Search results

1. brillcat

Near field speaker suggestions needed please

We are converting an 11' x 10' screen room to a 4-season room this fall. We won't be doing critical listening there -- mostly jazz at low levels -- but I still want to wall-mount a couple of decent speakers. Three sides will have windows and a glass door, the fourth is aluminum siding. Not the...
  2. brillcat

Upgrade TT or cartridge?

Hi all, Having recently (Summer 2018) gotten back into LPs, I lucked out and found a Sony PS-LX22 in great condition, just needed some basic servicing and cleaning. After reading many cartridge reviews I installed a new AT95e, and set up the tracking/anti-skating per the manual and used one of...
  3. brillcat

Sony ST-J 55/60/75 station preset labels

Has anyone got a DIY fix for sourcing or making the station labels on these tuners? They are backlit and the original material is some kind of plastic film. I've searched the 'net for the original labels but no luck. At this point I would be happy with numbers (1-8) or letters (A-H), or a...
  4. brillcat

Hitachi FT-R10 tuner

Anyone have some impressions, pro or con, they would like to share about this 1980s tuner? Pretty sure it was part of a rack system (3500 Series) and I found the owner's and service manuals on HiFIEngine, so that helps. It resembles the FT-8000 but that may just be cosmetic. FMTuner.info does...
  5. brillcat

Kenwood KT-5020 score

After years of looking for steals at GW, my ship finally came in. Sitting on the shelf under 3 DVD players was a KT-5020 for $7.95... (rated #10 out of 84 at FMtunerinfo.com). Some minor scuffing on the cabinet and some sticky stuff here and there, but it looked super clean otherwise. I plugged...
  6. brillcat

low cost analog-to-digital converter?

Has anyone had experience with the Monoprice #8127 ADC? I need coax and optical output, and this looks like it fits the bill. I've had good experience with Monoprice but it sure is inexpensive... https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8127
  7. brillcat

Signal path from R2R to DAC

I have a Teac A4010s that I enjoy a lot but I am curious about running the analog output of the R2R into an ADC (analog-digital converter) so that I can process the digital signal through my Benchmark DAC. Has anyone tried this and, with what results? (I have the same idea about doing this on my...
  8. brillcat

Using an ADC on a vintage FM tuner

(moved to another forum)
  9. brillcat

Tidal and Apple...

Hi all, we are an Apple product family (our MacBook Pros are vital to our work) so when it came time to catalog and stream my music, the easy route for me was Apple. All my CDs are ripped to ALAC on an external 1Tb drive and I stream via Airplay to a Airport Express connected via an optical...
  10. brillcat

Tidal and Apple

Moved to http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tidal-and-apple.788416/
  11. brillcat

Looking for Pioneer amps with fluoroscan

Is there a pdf of a brochure -- or just someone's good memory -- that can tell me the range of Pioneer amplifiers with a fluoroscan display? In particular I am wondering what were the TOTL offerings, with and without wood sides.
  12. brillcat

Amp hum-static on right channel

I recently picked up a super clean JVC SEA MCA-105E 5107 amp and it functions well with one exception. When I power it up there is the sound of background hum or "static" on the right channel only, not unlike FM static if you were slightly off the signal. It is not on the left channel (I...
  13. brillcat

Calculating watts @ 4 ohms, 8 ohms

Is there a simple formula to convert amp output of XX watts @ 4 ohms to XX watts @ 8 ohms? Nikko only lists output as 75 watts per channel continuous @ 4 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz... most ratings I see are given @ 8 ohms. Thanks!
  14. brillcat

FM gangs... how to count?

Hi all, forgive me for asking a question that has likely been discussed in the past. I am wondering how to tell how many gangs a vintage FM tuner actually has? And how to tell the difference between AM and FM gangs? Is it a visual inspection, or do I have to know how to read a schematic? Also...
  15. brillcat

Connecting speaker switch to sub?

I have a vintage amp (Nikko TRM 750) currently connected via the A speaker outputs to a Polk PSW10 subwoofer, and the sub is connected to a pair of Dayton Audio B652 Air speakers suspended from the wall. It is a great everyday set-up that does not take up a lot of space in our living room and is...
  16. brillcat

Pioneer TX-9500 troubleshooting

Just picked up a very clean example. cosmetically that is. It powers on but I get no audio output when tuning the dial, from either the fixed or variable RCA jacks. I have checked the obvious, starting with hooking up a known good tuner. So the cabling and amp are not suspect. The fuse on the...
  17. brillcat

Did my Technics SA-300 just die?

I've had this unit about 3 months after picking it up for $40. Just needed Deoxit, dusting the boards and an oveall cleaning. Since then it has performed flawlessly on FM and AUX (MP3) at fairly low volumes in my kitchen. Then yesterday I flipped the power switch on, there was a loud pop...
  18. brillcat

SACD settings

I am just getting into SACD and picked up a cherry Denon DVD 2200 today based on the various reports I read online. I know this unit is about 10 years old and today's players are running SACD through HDMI to DSD-capable A/V receivers, but my option is the multi-channel analog output to the M/C...
  19. brillcat

Sony STR-6065 center channel output?

I picked up a Sony STR-6065 awhile back and have been running 2 sets of speakers that sound great -- Avid 102s and EPI 100s. Now I am planning to move this system to an area of the house that is more compact and am considering using the center channel output for a sub and maybe just the EPIs to...
  20. brillcat

Sony STR-6065 center channel output?

I picked up a Sony STR-6065 awhile back and have been running 2 sets of speakers that sound great -- Avid 102s and EPI 100s. Now I am planning to move this system to an area of the house that is more compact and am considering using the center channel output for a sub and maybe just the EPIs to...
  21. brillcat

Smallest low-wpc vintage receivers

I've been doing a lot of research on AK, HiFiengine.com and Googling everything I can think of to find the smallest silver-faced era receivers. Low WPC is OK because it's going in my kitchen with bookshelf speakers. The critical dimension for me is depth because the cabinet is only 12 inches...
  22. brillcat

Sansui 331 tuner problem

I picked up a very clean 331 last fall, deox'd it and now have it powering a couple of small bookcase speakers in my kitchen. It's small size fits perfectly in the shallow cabinet over our sink, with enough clearance for venting. I play the FM (KMHD jazz) almost exclusively, it has a nice warm...
  23. brillcat

Sony STR-6065 FM stereo problem

I just acquired a very nice STR-6065. Everything works well with one exception. There's a problem with the FM tuner signal in stereo mode. Although the stereo light illuminates, the sound is significantly muted and scratchy in stereo mode compared to the mono mode, which BTW sounds terrific...
  24. brillcat

Mystery knob

I need some seasoned eyes to help me identify what brand of component on which this style of knob/lever appeared. I have searched online images of every brand I can think of and have not found a lever like this that tapers at the base. (it has a clear plastic insert too.) Thanks in advance, if I...
  25. brillcat

Is there a good thread on TT cleaning?

Just got a PL-510A and don't want to do anything stupid on disassembly, any tips would be appreciated! Also suggestions on what to clean, etc. I've cleaned up a lot of silver-faced receivers but this is my first try at a TT :)
Back
Top Bottom