Search results

1. markd51

C11 Face Plate relettering by Radiodaze

I too would love seeing how this turns out, and hopefully some grasp of the processes involved. Wondering how the graphics are made-applied? I know such that there are the gifted artists out there as an example, will faithfully restore valuable watches, and the dial faces. I had such done to...
  2. markd51

Shure M91ED cartridge height

Jico will likely be a safe bet. Be prepared to shell out some coin. Many options, either MM, or MC. Have to have the right chain. (Doo Dads as some might call them) As for chains, I've seen Mark Levinson CD Transports and DACs over $30K cost. Mang. LOL And I'll take me an old Krell or 2...
  3. markd51

Marantz WC-22 re-production - with a twist!

Once walked into Roselle Music Store in St. Charles Ill. And ordered a custom built Modulus Quantum 4 Bass Guitar. Sure it was a bit pricey as could be expected. Was a highly figured Swap Ash Body, absolute killer Lambswool Quilt Maple Top with the Headstock also laminated and finished as the...
  4. markd51

Marantz WC-22 re-production - with a twist!

I see it's a 2238B. I have a really nice one too. The Cabinetry is beautifully done, I like it! excellent work. And I'll bet it's even more impressive in person. I would say, this sort of Case is not of the kind that you then slip into some tight Rack, where the full beauty cannot be seen and...
  5. markd51

Shure M91ED cartridge height

Hard to say what's best as far as VTF? Probably ideally the Cartridge will work fine all around midway between its suggested range of VTF which IMO is quite light, but yes, I am familiar with Shure and their light tracking weights. One cannot correctly just say, "Oh, I'll set it to .8g and...
  6. markd51

Haze behind the glass. What's the fix?

I had similar fogging-hazing occur to my MX-130's Tuner Display. Appeared to be common with this Unit. Was a bit of a bugger operating and removing this film without making matters worse, but I got it.
  7. markd51

Cleaning the faceplate on a McIntosh 4100

Speaking of Foam Tape to lessen light bleed, I spoke to a tech briefly first about the personally disliked odd lighting on my 4100, seemingly weak on the majority of the dial, over-illuminated at 108FM, and the rest not looking good. Almost like the left lamp was either burnt, or quite weak...
  8. markd51

I was afraid to post an ebay listing for a so called "Mint 4100", price is slightly north of $2K. I didn't read the description for any further details, any services done, and just as well, I wanted to keep this post in general terms in regards to the 4100 Receiver. I looked at the pics in...
  9. markd51

With things like my Telescopes as an example, they would always be cased up and capped up outside before bringing them back in from a night of viewing. And not to open the case till the next day for cleaning-whatnot when the scope was back at room temps. Like a cold Beverage on a hot day...
  10. markd51

I think it odd-strange too, since the 4100's Dial Glass is essentially sealed on all sides, so how did the inside get this way? As you mention, the seller sees it and evidently is on the inside, not the outside. This pitting or whatever is on the inside of the glass should be able to be removed...
  11. markd51

Low level listening Marantz 2285b

Again, I mentioned an external EQ. Such could be considered a "Loudness Control" to add some beef at lower listening levels. Of course with the added BS of forever tweaking controls till the cows come home for any particular listening session, whether at doctor office levels, or wake the...
  12. markd51

I can certainly understand sympathize, as I'm extremely OCD too with audio gear. Sure, a museum quality anything adds to it's desirability and usually cost. Some cosmetic issues can be rectified-corrected, some cannot. My own 4100 had a couple minor cosmetic issues from keeping it from being...
  13. markd51

Yeah, I looked at that the other day, AC has an S1 graded 4100, the asking price is 3 big ones. Does that include tax and shipping? I doubt it. I'm sorry if I earlier raised an alarm over this matter. Some people might use a product like simple green because it's handy, and also for its...
  14. markd51

Oh well. Do you recall any screws and brackets having to be removed? Or did you find the glass was held by double face tape? Cohiba Joe might know?
  15. markd51

I got a reply from the member I mention, but he still didn't mention how to remove the dial glass. LOL As for cleaning the inside of the glass where all the letters-numerals are applied, I might resort to Distilled Water and Cotton Balls, and carefully test. In any instance, no vigorous...
  16. markd51

While like I say, good caps-bad caps, and assume these too can be tested. I know I was once told that the main Power supply caps are not in the audio chain. Not sure though if such is not exactly to spec how this may then influence the low volume dislike the OP has spoken about?
  17. markd51

This other member who accidently damaged his dial glass can perhaps possibly explain what it entailed to remove the dial glass? It almost looks like it's held in with double face tape, but I am not sure? I'll try to locate this older thread here, and ask via PM if he'll contribute and advise...
  18. markd51

Can you possibly provide pictures? I think it unusual-rare that there would be smearing on the inside of the Dial Glass because if you remove the silver face plate (which is easy) the Dial Glass remains attached to the unit. So not sure how such could occur unless this dial glass was removed...
  19. markd51

Going back to your original post, and you mention a degree of overhaul-tune up done inside. I might in my ignorant way say, "There are good caps, and there are bad caps". Besides a host of many other parts that are far from spec. In layman's terms it's safe to say that such can hamper any...
  20. markd51

I'll add that an EQ might not offer joy. Maybe nothing will. Could be the mating of a particular Receiver-Speaker set-up, , could be other things? You say in your original post, and when the volume dial is cranked "Amazing Really". Amazing in my book hopefully equates to very good fidelity...
  21. markd51

Shapton Whetstones. You would have to spend a lot of money to get anything better.

About all you would need to know, is how to clean the sticks once they become loaded. That's easily done with Comet Kitchen Cleanser, or Barkeeper's Friend and a green Scotchbrite Pad.
  22. markd51

Perhaps only my opinion, but I know I've heard some others also say this, that the Tone Controls on Marantz were not that great. I had noted that it seemed the more you fiddled with the tone controls on them, the worse the sound became, muddied, just not good at all. With that said, perhaps an...
  23. markd51

Before and After Dust Cover Cleaning

7"?! LOL This isn't a 65 Caddy you're working on.
  24. markd51

With Dustcovers, your biggest enemy is heat. Or rubbing like a fool on specific deeper scratches, and you just created the Grand Canyon.
  25. markd51

One can go finer into the grit size for papers. Such will help, to a point. Help polish-knock down damage that coarser grit papers caused. After that, then things can take a rogue trip down "polish-land" because you don't have a DA Polisher with the right Pads and Polishing Products...
Back
Top Bottom