Search results

1. T

Cleaning LP sleeves?

If they still smell moldy you can try placing them in a container with an ozone generator. You want to take the records out and use something (a clothes-pin works pretty well) to keep the album cover slightly open. Do this overnight and they are likely to come out smelling much better. You...
  2. T

Info needed on Michaelson Research Strain gauge preamp

I think you need to get the attention of theophile who uses this technology (I think). Go to the below thread, find a post of his (loves his GT-2000) and send a PM https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/arkays-yamaha-gt-2000-social-group.249666/
  3. T

impressive customer experience- Partsconnexion

Purchased my Monitor Audio speakers from them. Very happy with price and service. Of course, I live in Canada and within a 30 minute drive so I just went and picked them up.
  4. T

Best Chair for Listening

I actually have a very similar leather chair with matching ottoman but it is part of a set with a couch in the TV room. I did not think to try that because I would never separate it from the matching couch but it might be a good way to test for the correct style of chair. More furniture moving...
  5. T

Best Chair for Listening

Thank you all for your replies. I have moved an IKEA Tullsta chair that I had hanging around into the listening position. It is a shoulder-high, no headrest chair and is much better for listening. Now, that chair is really too small for me, but a it does tell me more about the height of...
  6. T

Best Chair for Listening

I have a big Chippendale wing-back chair that I use for listening now. I find that the wings on either side reduce the available high-end and reduces the width of the sound stage. There is a very audible difference if I lean forward and get my head in front of the wings. Of course, that is...
  7. T

Discogs Anyone?

Last I checked, and if I recall correctly, use of PayPal is free for making payments (I believe they collect a charge from the vendor). As with most things on the web, if there is no fee (Google, Facebook, Bing, etc...) then YOU are the product and they are selling on information about you...
  8. T

Technics SL D2 skips on first half of records, second half fine.

Had a similar problem twice. Check the lift bar (it will be a subtle difference so hard to spot). That was on an SL-D20 so similar to your turntable. The other time the problem for me was with the install of the KAB fluid damper on an SL-1200. It did not quite sit properly (for some...
  9. T

Stick with mid fi or is there that big of a difference

What may be assumed in all of the comments is that there is an extreme diminishing returns drop-off in sound quality improvement as you start getting to high-end hifi. Whether you want to get into that game depends upon whether you can truly hear a difference if you (a) measure and improve your...
  10. T

B&O Headshell for MMC cartridge ..... SME Style ? Or what?

I broke the tonearm side years ago. Providing the weight was a nice idea. Implementation - not so much.
  11. T

SP-1OMKII arriving by Fed Ex this week.....

The platter in a separate box is excellent. Double-boxing is excellent. Bubble-wrap gives me concerns for your tonearm, but maybe I am just a worry-wart. Hoping for a pristine delivery of your turntable system.
  12. T

SP-1OMKII arriving by Fed Ex this week.....

Not to rain on your parade - I have one of these (SP10Mk2a) and mounted a Jelco 750E tonearm and it is wonderful - but I really hope it was packed properly by the seller. Too many awful stories of what happens if it wasn't.
  13. T

B&O Headshell for MMC cartridge ..... SME Style ? Or what?

Hi Nashou66. I have one of these and used it for many years. The small item in the left on your picture is indeed an auxiliary weight as this is a very light cartridge (with adapter) and you may need that to allow you to set a proper VTF for your tonearm. I can't see the back end (connector...
  14. T

My Prodigal Technics SP-10 MkII all done!! FINALLY!!!

I am so sorry to hear that (well happy that it is not health related, but sorry he has left). I have an SP10 Mk2a that I am plan to do maintenance on. Power supply recap, replace the non-working strobe light, get a much better plinth. JP was a great source of information on this. I wish him...
  15. T

A box of used phono cartridges

Done. Added feature (not bug), the sig is added to all your past posts.
  16. T

New here, and a question about a Yamaha MC-1s cartridge.

There is an extensive thread on the GT-2000 turntable on AK by the many happy owners. You may want to ask there as that cart may (I really don't know) have been a match to that turntable.
  17. T

Picked up a Sony tts-3000 w/SME 3009

PS-X9 listed for sale on Canuckaudiomart. Obtanium? Yes, but the price!!
  18. T

A box of used phono cartridges

Interesting old equipment and 3 million records. Fun times. A bit off topic: Illinoisteve, I like the sig: "Member of The Society for the Return and Preservation of Needlestein's Posts" How does one join-up?
  19. T

Problems with replacement pads for my Spin Clean

So the new pads are too thick? Have you considered pairing one new pad with one old pad? Several people have commented above that the pads are good for a long time so using the older pad on one side might work out fine for you and address the pad thickness problem.
  20. T

Ozone Generator for Vinyl odors; has anyone tried?

I have used an ozone generator to reduce if not eliminate moldy smells from record jackets. It has worked quite well (thanks to Vince1, wherever you are). Several in the plastic tote with the cover propped open (clothes-pins work well for this) as the smell is often inside the cover and not...
  21. T

Think I can save them?

Maybe a better question is: Can you build one good one using parts from both of those? From the photos, I expect the tonearms will be the big problem.
  22. T

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

It must be Christmas. There are 2 GT-2000 class turntables listed as available on HiFi-Do right now, 3 others either sold or on hold. Tempting...
  23. T

Audio Technica AT OC9 or f7/f2/f3 for original Rega Planar 2 w RB250?

Though not a direct comparison I do have and use the AT150MLX which has the same boron cantilever / microline stylus as the OC9 (can't recall if it uses OCC copper). In any event a very nice sounding cartridge and I do like the microline. Of course I am also happy with Denon DL103 (conical)...
  24. T

Audio Technica AT OC9 or f7/f2/f3 for original Rega Planar 2 w RB250?

Difference in price is likely the use of OCC copper in the OC9. I don't have either of these cartridges so can't comment on sound. If you have not already done so, go to Vinyl Engine and use their resonance calculator to determine how well either cartridge will work with the arm. Tonearm...
  25. T

Reliable DD Turntable

I am the happy owner of 5 Technics DD turntables, 4 used. The wonder is not that they are great turntables, but that most of them work great 40 years later. My one-owner SL-2000 (low-end of the MK1 DD turntables) does not keep consistent speed in spite of multiple treatments with Deoxit. That...
Back
Top Bottom