Search results

1. MORTIS

McIntosh + Roon tested hardware - awesome!

Saw the email today. This may not be good news for me. I purchased a new MA5300 beginning of February, the amp actually built at the end of January. Ah yes, that new electronics smell. Anyway, I had a D100 before and was using JRiver 22 to play my files and it worked perfectly. Now with the same...
  2. MORTIS

MA5200 or MA6500???

I've recently been heavily researching both the MA5200 and MA5300. The MA6500 had an excellent reputation but I personally no longer want an old McIntosh, particularly any model prior to the LED fiber optic lighting. I have a serious dislike for ordering bulbs and changing them every few years...
  3. MORTIS

Searching McIntosh by Serial Number

A couple years ago I emailed chuck H. with the serial number to my MA7000 asking when it was built or when it left the factory, and he got back to me with the year and month. He didn't however mention whether that was build date or when it left the factory. Either way I was satisfied.
  4. MORTIS

Preamp question

That everyone's ideal, but when a particular recording needs a little help, it's always handy to have that tone/EQ option.
  5. MORTIS

Preamp question

Among those preamps listed, I've owned only the C712. It's the newest of the bunch and still unlikely to need any restoration. I found it to be an excellent slimline preamp, and I suspect the only one on your list with a remote. Another bonus of the C712 is the bulbs are very easy for anyone to...
  6. MORTIS

A very Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you too Mike, and to all here on AK.
  7. MORTIS

MA5300 Run with No Load/Speakers

Thanks Kev. You guys are tops!
  8. MORTIS

So do you mean that's further confirmation that SS amps are fine running with no load? I wondered about that but also wondered if something about the design of the MHA allowed for operation with no load. I didn't want to assume it applied to all SS amps.
  9. MORTIS

I actually seriously considered the MHA150, and yeah it has a sub output, but then for a number of reason I decided on the MA5300; well until recently when I discovered the 5300 has no 2nd set of pre-outs. I decided against the MHA150 because it has only a bass boost option, not the usual bass...
  10. MORTIS

Thanks Tony, I trust your knowledge. Now I just need to find a quality 'Y' splitter.
  11. MORTIS

Thanks c_dk, that's very helpful. Do you also agree with UncleBingo that the amp will be fine if run with no load?
  12. MORTIS

c_dk: thank you. Do you think the signal quality could be compromised at all from splitting the pre-output to amp and sub? By the way, the MA5300 preamp output voltage, according to the manual, is 1.4V unbalanced (8V Maximun). My MA7000 preamp output voltage is 2.5V unbalanced (8V Maximun). I...
  13. MORTIS

Definitely would not plug/unplug anything from the outputs/inputs while amp is powered. I've already used the sub with the MA7000 which has a 2nd set of preamp outputs. It worked great, but using a 'Y' splitter on the 5300 I'm thinking it could affect output impedance and voltage to amp and sub.
  14. MORTIS

UncleBingo: Thank you. I'm sure the 'Y' splitter will provide signal to both the power amp section of the MA5300 and to the sub, however I'm concerned whether either will receive adequate voltage in order to achieve their maximum performance. I appreciate any other advise or opinions from any...
  15. MORTIS

I suspect I've not made it clear that I'm hoping to get feedback on my 2 concerns. Thank you.
  16. MORTIS

I'm planning on getting an MA5300 for a 2nd smaller system. For an indefinite period of time I will be using it as a headphone amp with no speakers. The MA5300 is a direct coupled amp, so I'm wondering if it will be safe for it to run with no load. Also, when I do eventually hook up some...
  17. MORTIS

David Shoaf

I too always enjoyed David's posts. Rest in peace, kind sir.
  18. MORTIS

VERY INTERESTING! McIntosh Celebrates 70th Anniversary

Why are several people here saying these don't look like McIntosh design, without mentioning which unit? I agree that the amp is an extreme departure from traditional Mc but the C70 is classic Mc in many ways. I like it much more than the current single chassis tube pres.
  19. MORTIS

Review: McIntosh MA9000

I'm personally not concerned about including a DAC in a preamp or integrated, even if the DAC is not up-gradable, whereas they are in the current Mc lineup. Seems to me that DACs have come so far over the decades, and now most sound excellent. Sure there will be changes or slight improvements...
  20. MORTIS

Upgrading to McIntosh Amp for HiFi - Recommendations? Thanks!

When you say you don't need an integrated amplifier, do you mean a receiver? The name 'integrated' generally refers to a combination of a power amp and preamplifier in the same chassis, no tuner. If you are asking about a McIntosh 'power amp', you will need a preamplifier, unless you plan to use...
  21. MORTIS

McIntosh Reference Threads

Seems well worth considering. I've never liked having to scroll down a full page each time I visit or refresh this forum page in order to see the regular threads.
  22. MORTIS

Who's using a Mac digital preamp (D100/D150)?

I've been using a D100 since 2013 and it has worked flawlessly. I'm very happy with it, but I'm using it only as a DAC. I've read mixed reviews about it being used as a preamp, and I've never tried it as such. It's only my impression from what I've read but I suspect the D100 is a much better...
  23. MORTIS

Have I arrived?

Yeah I'd say you've arrived. Sure it's always fun to find a tweak or an addition that would make a noticeable improvement somewhere, but yeah, you're fine. I'm somewhat similar in that I don't hanker (much) for something new or a swapped component. Sometimes I think I might enjoy a new flavour...
  24. MORTIS

My new MC 452

Yes, bless their little enabling hearts. I mean, gawd knows what sort of mediocre systems we'd be listening to if it weren't for the experience and knowledge of the helpful folks on this site :thumbsup:
  25. MORTIS

My new MC 452

^ I know, no one is being critical. They're all fine folks here on AK; they're just enablers :D
Back
Top Bottom