Search results

1. M

Help Me Decide: Schiit Bifrost or Peachtree DAC iTx

Another vote for the uber-analog Bifrost. I had both for a while, I used the original Bifrost in my computer system and the Peachtree in the Family Room system for 2-ch listening. I liked the DAC-iT. It was a good fit with my Rockets (which are a little laid back) in the Family Room, more...
  2. M

Big Head Todd and The Monsters

They're at Red Rocks this coming week end. Todd Park Mohr sometimes hangs out in Chicago and plays acoustic blues with Lonnie Brooks' son Ronnie Baker Brooks. Saw the two of them last year on a summer evening in a park (tickets were $5 IIRC,) and it was like getting a blues history lesson. One...
  3. M

DIY Health

+1 You're in our thoughts and prayers.
  4. M

Amp suggestions for Totem Model 1 please

I'd second Art K's recommendation for an NAD. Try Craigslist. NAD's BEE amps are the best; but if they are out of your budget, any NAD amp you can find will be better. Most all of them will drive your Totems and will help warm them up also. Also if you may find an older Denon in the 65 -90 wpc...
  5. M

Running my computer through my stereo?

If you can't tell the difference and are happy with the sound, then don't let any "audiophile experts" coerce you into spending more money. The joy should be and IS in the music not in the gear.
  6. M

Apple ditches analog line-out from Sept 2012

I don't understand all of the angst over the lack of audiophile digital out from the iphone. Does anyone really think it is a viable audiophile device? Storage is way too small anyway. If you're really serious about small-form audiophile quality, you've got a 160 gig ipod Classic with the RWA...
  7. M

HELP With Choosing A DAC

I agree DACs are exploding on the scene. I'd add the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 to the list. A lot depends on if you need high rez files and USB connection. Many of last year's models do not do 24bit/96khz files over USB, and most of the newer budget ones still won't do 24/192 over USB, without a...
  8. M

Favorite Lines from songs

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try real hard, you can get what you need." "Two out of three ain't bad."
  9. M

Klipsch kg4 vs Polk monitor 10

A lot depends on your personal taste. Assuming they are both equally in good shape, Klipschs and Polks sound different. You may find the Klipsch too bright or the Polk too laid back. Only YOUR ears can tell you. Personally I find the kg series to be less harsh than some others.
  10. M

What center for vintage front speakers?

+1 for picking one set to mach. Switching speakers will make it difficult to match the timbre. I wouldn't worry about wood vs MDF or veneer vs vinyl. Try to match the tweeters as best as you can if space considerations rule out an exact speaker match.
  11. M

help me find a deal on a new home sound system I sold my bose and want something else

You've got a good basic set up now. If your computer has HDMI out then you can hook it up to the Denon and you're good to go. If not then, depending on your connections it may get more complicated. I'd go for the matching center channel next. BIC subwoofers are generally considered not bad for...
  12. M

Tube out or not? Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2

$250 is the low end for DACs. In that range, the non-tube Emotiva XDA-1 (now discontinued, but available used for under $200) and Grant Fidelity DAC-11 generally also get good reviews. DACs can get pricey and the general consensus is more money gets you better performance, with the law of...
  13. M

Best Blu-Ray/universal player under $200

I've had two Pannys and never had any problem with either. Even the analog outs are not bad.
  14. M

Triumph Spitfire Buyer's Advice Needed

I owed a '74 Spit. Good advice about the tranny. IIRC they had a small reservoir of brake fluid I think, to lube the shift linkage or syncros. Trannys are expensive to have fixed. Sorry to say that the "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" quote is not overhyped. Nevertheless, I owned it for two years...
  15. M

First Post - New Speakers, Opinions and Suggestions?

Depending on your listening taste you might find the Yamaha's to be a little too bright with your JBLs (or you may find them revealing.) Denon or NAD might be a better choice (or you may find Denon too laid back.) If you don't want or need HDMI connections you can score really good deals on...
  16. M

MOG Observation

I use the mobile app to stream in my car thru my iphone. Very cool. Streaming thru my phone seems faster than at home.
Back
Top Bottom