Search results

1. R

Some Empire Turntable History

Need some advice on an amp. I have an Empire 698 turntable with a 4000D/III cartridge connected to a Graham Slee Reflex preamp. I have Paradigm Studio 100 Reference speakers. I have been searching for an amp that will be a proper match. I have considered a vintage tube amp but am also open to...
  2. R

Official Jolida JD9 thread

Thanks for all of the advice and PM's. Lots to consider before changing my set up. I just received an email from the person who offered me the Jolida preamp modded by underwood (see post 1051 on page 101). He purchased this new for $2000 before choosing another preamp and claims to have never...
  3. R

Speakers are paradigm studio 100 Room size is 15' x 22'. This room was built as a rec room with a big screen TV, surround sound system, pool table (you get where I'm going with this). Unfortunately my family has grown up and now mostly occupy my family room. That is why i was considering...
  4. R

Thanks jeep for the very interesting read. Although I had difficulty taking in everything you suggested, i did understand enough to get me headed in the right direction. I'll let you know what i end up with. Thanks again for all of your guidence.
  5. R

The SL1200 was offered to me at a almost give away price ($200) and i thought it would work with the yamaha surround system downstairs. The ortophon 2M Black cartridge came with it. I bought the pro-ject phono box to enable the turntable to be used with the Yamaha receiver. The Empire 698 and...
  6. R

Thanks for the feedback heyraz and jeep I am currently using an "old school" and a "new school" system. The new school is used for surround sound (as well as listening to music in the basement) Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver Technics SL-1200 MK2 turntable Ortophon 2M Black cartridge Pro-ject Phono...
  7. R

How is this for a mod: Clarity ESA caps Tung Sol gold pin tubes Burr Brown OPA627AP opamps Herbie's Halo's Soundcoat Chassis damping material EAR brand sorbothane isolation feet All this for about $223 Any comments/suggestions? Thanks
  8. R

Thanks Jeep. So can you recommend a preamp? I was also considering the Yamaha C70
  9. R

I have several cartridges to work with Empire 4000D/III Empire 2000E/III Ortophon 2M Black Audio Technica AT440MLa Denon DL160 Denon DL110 Turntable: Empire 698 Technics SL-1200 MK2
  10. R

Thanks for your guidance. I think i am going to pass on this preamp and look for a factory unit. I have a friend who does audio repairs. I'll see if he can do the mods as you suggested. Thanks again for saving me a lot of money.
  11. R

I have a chance to buy a Jolida JD-9 MK2 modified to level #3 for $1300 Cdn. (see link below) http://www.underwoodhifi.com/2012/06/new-jolida-jd-9a-modification.html I have been reading this thread for endless hours. Can anyone confirm that this modification is the right way to go with this...
  12. R

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

That is an amazing thread. Thanks wualta and Doug G
  13. R

Thanks Doug G. for guiding me in the right direction. Great info.
  14. R

Thanks Doug G. My Sansui works on the QS system. Any decoder model suggestions i should be looking for? Thanks
  15. R

My Sansui AU9500 has the capabilities (with a decoder) to play true quad LP's. That combined with my Empire 4000 cartridge is a start. All i need is the decoder. I am currently listening to the Empire 4000 cartridge in stereo mode and it sounds fantastic.
  16. R

Thanks for the info Stevedel. I'll look into one of those, especially since i have a Sansui AU 95000 amp with quad capabilities as well as the Empire 4000D/III quad cartridge.
  17. R

Can anyone suggest what preamp to buy that works best with the Empire 4000D/III cartridge and 698 turntable? Thanks
  18. R

I tried both clips and after a lot of tinkering, I prefer the high loft. It seems the empire cartridges improve with a slightly higher VTA. I'll just leave the clip off.
  19. R

A note on low loft vs high loft clips. I recently purchased a NOS S4000D/III stylus. The cantilever is not the "tapered" version, but rectangular. The white housing does not have the metal flip up stylus guard, but plastic. When installed on the high loft clip, the stylus guard rubs on the...
  20. R

I received the replacement stylus from Bluz Bros. The stylus was packed in a case that has labels stating it is a genuine Empire product with the company's address on the back label. The cantilever is not the "tapered" style that my original stylus had (with the metal guard rails). Did the...
  21. R

I emailed Bluz Bros and they confirmed the S4000D/III is an Empire Original. They said the stylus was manufactured by Empire Scientific and was part of a recent shipment. I just read some negative blogs where Bluz Bros confirmed stylus as original and when it arrived it was a cheap conical...
  22. R

Bluz Bros are offering a replacement stylus for the Empire 4000D/III. Would you recommend? Thanks
  23. R

I have an original S40000D/III stylus, but the cantilever is broken. Can the cantilever be replaced?
  24. R

Empire 4000D/III stylus I've been reading this thread and have a request. I have an Empire 4000D/I and a 4000D/III cartridge. Both are in need of a stylus replacement. I have been searching for a NOS replacement for almost half a year with no success. I read that the Jico stylus is a good...
  25. R

Some Empire Turntable History

Thanks for the update empirelvr I'll post if I find any more info on this
Back
Top Bottom