Search results

1. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Hey all. One of my Record Den finds cleaned up well, so I've been digging some Ahmad Jamal. I'm a little iffy on trying the other two. As a random audio-related aside today I learned that an Audioengine USB DAC can survive a wash cycle. Thought I'd share my findings, although I'll try to...
  2. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Hey all, if anyone is interested in another endurance auto race, the 24 hours of Nurburgring is this weekend. Vodafone Deutschland has German, International (English from the Radio Le Mans announcers, I believe), and onboard streams, all on YouTube here...
  3. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Definitely. I've only heard his recordings since the 80s Sphere albums, but it's been fascinating to hear many of recordings since. Yeah, they did, but they were in the recent additions section, on the floor. I asked which are the most recent of the recently in albums and was told those on...
  4. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Cool. I believe I have at least some of the tracks on this 70s GNP Crescendo album.
  5. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

I remember watching a bit of rally on Speed at a relative's house, but I never got it until it was Nascarified. I believe the WRC offers a paid streaming service, but I haven't tried it. I'd like to see them, or any Barron performance. I hadn't heard Stephens or Rodriguez before this.
  6. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

I've considered a subscription as I'd like a chance to pick additional teams to watch (other than the Indians), and that's absurd. On a somewhat related note, I like rally and endurance racing, like the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The last few years I've bought the stream for Le Mans, which was...
  7. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Hey, everyone. I've been absent for a bit, but I hope all is well. Anyway, Kenny Barron's newest release, Concentric Circles, arrived today (with requisite cracked jewel case) and is playing now. So far I'm digging it. It's a quintet on Blue Note. In short if you've ever thought, "Is anyone...
  8. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

The new turntable? Looks spiffy.
  9. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

I just asked Alexa if she knows any jazz jokes. "What music do monkeys love? Swing music." And "How do you applaud a jazzy snowman? With a cold snap."
  10. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Good evening. Happy NBA playoffs? I could be watching, but instead I'm listening to the Akiyoshi/Tabackin big band.
  11. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Happy Friday the 13th. I'm listening to something that arrived today, Adam Shulman Sextet's Full Tilt. I hadn't heard of him nor the others on the recording but was looking through new jazz releases on Amazon, heard the samples, and decided to buy a copy. I'm digging it; it has a bit of a...
  12. Carraway

If You Could Go Back In Time To One Concert....

I once went to see Albert Collins at a club in Chicago and was really looking forward to it. Sadly, I got there and learned the show had been cancelled. Collins' bus had broken down, and he hadn't been able to fix it in time. The bartender gave me a free drink, though, "from Albert." Never...
  13. Carraway

If You Could Go Back In Time To One Concert....

Bar hop around 52nd street during the development of bebop and other ideas, especially during the recording ban years. Parker, Monk, Gillespie, Powell, Christian...
  14. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Groovy, thanks! I'm looking forward to your impressions, especially with the 2M Blue. At least people at Music Direct knew about the transport screws, but I'm surprised Pro-Ject didn't mention it. Maybe a translator or manual writer missed a deadline.
  15. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Apologies for the jazz break, but if you don't mind my asking has there been an update with the turntable? I've not been able to peruse this site as much lately.
  16. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

I have a number of DMMs, as most of my LPs were bought in the mid to late 80s. I haven't had a chance to compare most of them with other pressings, but I certainly got a lot of play out of them.
  17. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Good afternoon. Some Phineas Newborn Jr. (Amazon photo). For anyone unfamiliar, Newborn had astounding piano "chops" in the Tatum/Powell/Peterson range. And while the title and cover look akin to the 50s "mood music" albums, it's fairly hard grooving jazz.
  18. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

I just read that Cecil Taylor has passed. Playing For Olim.
  19. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

I started the morning streaming Lennie Tristano's New Tristano. I need to listen to more of him. On a jazzish-outlier note, I then booted up some 90s swing revival (Squirrel Nut Zippers) to try improving moods a bit. And because I've not posted pictures of late and, well, just because, here's...
  20. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Adding to this recommendation, Anat Cohen and Fred Hersch recently released an album. There are samples here.
  21. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Fred Hersch Trio, Alive at the Vanguard.
  22. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Vijay Iyer Trio's Break Stuff is now playing.
  23. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Tiring week, Brought my dad home from the hospital after hip replacement surgery this afternoon. After getting a little quiet time I decided to fire up the stereo and play Christian McBride Big Band's Bringin' It. Photo from Mack Avenue.
  24. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

Some Mel & company.
  25. Carraway

Today's JAZZ playlist

How is this? Also, have you heard Live in Stockholm 1960? I'm wondering how they compare, as I believe the Stockholm album was recorded a couple days earlier. I find Stockholm interesting as Trane's approach to the Kind of Blue tunes is very different, like he was breaking through them into...
Back
Top Bottom