Search results

1. robbymo

Interference across vintage receivers - Marantz/Pioneer/Eico

Thanks @ramzilla and @sqlsavior I've just ordered a cheap radio and I'll give that a shot as a last ditch effort to try to trace down the source. Failing that, do you suspect that a more modern amplifier with better shielding would remedy this issue -- a cheap, modern surround sound receiver in...
  2. robbymo

The issue is not isolated to one receiver, it's occurring on 4+ different devices!
  3. robbymo

The issue is occurring in different rooms, with outlets on different breakers. Would that indicate anything?
  4. robbymo

Update here; I've installed shielded speaker cables and interconnects, as well as an isolating power strip and have had no luck with this issue. Does anyone believe installing a dedicated circuit in my apartment building would cure this? I believe this is an electrical issue. Thanks...
  5. robbymo

ground loop?

Was referred to this thread here but still a mystery. Can anyone ID this noise? Is it ground loop interference or something else -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/21uk4b2jc4kirxh/Interference.m4a?dl=0 I've disconnected most/all components and tried different receiver/speaker combos in different...
  6. robbymo

Hi there after some time and trying to eliminate variables I am still having issues. Here is a recording of the sound - hope someone can help explain! https://www.dropbox.com/s/21uk4b2jc4kirxh/Interference.m4a?dl=0
  7. robbymo

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I just learned from a neighbor that the building across the street may have put a cell phone tower up. Am I out of luck if that's indeed the case?
  8. robbymo

Fascinating! Is there any easy remedy for this or do I need to start knocking on doors?
  9. robbymo

Hello AK - I posed this query in the tube amp section a few days ago but it appears this problem is occurring across all my receivers/amps. I'd originally heard a high pitched noise in all channels in my EICO HF-81, sounding a bit like Cell Phone interference of yore ... a faint squealing noise...
  10. robbymo

eico hf-81 - interference noise

Hello, my hf-81 is my first foray into the vintage tube world. I've been using the amp for 6 months with no issue but today noticed that there is a noise that increases when I turn the volume knob up on all channels. There is a high pitched air-y noise as well as a sporadic sound over top that...
  11. robbymo

eico hf-81 + marantz 140 bi-amp?

Would this be possible? Powering Snell E II's. I've heard bi-amping with tubes powering high frequency and SS powering low frequency can be nice. Just a bit stumped on how to wire it out.
  12. robbymo

Upgrading from Snells w vintage Marantz system

They were recently refoamed, yes. I do worry that some of the connections could be coming loose. Otherwise maybe it's an issue with my amp/receiver set up. To note: I also have a set of Large Advents
  13. robbymo

Running Snell JII's, elevated on stands. I am looking for a bit more midrange, a lot of recordings are sounding a little bit under water. This might have to do with the state of the speakers but I also think I could bring more volume/power into the room. It's 19 x 19, high ceiligns. Persian rug...
  14. robbymo

Hey there, thanks for the reply! I might just grab the Dahlquist but I want to see what else is out there. To note, I am running Snell JII's. Any other suggestions appreciated!
  15. robbymo

Hey AK -- I have a Marantz 140 being driven by a 2230 while a 3200 is undergoing some restoration. With the system, I'm getting a flatness from my Snells and am looking to upgrade something that might do better with 70 wpc. Have a Thorens TD 160 and NAD 500 CD player I have a fairly large room...
  16. robbymo

2230 vs 2226b pre-out with Main/Remote Speakers

Starting a fresh thread as this topic is a bit more specific/unique than where I originally inquired. I have a Marantz 2230 and a 2226b. Hoping to run one of them through a Marantz 140 powering one set of speakers but also being able to toggle to another set -- not run both at the same time...
  17. robbymo

Marantz 2230/ marantz 140 with 2 sets of speakers

Follow up here. I plugged the Marantz 140 Power Amp to a Marantz 2226B via PRE OUT. I had a pair of speakers directly plugged into the 2226B that I was able to toggle on and off via the 1/2 Speaker buttons, in addition to the speakers running from the 140. Curious how the PRE-OUT overrides the...
  18. robbymo

Correction. I have a Marantz 2230 which I'm running to the 140 from the Pre Out switch. 140 connects to the speakers thus my A/B toggle on the 2230 is not functional. I've been doing a lot of searching on this site for an ideal switch box but can't seem to find a consensus on one that won't...
  19. robbymo

Reviving this thread as I have a similar inquiry/set up However I would like to toggle btwn two sets of speakers , not run both at the same time. Would connecting a switch to the amplifier present the same issues PROJECT outlined above?
  20. robbymo

marantz 2230 no signal w/o amplifier

whoaru99, that solved it. Thank you -amateur
  21. robbymo

marantz 2230 no signal w/o amplifier

Hi there, I recently attached a Marantz 140 to my Marantz 2230 using the pre-out with the 140 driving a set of speakers. I unplugged the 140 to test another set of speakers through the 2230 (with everything off, of course) but am no longer getting any signal to any speakers when run direct from...
  22. robbymo

Next steps

WMG, any great 'starter' tube amplifiers come to mind that'd suit this system? Have looked into Dynaco ST-70 but maybe I need something with more power.
  23. robbymo

Next steps

Great questions. I like the way the system sounds right now in terms of its warmth and smoothness. I listen to a lot of rock (of various fidelity, punk indie) and loud jazz music so I could move to something that adds more of an active punch to the set up, maybe a bit more 'live' -- maintaining...
  24. robbymo

Next steps

Thanks N8 and Joe -- I'll get the multimeter out this weekend & look into new cables. I recently had the turntable cleaned up, it's on a wall shelf with isolation cones. Any other steps recommended? Love the term "upgradeitis" - definitely down with a case here!
  25. robbymo

Next steps

I currently have a Grado Gold cartridge mounted. I've mounted Audio Technica ATL440ML but have found the Grado to be closest to my preference. I also have a Shure VN5MR in storage that dates back to the 80s. The speakers are currently on stands so I'm good there.
Back
Top Bottom