Search results

1. garpt

Not Trolling But I Just Don't Like Rod Stewart

Geez, I think there is a lot left besides those two! Classic Rock, Beatles to Stones, including Led Zeppelin, some progressive rock including YES (practically a childhood obsession), ELP, Pink Floyd--- British '80's/ "New Wave" incl. Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order,-- Hard bob jazz from...
  2. garpt

Not Trolling But I Just Don't Like Rod Stewart

Never liked him. Although he Is apparently heavily influenced by Black Soul/ Blues, it just looks so forced and phony when he does it. And since they were both my generation, (well Rod's a a little newer), I'll through Dylan into the "never liked" category, although he wrote a few good songs.
  3. garpt

A McIntosh S****ks (stinks) post (JK - I'm an owner!)

OK! Thanks to the MOD for re-opening a thread that I, (the OP), hasn't participated in for almost a week. No taunting from me.... just members barking at each other about how terrible I am :) Anyway, I'm updating my sig to show my new gear. Cheers! -GT
  4. garpt

I went to finish/ update my Mc Intosh thread.....

....And it was locked. A couple of interesting things: * All my responses were measured and respectful. The title was MEANT to draw folks in to read. (using "McIntosh "St**nks" and making it appear as the "meaner" word. It was a playful jest. * MOST interesting: I left the thread for 6...
  5. garpt

quiet, I thought about trying the setup again at my house. But the size and acoustics of both rooms seemed so comparable (and using identical components) it was like an instant "viola!" when I switched the amps at the dealers. I ABSOLUTELY did not go in thinking I would be purchasing (or trading...
  6. garpt

You NAILED it, vauxhall (nice car by the way- had one when I was a kid.) But I expected it, and knew I was going to be "attacked" by saying that McIntosh may not have the best sounding (SS) amps at their price point- or even significantly less. As I heard from a current industry person, and I...
  7. garpt

4-2-7: I've been in this game for a LONG time (over 40 years.) I worked very hard for my money, it's not easy in retail sales of higher- end audio. Thank God I had the sense to get out of it several years ago. Now I'm doing MUCH better with less stress owning my own business in medical. I...
  8. garpt

I tried all taps. The title was "tongue in cheek" (easy enough to tell) Its a fine amp in many ways, just not for me. Would Anyone (who isn't rich beyond all) spend that kind of money, regardless of "perceived value" if they didn't feel it should be a worthwhile unit that one could end up...
  9. garpt

These stats are respectable, anyway:(Primaluna HP Power Amplifier Deluxe) Frequency response (-1dB) 7Hz-62kHz Distortion (10k, 1W, 8 Ohms) 0.15% Sensitivity 1V Noise -112dB Damping factor 0.8 " At 1kHz, 1 Watt distortion measured 0.05% in both modes. It increased steadily with signal level...
  10. garpt

Distortion is what I heard with the McIntosh, vs. what I DID NOT hear at significantly higher DB's with the Primaluna hooked up to the same speakers, same room, same people (unanimous) within minutes of each other. I'm listening to music- I'm tired of listening to statistics. After 40+ years...
  11. garpt

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but I'll go back and re-read it. You obviously intentionally (or unintentionally) read into something that's not there. .It took a few years to rebuild the speakers, especially trying to find NOS parts wherever possible. Tweeters replaced with factory new...
  12. garpt

OK, I started a thread re: members thoughts for new speakers for about 5K (since raised to 7K) to replace my B&W 802 S3's, which I really enjoyed with my previous much less expensive equipment. Within the last 3 or 4 months I have been replacing components at a furious pace. Maybe too fast to...
  13. garpt

Sick of my B&W's (never thought i'd say that- Need recommendations!

... I think there is a difference between Dyna Audio and Dynaudio, too. Just for the record the current manufacturer of higher- end (and high end) speakers currently in production and in most audiophile's top four or five box speaker brands is DYNAUDIO.
  14. garpt

Well, sorry everyone- I went Saturday or a road trip up north from my Ft. Lauderdale location (Florida is a long A** state!) The B&W's sound great- very occasionally- on very well recorded LP's that "suit" their style. Iv'e done, tried everything. There is nothing left to try w/ my current...
  15. garpt

OK, Audiophile fans- need suggestions in a VERY crowded market and limited access here in S. Florida for auditions. I spent over two years and over $1500 to rebuild my B&W Matrix 802 speakers. Almost all new drivers (two woofers just needed new rubber surrounds I was actually able to...
  16. garpt

Rouge Audio Ares Magum....or Manley Chinook preamp?

Interesting-- Actually I never was a Mac person, not that I didn't think they were well made, powerful, and (depending on which side of the debate), very nice sounding. I simply got a few month old MC452 , perfect, for half retail. I didn't ask questions. It had its original box, manuals, etc...
  17. garpt

Rouge Audio Ares Magum....or Manley Chinook preamp?

Hi all, I am shopping for a "next level" phono stage, have upgraded pretty much all my other components. Since a phono stage may be very system dependent IMHO, I want to list the other gear in the chain: * Michell Gyro TT w/ Dynavector 20x2 Low output. * Various cheaper phono stages at this...
  18. garpt

Need expertice on solution for combo system

Exactly. I can just toss the Rotel, which is fine. I wouldn't be against that, but like $7K to 10K for a TON of processing power I'd never use- great stuff. You think McIntosh would know their customers are audiophiles first and make a more bare bones HT system incorporated with the sweet 2...
  19. garpt

I think what I'm lookinf is similar in theory, maybe not practice, to what you have. My assumption is a top tier 2 channel preamp for my analog 2 channel stereo with bypass input/ output, so when that preamp is off, everything is fed to my Rotel HT processor, when I turn on the 2 channel preamp...
  20. garpt

I'm going to look at the McIntosh units you mentioned now. I've never been in a position to own McIntosh equipment, but this might be the way to get started. The reason I would like to get the two sub outputs is to have discreet left and right program material going to each sub for more...
  21. garpt

Hi all, Not sure where to post it, we'll try here. I have a decent size home, but unfortunately with my Sis needing to stay with my partner and I after my Mom's sudden death, I only have have one listening space I share for my HT system and higher- end audio (2 channel analog/ vinyl) system...
  22. garpt

Your Top 5 older cartridges

bobins, I've heard that and can't wait until the stylus wears. It's almost new right now. I know the upgrade trick works w/ Ortofons and many of the older Shures as well.
  23. garpt

Your Top 5 older cartridges

Sorry, I did my "5 Favorite"- well, three are older anyway.... #1- Dynavector 20x2L #2- Ortofon 2M Black #3- ADC XLM Mk III, Shibata stylus #4- Ortofon OM 20 #5- Stanton 681EEE (I LOVED this cartridge when I was much younger, with my '70's prog rock and jazz. When I got back into vinyl about 10...
  24. garpt

Thorens vs. Dual

Absolutely. Towards the end of the '70's, Thorens went with a plastic TT pulley on the platter instead of the alloy metal, plus the cheaper motor. That's why I specified early/ mid '70's. I think it was the model 165(?) when they started going downhill - if someone could confirm.
  25. garpt

Thorens vs. Dual

If you are a true "audiophile" type, I think a majority (IMO) would go with a Thorens, early 1960[s (mucho $$ and some patience) or a mid- late '70's model which you may find at an affordable price, be patient.. Only "downside"- not fully automatic, which many audiophiles consider a good thing...
Back
Top Bottom