Search results

1. SteveAndBell

Anyone know the status of 'Sculpted Foam Innovations'?

Long story short... I purchased a set of L100 grilles from 'Sculpted Foam Innovations' about a year ago. They eventually arrived (Austalia) but the colour spray was poorly finished so I contacted Scott within hours of opening them, explained the fault with attached pics and he agreed to replace...
  2. SteveAndBell

B&W 601 S3 Woofer Surrounds

Hi all. I've scored a cosmetically minty pair of 601 S3s for free and although all drivers work the fancy grey woofer surrounds have turned to glass, a very typical issue for these 20 year old speakers unfortunately. Anyway, as per the pic, I've removed the old surrounds, cleaned them up a...
  3. SteveAndBell

Compact Dim Bulb Tester

Been meaning to build a proper DBT for a while but wanted something compact so just finished this and thought some of you may be interested... Managed to (just) fit it all into a Hammond 1590 die-cast enclosure, 110x81x44mm (4.3x3.2x1.7"). Based around a G9 halogen oven light...
  4. SteveAndBell

Thorens 125 MkII - So close!

Hi all. After following the great 'Barn Find' thread (/https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/thorens-td-125-barn-find.842455/) and the incredible knowledge & advice provided by Tom (thanks so much @tnsilver ) I've managed to get my 125 MkII from literal trash to something closely...
  5. SteveAndBell

Seeking Desolder Gun Nozzle Advice

Hi all. Treated myself to a fancy Solder & Desoldering station but neither came with a tip/nozzle so I'm now on the hunt for them. I think I know which Soldering Tips to buy but does anyone have any recommendations on the size & bore of a good desoldering nozzle suitable for vintage...
  6. SteveAndBell

Which is better... long signal cables or long speaker cables?

Hi all. Wasn't sure where to post this as it could come under a few headings but I've been pondering a few methods about how to plan basic things for my new listening space (hopefully ready to go within the next few months). I'll have a couple of comfy armchairs in the middle of the space for...
  7. SteveAndBell

Cheapest decent sounding Mullard 3-3?

More of a discussion starter than anything... I understand the importance of using quality iron & tubes, especially in this particular design but I'm wondering if anyone has put the effort in to really push the original design to it's limits from a cost cutting perspective to see how little is...
  8. SteveAndBell

AKs first ever Perreaux PMF 2000SB?

I think it might be :) Haven't collected much over the last 4-5 years and haven't frequented AK much during that time either as I've been busy with a major house move, downsize, restoration & renovation however it's looking like I may finally get a workshop space back in about mid-late 2020 so...
  9. SteveAndBell

Rotel RA-01 Zener Diode type?

Hi all. I'm fixing a nice little Rotel RA-01 for a neighbour... it's been reported to intermittantly hum but I couldn't get it to fail over several hours bench testing today. Either way, the first thing I noticed when popping the top was the use of DSBG on the four filter caps which also...
  10. SteveAndBell

Can anyone ID these Yamaha Ear Speakers?

Hi all. Just collected these: They're obviously Yamaha as they have a 'Yamaha' badge on the grille cloth and Yamaha were the only manufacturer making those woofers way back when. I didn't have much time to look at them as I had to chuck them in storage but will hopefully have a closer look...
  11. SteveAndBell

Yamaha C-40 PreAmp cooling solutions?

Hi all. I recently aquired a C-45 to replace my C-40 and although it sounds excellent (& the model matches the M-45 it's connected to) I think I like the sound of the C-40 more. Can't explain why but it's made me start thinking about better cooling solutions for the two voltage regulator...
  12. SteveAndBell

Yamaha M45 Capacitor List

Hi all. I'm away from my M45 but would like to order the big batch of caps required for a recap project. I searched AK but couldn't find a definitive list and I couldn't access the service manual docs posted in some threads so would anyone here have one? Avionic?? ;) Cheers, Steve.
  13. SteveAndBell

M-45 DSBG Component Replacement

Hi all. Got to the holiday shack a couple of days ago and was listening to my treasured C-40 & M-45 combo for an hour or so when the M-45 made a quick buzzing/humming sound then threw itself into Protection mode :( Powering her off and on again cleared the fault however she tripped again...
  14. SteveAndBell

