array of models over the years, some of which were simply relaunches under a different banner, was just too confusing. Some TT manufacturers (e.g. Garrard) fitted them as OEM, but were they carefully chosen for the...
  17. cleverdick

Low-Pass Filter Stage Mystery

Thanks - yes, back to school for me I think! ;)
  18. cleverdick

Cheers for this - yes, I've studied active filters in my time but that was back in the dark ages! No doubt I'm missing something in plain sight. :)
  19. cleverdick

Gentlemen, I have a conundrum. I wish to experiment with disabling the 7kHz rolloff on the rear channels of a Yamaha DSP-E390 Pro-Logic decoder. I've found the schematic of a comparable model (i.e. same make / vintage), in which this appears to be done before and after Pro-Logic decoding by...
  20. cleverdick

Bottom-Feeder 'Phones - The Cheaphone Thread

Look closely at the Superlux models. A co-worker (in broadcast engineering) pointed these out to me, and I was so impressed I bought the HD-330 open-backeds. To put it politely, their designs are "inspired by" those from AKG, Beyer etc., and in some cases use compatible replacement parts...
  21. cleverdick

Sandwich Speakers: Kef and Leak in Competition?

No, I am referring to the Kef M64. Totally faded into obscurity now, but very Leak-like in its construction.
  22. cleverdick

All fascinating stuff. In fact, I have speakers from both Kef and Leak from that era, each with their strengths and weaknesses. In particular though, I was thinking about the very rare blue-coned elliptical unit (which I can now find no reference to - weak pun not intended).
  23. cleverdick

Going back to the late 1960s and early 1970s, both Kef and Leak were producing composite 'sandwich' drive units (bass and mid) which used similar construction, i.e. polystyrene with an aluminium skin front and back. Given that Harold Leak (I believe) had a patent on this technology, I am left...
  24. cleverdick

Selecting a Bridge Rectifier

Hi AKers, I am rebuilding a pair of 100W monoblock amplifiers, based on OMP-100 modules. OMP was a brand of BK Electronics in the UK, most famous for its MOSFET designs. (The OMP-100 is bi-polar, however, using quasi-complimentary TO-3 devices in parallel pairs.) Being aimed at constructors...
  25. cleverdick

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

'Number One' by Patrice Rushen.
Back
Top Bottom