Search results

1. McinBozak

ELI5: Are all loudness taps on vol. pots the same...?

Alps can build you a new one. They were doing it a few years ago. The basic purpose of the compensation circuit is to boost bass response at low volume. Some are way too much others too little. It's all in the engineer who designed the circuit. Hope that helps some.
  2. McinBozak

Cerwin Vega AT15' 1992

Thanks for the info. I will see if someone I know can re-edge them.
  3. McinBozak

Cerwin Vega AT15' 1992

I am sure this has been hashed and rehashed but I do need some advice here. I purchased these new in 1992 or so . They are incredible speakers. The foam edging is starting to rot and I contacted a well respected company in Dallas and explained this and they do not do new surrounds (orange edge)...
  4. McinBozak

Unusual Console stereo's. Feeling blessed. Have you ever seen one of these?

I wonder if it is a one off unit as I have never seen a Magnatone stereo component non guitar related that is ever. It sounded very good but not like the Ampex but since its restoration it is killer on par with the Ampex. Oddly it has separate Bass and Treble controls for each channel and a 3...
  5. McinBozak

Unusual Console stereo's. Feeling blessed. Have you ever seen one of these?

I felt really blessed to find three Ampex consoles each falling within a year of one another. But the latest find is so unusual and was sold as restored. Clearly it was not. Output tubes going into saturation I paid waaay too much for it but the cabinet is really beautiful unusual styling from...
  6. McinBozak

Pilot 1078 to gut or not to gut!

I am still getting to it although it sure sounds a lot better now. It actually sounds almost as good as the Ampex. I will recheck tubes again. How hot are those transformers supposed to get. Seems after a few hours they are pretty hot. Mc Mc 275's got warm but never hott!
  7. McinBozak

Thanks to all whom responded. I got er recapped Every cap in it was pretty shot. I can tell you from experience now that it is a horrible job getting the components out and back in. The unit sounds much better output tubes were toast. most others tested nearly new. It has a great sound til the...
  8. McinBozak

I picked up a Pilot 1078 which has Stereo speakers in the main cabinet they appear to have Jensen 12's or 15's and are a 3-way speaker system with Vistaphonic?? What ever that is. It came with matching speakers and I know nothing about Pilot but it is Curtain of Sound?? Again unsure what that...
  9. McinBozak

Garrard RC 98/4 Help

Thanks for the reply. This one is in excellent cosmetic condition but it was pretty gummy. I had to use penetrating oil a few times in the center shaft to free up the 45 drop and it drops records fine now. Speed control works good too. I tracks ok with a Shure M3D @ 3 gms. The only issue is the...
  10. McinBozak

Garrard RC 98/4 Help

I am needing some help as my RC 98 will not do manual play in Manual mode. The indexing wand goes across in search of a disc and shuts off. When in man mode it is supposed to stay over the tone arm so you place the arm onto the record yourself. I see the catch underneath which if manually moved...
  11. McinBozak

Weekend Find,

Hi, I realize this is an older post. But interestingly I just picked up the same Model a little updated receiver and table but no speakers. Mine was still in a sealed (factory) box and unit will need recapping and am anxious to get it going the belt had turned to goo. as all factory shipping...
  12. McinBozak

Ampex console cull and cabinet-ed component reconstruction complete

Really sorry to see it end up like that. Too many of the rare consoles to begin with and another one bites the dust. Sad, usually it is someone parting to sell the guts out of. I acquired my Ampex console 1960 model cabinet is pretty nice although I have the lowly 6973 mono blocs and I could...
  13. McinBozak

Searchin' for info on a Ampex console with Tube Monoblocs

Well I got the amps back in and two of the original 6973's are still going strong I ordered a pair of EH 6973's and both are bad. Wont buy those again. So it is glorious mono til the NOS RCA's come in from EBay purchase. It sounds fantastic even with only half working. Cannot find much of...
  14. McinBozak

I did find a date stamped in the wood in red ink Nov 19 1959 I guess it is safe to assume it is a 1960 Model? I have been cleaning the cabinet inside and out the front panel has cleaned up beautifully as I will take more after pix as soon as I get it buttoned up. I was curious about the speakers...
  15. McinBozak

Recently acquired a really nice Ampex sound system and am trying to date it to no avail. Model 4608. It does have a Garrard RC88/4 with a Shure M3D stereo cartridge. It I was told has the Early JBL bullet tweeters. Does anyone know what these are. This one is going to stay together. I see many...
  16. McinBozak

1965 Fisher Hybrid Cosole

I picked up a console about six months ago and the price was right but it had some serious problems in the amplifier Most of the caps were blown apart. It would snap crackle and pop. After the rebuild it is very sweet. Most of the caps are German and disc type and of course they all checked...
  17. McinBozak

Garrard RC 121/4D

I bought the cutest all wood record player called a Bel Canto with a rather large tube amp and a Garrard changer. It did not come with a stacker spindle for 45's and I ordered one a L.R.S 4 in white. It doesn't fit when you lower it the last inch it pushes the white shelves in and brings the...
  18. McinBozak

Magnavox Concert Grand 1959 Saved from oblivion!

Splain Console bashers. What do you mean. I have Mc equipment and consoles by nature cannot compare to the thunderous Bozak Concert Grands there would be no way a record changer or Turntable could be in the same cabinet with that kind of vibrations going on. The TOTL Zeniths like the Y960...
  19. McinBozak

Speaker ID please

Coral speakers Well they actually look impressive but pure junk. I don't think I have the nerve to take my camera over there to snap a picture and I might have to endure them again I would rather not. I imagine you could google coral speakers and view images but I woudn't waste my time on it...
  20. McinBozak

Speaker ID please

Looks like junk to me Can we say shittay. There are some other speakers that a friend of mine really likes and he bought a set. They have got to be one of the worst I have ever heard. They are called Coral. They have 13 drivers per cabinet and I think he paid way too much for them. He was a...
  21. McinBozak

Thanks. I am going to start recapping it on Thursday. It actually sounds pretty good now but I have a few outputs going into saturation and it is very hard on tubes burns em up pretty quick. So I can hardly wait but it pulls 660 watts so I will have to enjoy it sporadically.
  22. McinBozak

Phantom Remote Control The module mounted behind the tuner has a 5Y3 and a transformer is where is Power amps plug into for power as well as the pre-tuner. The larger chassis below that houses the remote control wireless called the phantom. Which I will probably find by the time I am 80. The...
  23. McinBozak

Well first a 295 FP Bi-amp appears then a few weeks later a friend gives me an Imperial from 1959 that his parents bought new. Today I scored a 1959 Magnavox Concert Grand. Only had to drive about 4 miles. The cabinet is in way better than average shape. The unit is clean inside no rust or crud...
Back
Top Bottom