Search results

1. jcox

Sad - super HIGH Prices

I'm with you OP. Skyrocketing prices bug me. Limits the accessibility of the hobby. We like to appreciate this gear, and encourage others to appreciate it, but its harder at higher prices. Sure, my collection is worth much more than it was 2 short years ago, but thats small consolation since I...
  2. jcox

Kenwood KX-1030 cassette; left channel fades after 10 minutes

PS- I also replaced those four caps on my other KX1030 with the dead channel and no help. So it's something else on that one. :(
  3. jcox

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Replaced all 4 caps tonight, and sounds great! Almost an hour of play time and no static! Previously it was about 15 minutes of play time until static took over. Now crystal clear the whole time. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. :music:
  4. jcox

Thanks! Found and ordered, arrive today. Will attempt this weekend and post back results.
  5. Kennylogo

Kennylogo

6. IMG_20191005_204750 (1)

IMG_20191005_204750 (1)

7. jcox

Thanks!! I was actually on that thread, for another KX-1030 I have. I didnt pay attention to your comment on the static and the 4 caps at the time because it has a completely dead channel. No static. But I'm hopeful its the same problem caps, but further along, and just dead vs creating static...
  8. jcox

I have a Kenwood KX-1030 that plays perfectly... when its cold (first powered on). Then after about 10 minutes of playing a tape, it starts introducing noise in the left channel. Some crackles of static during playback. Then it gets worse over the next 5 minutes, noise/static takes over and the...
  9. jcox

Help changing bulbs in a KR-5600

Titan Pinball is a great source for colored LEDs https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=63 These will work, try to remove the plastic base or trim off the wedge part. Frosted dome disperses light nicely. Of course you can find similar bulbs on Amazon or...
  10. jcox

Looking for vintage advertisement for Kenwood Super Eleven

No I didnt know there was one, I'll look for it (ads thread sticky). Wow that website is a great resource, thanks! Very cool to look thru that stuff.
  11. jcox

Looking for vintage advertisement for Kenwood Super Eleven

Anyone have anything? I've searched online and cant find a single Super Eleven ad. Lots of vintage kenwood ads, but none for that unit. Thanks!!
  12. jcox

Found some! Wedge base LEDs, color of choice, 8-12V rated, separate the plastic base, feed wires thru the rubber bulb seat. Solder. Easy! Enjoy!
  13. jcox

I've done lots of those. They are 8V, the amps dont really matter (250 vs 300 etc) if you're going to LED which I recommend. Also agree doing all at once. eBay is a great place to get cheap LEDs in color of your choice. The 5600 has a blue filter on the tuner dial (where these bulbs are) and...
  14. jcox

KX-1030 Cassette Deck

Great stuff, thanks Mike. I dont know what the ferrite inductors look like so a pic would be great if you're able to easily. The meter is flat on the dead channel, so I dont think signal is getting to the RCA jacks; problem has to be before the meter. I tried reading the schematic, seems like...
  15. jcox

KX-1030 Cassette Deck

I have two of these decks (1030). One of them has a dead channel - no output. It drops out somewhere on the board. Best I can tell, signal generation at the head is good. I've read that dirty switches can cause a weaker channel so I de-oxit cleaned the Dolby, monitor and output switches. No...
  16. jcox

New to vintage audio. Looking for some tips.

OOPS. Spoke too soon... So I timed my 780 relay last night and it takes FIVE seconds, not 2. I remember it being a bit quicker I thought. Its my "secondary" system so doesnt get used often right now; I wonder if its a bit slower after it doesnt get used? [Someone here will probably laugh at that...
  17. jcox

New to vintage audio. Looking for some tips.

I have a 780 and love it! Its a great mid-level unit. Utter crap? Hellz naw! Damn solid, with great performance and looks to match. They are a very common unit, because they are loved and they last. And for $40 a complete steal (assuming the cosmetics are decent). Easily worth $100-150 as is...
  18. jcox

Diagnosing dead channel on Kenwood KX-1030

Tapping the head (with power on and Play activated but no tape) sends a thump to the speakers and the output meter bounces. Nothing too loud or damaging; kinda like tapping your palm on a mic to test if its working ("this thing on??"). Left channel thumps, right is dead. Then I tap the signal...
  19. jcox

I had the clutch rebuilt by AK member MarktheFixer. Works perfectly! The volts at the RCA output jacks is 3 mv dc. Same on both sides. I also get the same reading where the head leads enter the board, both channels. Do I need to dismount the head to test continuity? Assuming from the top of...
  20. jcox

Thanks for your reply! I will test the RCA jacks again, I dont recall the voltage i was seeing. All my volt tests were DC to chassis ground. Wish I had an O scope! Yes, its a nice deck, and in great shape (if I can get the right channel to play). I also have a CT-F9191, since you know Pioneer decks.
  21. jcox

Help! I've reached the limit of my electronic repair knowledge (it wasnt a long trip!). The right channel is dead. Otherwise deck works great. Turn it on and both VU meters bounce just a bit as it powers up, so it seems like its ready to work. Play a tape and left speaker sounds good, but there...
  22. jcox

Cheap Repair for Alps DPDT 6 pin Power Switches

I think you might be in luck, and able to use the ebay alps switch. Its very versatile. First, it is a 2-position switch. The bottom of the switch body (not visible in the pix; its inside the assembly) is a Vee, so there is no middle position. And the lever arm is angled, so Off is down, and On...
  23. jcox

Time to upgrade to SX-1250?

I have definitely found this hobby is much more about emotion than justification! Enjoy!!
  24. jcox

Anyone happen to be parting out a 3070 turntable?

Got one!! They replied quickly, had the nameplate, and created a sale listing for me to buy it. Done! Thanks again for the great tip, and thanks to Organ Donor Parts for the great parts selection and great customer service.
  25. jcox

Anyone happen to be parting out a 3070 turntable?

Great thought! Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen their ad banners but never visited the site and didnt know what it was. Appreciate the heads up; great site and great inventory. I've sent them an email to inquire.
Back
Top Bottom