Search results

1. M

Modern DAC/Preamp + Vintage Power = WOW!

So after a long hiatus of dabbling with Vintage stuff, I just brushed off my Harman Kardon PM655 Integrated Amp, and noticed it had the option to act as both a Preamp or Power Amp. For kicks, I decided to hook up my USB Nuforce uDAC's output to the HK PM655's "Main In", and proceeded to hit the...
  2. M

Harman Kardon PM655 Integrated Amp - Fluctuating DC Balance & Other Questions

wow, I had no idea this thread was still going on for some time! As far as my prior issues, I decided to just leave it be. Thank you for the clarification on the reasoning why it goes +/- in DC output. I actually decided to hook back up this unit today and somehow stumbled across my old...
  3. M

Let's start learning electronics!

great thread, coming from a programming background, I have a pretty limited understanding of when it comes to hardware/electronics. I love this hobby, so I've been trying to learn as much as I can about fixing amps, speakers, etc through DIY. I may check out that book from Amazon a few...
  4. M

My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide..

Speaking of solid core cables, a much cheaper alternative is to use solid core Cat5 with Teflon insulation, ie Belden 1585A. If you look on Ebay, you can get that stuff for about $.10-$.20 cents a foot. There are several Cat5 recipes involving different braid quantities, etc. Instead of...
  5. M

Is it OK to use newer speakers with older amps?

I use modern speakers with my HK 70's/80's amps :) Currently running my H/K PM655 Integrated with a pair of Acculine A2 LCRs in Stereo and it sounds fantastic. My source is an Auzentech Prelude playing a combination of FLACs and High VBR Mp3s. I doubt many of you have heard of these...
  6. M

Replacing Speaker Terminals on Vintage Receivers

Perfect, thanks :) I think I have a pair of Athena Point 5 bookshelves that aren't functional, so maybe ill remove the terminals and try putting them on my H/Ks this afternoon
  7. M

I understand the controversy behind cables, but my reasons for doing this are more for convenience than anything. If you are switching cables/speakers often, anyone that has worked with H/K 70s/80s style terminals can tell you that those things are really cumbersome to work with :( I cannot...
  8. M

Thank you for the pictures, thats exactly what I was looking for. Quick question, but do you have a link on the posts you used for the HK930? Did you have to modify the plate at all, or did they just fit right in?
  9. M

I am finding that the speaker terminals on my HK stuff are a pain in the :banana: to use, especially when switching out wires. My HK430 has these spring type terminals which are only good for up to 14-16 guage wire, and my PM655 uses Plastic Screw Terminals. I do not like bare wire attachment...
  10. M

So this begs the next question: How far is retirement for you?

hmm, well considering I just started working full-time after graduating from college in May, I have a long long way to go :)
  11. M

Yamaha CR-840: unstable DC-adjustment

Hey Martin, Sounds like you are experiencing the same issue as I am with my HK PM655 Integrated. I get a wavering DC Balance between +- 10mV even after measuring hours later. I posted in the DC sticky thread and got this:
  12. M

What gear do you HATE?

Modern equipment with way too many bright Blue LEDs :o
  13. M

A 2-new-receivers day is a good day.

I have a HK430 as well and love its warm sound Mine had a working tuner, though I actually unraveled the string while recapping it :(. I've put it aside for another week since I can't seem to figure out how to piece the tuner back, despite having the diagram on the service manual. Very tedious =\
  14. M

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

I posted this in a separate thread, though it was recommended that I repost it here. I recently purchased a PM655 Integrated Amp from Ebay for about $50 shipped. Last weekend, I gave it a brief cleaning and checked the DC Balance and Idling Current for L/R channels according to the Service...
  15. M

The one I got has a white face on it. It feels like a plastic front, but I am not 100% certain. I think the VXI is the later model with more power. Thanks, I will try posting on that thread. The reason I didn't was I thought it would be better to post on seperate thread since it is a little...
  16. M

Hello from Northern NJ!

Hello everyone, A little about myself: I recently graduated with my Bachelors from Rochester Institute of Technology and am now living in NJ and working fulltime :) As far as audio, its a relatively new hobby for me and I enjoy learning as much as I can about it. After my Freshman year...
  17. M

Hi all, my first post here, didn't realize Vintage Solid State had such a big following :) I recently purchased a PM655 Integrated Amp from Ebay for about $50 shipped. Last weekend, I gave it a brief cleaning and checked the DC Balance and Idling Current for L/R channels according to the...
Back
Top Bottom