Search results

1. JohnMichael

What is the best speaker and amplifier you have ever heard?

Going back in time due to not many good audio stores in the area was a pair of Ed Meitner power amps driving Apogee ribbon speakers. The sound was incredible. I would love a chance to hear the Momentum Integrated Amplifier in comparison to my Krell S-300i.
  2. JohnMichael

Focal 807v's rethinking my amps again

I have the Focal 806v's and they are quite good driven by my Krell S-300i integrated amp. Yes there is bass and detail. You may find one at discount or on the used market. The Krell certainly grabs and controls the drivers. No phono preamp but many good budget models available.
  3. JohnMichael

Belles Aria or Krell S-3001

I have enjoyed my Krell S-300i for about 7 years. It drives any speaker I own. Not bright but detailed and good soundstaging. I have never tired of this integrated amp as I have lesser amps in the past. I bought this as my last int. amp and it will be. Currently driving Mobile Fidelity OML 1's...
  4. JohnMichael

What was your biggest surprise?

My biggest surprise has been removing a power strip with filtering, surge protection and on/off switches. After reading in Stereophile Art Dudley's tips for better sound I bought the Wiremold L10320 which is a 15 amp power strip. This strip has nothing but outlets for components. The idea is to...
  5. JohnMichael

Dr. Feickert Protractor

I use the MoFi Geodisc to align cartridges. You do have to visually align to the pivot point. The Dennesen Soundtractor also had the arm and the point you would place over the pivot point of the protractor to align the grid for offset angle and overhang. Once overhang is set I use this trick to...
  6. JohnMichael

ANY "WOOD BODY" GRADO USERS OUT THERE?

I am using the Grado Sonata Statement 1 LO cartridge in my modded 18 year old Planar 2 with RB250 arm. The phono preamp is the Moon 110LP which is set for MC gain and loading for MM cartridges. I have heard an improvement adding 100 pf of capacitance. The cartridge is my favorite and tracks very...
  7. JohnMichael

Trenner and Friedl

I read the review and I was intrigued. The price is above my budget but being made out of solid wood may have its benefits. Vandersteen VLR speakers and the coaxial speakers using SEAS drivers in the LOKI kit by Madisound might be similar in sound.
  8. JohnMichael

Looking for nice pair of bookshelf speakers $600 budget: Need Suggestions

JBL Studio 530's when available again.
  9. JohnMichael

Anyone know what speakers these are?

The woofer makes me think of ATC speakers but do not know the model.
  10. JohnMichael

Keep Cambridge audio or change everything

I once owned a Cambridge Audio Azur 640 integrated amp and I never thought it sounded very good. There always seemed to be a veil of electronic hash. I tried a power cord, grounded or not but I could never get it to sound as good as my old Rotel integrated amp and was easily bested by an Onkyo...
  11. JohnMichael

AR-18 opinions wanted

Oh yes and one of the regrets of audio is reselling mine.
  12. JohnMichael

I finally have a big boy turntable! Dual CS5000

Try the Grado with the low mass arm and the lowered counterweight it should work well. I would use a standard mount cartridge over a P mount in an adaptor. When those Dual tables were new they often included the OM series Ortofon cartridges. OM stands for Optimum Mass and will work well in your...
  13. JohnMichael

My house is haunted, it's going nuts tonight

History was never my best subject. So as far as pre or post I am not sure. I am not aware of any Civil War battles in Ohio. They are not dressed in a full uniform but all wearing the same type of clothing and caps. I never see them in the colder months but as it warms I will see them around dusk.
  14. JohnMichael

Rega Planar 2 - late 80's, early 90's?

I have a 17 year old Planar 2 with the motor upgrade and the TTPSU. If the Rega Planar 2 has a loose mounted motor and you can check by trying to move the pulley. If the pulley moves easily it is one of the original O ring mounted motors. The lower vibration 24V motor will really improve...
  15. JohnMichael

Where I live now in an area that used to be farmland is now a large apartment complex. Judging by what I see on some nights when the temperatures are just right I think there must have been many battles with the Native Americans. The soldiers look post Civil War in their uniforms and I am always...
  16. JohnMichael

Sounds more like a demon than a ghost. I had an experience where my body would become very heavy and I could feel my soul rising out of my body. I had to fight to awaken to stop the out of body experience. I was concerned by how it was happening that something wanted in my body. When I was...
  17. JohnMichael

What were you first speakers? - My system evolution.

Smaller Advents with a Kenwood white based belt drive ttable with Shure M91ED cart and a friends used JVC receiver.
  18. JohnMichael

JBL Studio 590's? Price drop.

I am enjoying the Studio 530's in my small space and find them incredible. The low crossover point really helps the drivers to work in their best range. Vocals are incredible as well as instrumental textures. They have the best imaging along with a wide soundstage. They have none of the annoying...
  19. JohnMichael

Favorite size prime on a crop body?

Canon 50D with Sigma 30mm f1.4.
  20. JohnMichael

JBL Studio 590 owners chime in...

I own the Studio 530's and am impressed with their performance in my smallish room. The imaging and detail are incredible along with the vocals covered by the mid/tweeter that covers everything from 1,500 Hz and up.
  21. JohnMichael

Raising small floor standers - ?

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RS 6's that were too low for my listening chair. They have leveling feet and I do not know if your speakers have that ability. I used the feet to angle the speakers to my listening height and they worked well. The front feet I left alone with the leveling function...
  22. JohnMichael

Songs with "Coffee" in the title

Yes Peggy Lee has performed the best song with Coffee in the titles. Great album overall.
  23. JohnMichael

Hello from Ohio!

Greetings from one Ohioan to another.
  24. JohnMichael

New thread with poll Tweeter preference?

My post is about my likes and dislikes of tweeters in the $1,000 and below price range. I am sure if I heard some top line and exotics my opinions might be different. Before I share my preferences I once heard an pair of Innersound electrostatics and they were incredible. The soft domes in my...
  25. JohnMichael

Sequerra - PLC Audio Model 7 / $25.00

Here is a link to the current model. I think you had a great bargain. They do some things incredibly well. http://www.sequerra.com/electronics/data/met7.html
Back
Top Bottom