Combined HT & Critical Listening in Lounge

Recently offloaded a crappily built suburban McMansion and moved to a small inner city rental while we wait for something to appear to buy nearby. Offloaded a heap of 'yet-to-be-repaired' & 'Low/Mid-fi' gear in the process and kept the 'better' stuff but still have a lot more to offload yet...
  15. SteveAndBell

DIY IKEA IVAR Hifi Rack

Recently moved house, downsized the hoard and due to minimal space I decided to try combining the HT and Hifi Listening systems into the one space. To do this I needed a new rack but as this is just a short-term rental I didn't want to spend a lot on something I may only need for a year or two...
  16. SteveAndBell

Martin Logan Ascent i - My first ESLs, but what Amp?

Just bought my first ESLs, a pair of used but *minty* Martin Logan Ascent i's. Connected them up last night just to hear them in their new home and yeah, I now know what all the fuss is about ;) Not bad, not bad at all! I plan to run them them with a Perreaux SM2 & a couple of Perreaux 3000Bs...
  17. SteveAndBell

Pioneer SC-LX73 / SC-LX83

Thought I'd post some recent experience repairing a big mutha Pioneer SC-LX73 as it seems no-one else has thus far. Here's a link to its archived product page: http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/archive/SC-LX73/page.html A friend gave me this huge, high-end 9.1 channel HT Receiver and said...
  18. SteveAndBell

TUNDE TS4000/TS8000 Power Amplifier

Hi all. I recently bought a rack unit for a crazy low price from someone keen to be rid of it as they were moving and didn't think it deserved to be chucked in a skip. The rack frame had a TUNDE SW8000 and a TUNDE TS4000 unit screwed into it however there was very little detail in the Ad and...
  19. SteveAndBell

36VAC = '??'VDC

Hi guys. I have a relatively new Toroid Transformer with a 36V output (2-wire AC, not centre tapped!) that I'd like to try to use to power a small-ish D-Class Amp with but I'm confused about what voltage this will be once rectified & filtered. I've read conflicting reports, some say it will...
  20. SteveAndBell

Offboard Output Transistors?

Hi all. I'm about to build an old 125W Amp kit based around MJE340/350 Transistors and in order to fit it into the existing cabinet (an old SONOS ZonePlayer case) I need to mount the PCB 90 degrees to the rear panel where the heatsink & aforementioned outputs will be mounted. I assume it's OK...
  21. SteveAndBell

LEAK Stereo 70 - Blown DC Fuse

HI all. Managed to score a lovely little LEAK Stereo 70 today for nothing because the old guy who owned it said it no longer worked. Got it home, took it out of its sleeve and was surprised at how clean it was inside (see 2nd pic). Did a few basic tests, made sure the voltage selector was...
  22. SteveAndBell

Bose Spatial Receiver (111803) - Power Issue

Got this from a 'kerbside collecting' friend today, power lead chopped off and told that it didn't power up. Apparently made by Sansui on commission to Bose (unconfirmed) it's built really well and has a scarily similar cosmetic design to my B&O Beolab 5000 Integrated from 10+ years earlier...
  23. SteveAndBell

Sony TA-F333ESR Integrated

I don't know much about Sony gear so are there any opinions of what the attached TA-F333ESR Integrated is worth? Far from perfect but far from junk too. Seems to work well but needs at least a switch & pot clean. Has a stupidly clean sound and I can't help but lift the lows on the Tone...
  24. SteveAndBell

MUZO Cobblestone Multi-Zone Player

I've been a big fan of SONOS since buying my first ZonePlayer back in 2007. Since then I've basically filled the house with SONOS but mainly with ZonePlayers so I can connect my own Amps & Speakers. I do have a few of their modern 'all-in-one' PLAY units purely for convenience but I enjoy the...
  25. SteveAndBell

Yamaha NS-10s & Tubes

It's just starting to get cool enough here in Brisbane to start firing up my Tube Amps again, yay. As per the pic below, I'm currently in my tiny Workshop/Study/Lab in a coolish 28C/82.4F thoroughly enjoying my little Star SA-30 PP Tube Amp powering one of the few pairs of NS-10s I have...
Back
Top Bottom