Search results

1. J

KYOWA needles for Shure

You will notice that above I said it didn't matter to me how they were constructed. I have found that stylus can sound good or bad constructed all different kinds of ways. I have no way of knowing how old of stock these are. But I don't believe they are old stock for several reasons. 1 the...
  2. J

KYOWA needles for Shure

I had my hopes up. It was just a few years ago that you could buy decent to excellent budget stylus from evg. The Kyowa's that I just tried are not even close to acceptable. Not that it matters, but this morning I did look at how they are constructed. The VN35E has the cantilever going into...
  3. J

KYOWA needles for Shure

Taken from another thread that I just replied to: My two cents: After reading all of the positive reviews on Kyowa styli I ordered a couple of them to try. I ordered a N95ED, and a VN35E to compare to the several generics that I already had for these carts. Both were installed on aligned carts...
  4. J

Kyowa Stylus through a microscope

My two cents: After reading all of the positive reviews on Kyowa styli I ordered a couple of them to try. I ordered a N95ED, and a VN35E to compare to the several generics that I already had for these carts. Both were installed on aligned carts and I tried to run them on one of my test...
  5. J

Sx980 no relay click

Again, I wanted to say thank you to all for the help with this. I am going to dig into the right side amp board at some point and I will report back here with what happens. James
  6. J

Sx980 no relay click

First off Thank you for all the help with this. But I am defeated..... For now. I replaced Q8 with another 2n5550 with no luck. Next I swapped the right and left Q8's and the right channel continued to have an issue. Next I went over the right amp board several times with a magnifying glass...
  7. J

Sx980 no relay click

I should probably mention that I also checked and set the dc offset to less than 15mv on both channels.(and confirmed on pin 5 and 8 on protection board) And set the idle current to 30mv.
  8. J

Sx980 no relay click

I replaced Q8 on both amp boards with what I had available locally: 2n5550 I also replaced both c11 with wima film caps since I was in there. Then I resoldered D2 on the protection board and fired it up. Now the relay pulls in after 8 seconds like it is supposed to. BUT I now have a new...
  9. J

Sx980 no relay click

Q1 reinstalled. One leg lifted of D2 resulted in relay pulling in. D2 tested just for giggles and test good. I'm guessing that this test tells us that the problem is upstream of Q1? And again, thanks Mark
  10. J

Sx980 no relay click

I 6way tested the old transitor and double checked it to the markings on the board. Then I replaced Q1 with what was available locally:a NTE290a. Once installed the relay would not pull in. So I double checked it for correct installation, then removed it to perform a 6way test on it to verify...
  11. J

Sx980 no relay click

Plugged straight into wall. Grounding the collector of Q2 did indeed pull the relay in. Base of Q2 measured zero volts Removal of Q1 resulted in relay pulling in. I will wait for the next steps. Thanks so much, James
  12. J

Sx980 no relay click

Hey all. I have a new to me sx980 that is not coming out of protection. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. AWM 124 protection board voltages: Spec Reading Pin:10 +65 +68.7 Pin:9. +13. +13.4 Pin:2. -50. -53 Pin:5. 0mv. -73.7mv Pin:8. 0mv. -88mv Pin:1. 21vac...
  13. J

Sx828 weak left channel

I want to update this. I removed and swapped the jfets (q1, q2) and I got equal output in both channels, and the hum was gone. ??? I let the unit play for about 30 minutes and the symptoms returned. So with some more head scratching and probing I tracked it down to a failing solder connection...
  14. J

Sx828 weak left channel

Everything that was unsoldered and replaced has been checked for continuity on both sides of board. I signal probed both in and out of volume pot and checked adjustment. Equal signal and works great. Q1 voltages gate 0v and trips protection relay when checking drain 19.8v source 6.8 Q2...
  15. J

Sx828 weak left channel

I changed C13 47uf 50v since I was there also. Q3 voltages Q4 voltages E: 21.8 22.7 C: 14.5 12.8 B: 21.1 22.1
  16. J

Sx828 weak left channel

Something else that I noticed this evening is with the unit sitting on its side without the bottom cover on the hum gets much louder as your hand gets closer to the board.
  17. J

Sx828 weak left channel

I replaced c11 47 6v with a 47 10v with no change.
  18. J

Sx828 weak left channel

Thanks Mark. Search is my friend. I found an old thread of yours that gave me guidance on where to start. And I wanted to get as far as I could without having to ask for someone else's time. I rebuild automatic transmissions and I give alot of my time/advice when I can. So I know how it is. It...
  19. J

Sx828 weak left channel

Hi audio brethren, I need some help with a sx828 that has low output and some hum on the left channel. These are the things I have tried so far. All the controls and switches were deoxed. I switched the pre out/ ins on the back to trace it to being in the preamp. I replaced all of the...
  20. J

Sx880 phono input problem

Disregard
  21. J

Teac X-1000R recording problem and question

I just wanted to say thank you for the help. It is up and singing now! The guy I got this off of had attempted to replace the belt and messed up the following: He had taken out the offset washer on the capstan motor, put on the wrong belt, lost several screws, taken off the bottom circuit...
  22. J

Thank you so much for the solution (hopefully). I will look at it as soon as I get an hour of free time and report back. James
  23. J

I am having a problem with recording in forward and also have a question. First off I have tuned up my new to me teac with a new teac belt, lubed the linkage, cleaned the heads and pinch rollers etc. Now everything works as it should except for recording in forward. It will play in forward...
  24. J

SX-1980 Slow to get out of protection

As the title says: I have a sx-1980 that takes about 3 to 4 minutes to come out of protection and engage the 2nd relay. I figure the PS board needs rebuilt, but would like to have an idea what is wrong before I just jump in there. Any help would be appreciated. I ran some voltage checks on...
  25. J

Recap cost and time estimate for sx-1050?

FWIW: here is another vote here for doing it yourself or taking it to Matt. I talked to him about doing a full recap on my sx-5590 (Black faced sx-1250) after reading some of his post on here and I have no doubt that he is very knowledgable and works on other peoples gear like it were his own...
Back
Top Bottom