Search results

1. K

Apt Holman preamp restoration

Nice work! I always LOVED that preamp's looks! :-) About to process a huge recap operation on a Yamaha CX-1 that has been unused in storage ever since it was built. The sound is rather thin and edgy and I guess the caps never had a chance to properly form. I'm following the great "Yamaha CX-1...
  2. K

SAE 3022 Integrated/2200 amp.

I once owned that amp. The preamp section was dead and I was only using the power amp. lovely beast! I sold it a couple years ago for a very decent amount.
  3. K

Yamaha CX-1 Thread

I've swapped op-amps in my Revox B226 CD player and in two different active crossovers. I really like LM4562 but you have to play around with local decoupling until it sounds good. It can sound really wrong with the wrong decoupling... plus it sounds sharp and thin for a good 100 hours before...
  4. K

Yamaha CX-1 Thread

I also have an "issue" in the low bass it seems. I bought two very high quality Viablue Y adapters, to be able to connect my active subwoofer on the single stereo output (my usual preamp has two outputs + a subwoofer output...) Well I'm disappointed. Low bass seems weak. Normally I have to set...
  5. K

Yamaha CX-1 Thread

I just got my hands on a mint CX-1 spent most of its life in original box, maybe never used, the remote is still wrapped! Sounds great but sometimes a bit gritty / cold compared to my usual preamp; I suppose capacitors are not in top shape if having stayed unused for years or decades... I've...
  6. K

What High End PreAmp do you have?

SAE Mark 1B I'm using vintage... SAE Mark 1B, I was not crazy about the sound when I bought it, but after bringing it to a tech for a complete recap, it now sounds WONDERFUL. Also have a rare KM SP-100, also beautifully built and a great preamp, but the SAE just sounds much more like...
  7. K

Klipsch klf 20 vs klf 30 ??

I remember the reviews in french magazine Le Revue du Son back then. They said the KLF30 was the most balanced of the two. they found the KLF20 to have a rather proeminent midrange when used in free space and actually designed their own attenuation network to add in line with the speaker when...
  8. K

Why does my SAE 2200 power amp sound so bad?

Maybe it's just a sonic incompatibility issue. A while ago, I bought an SAE Mark 1B preamp to drive my Technics SE-A5 power amp. Bringing it home i was very disappointed to find the sound thin, rough, and metallic. So i waited for a while and finally had the preamp completely recapped and...
  9. K

SAE Mark 1B sound, and restoration?

Well, it's not so much that the treble is forward... it's more like it's "dirty" and certaily doesn't sound like high quality audio. It has other very fine qualities but I'm sure the sound I get isn't what it's supposed to be. I'd like to have it perform 100% like it should... I think no matter...
  10. K

Thanks for the input. So let's imagine i want to collect the new caps myself - do I just open the preamp, check the boards, write everything down and try to find similar / better (when available) caps? I read somewhere that SAE was using top notch caps so I guess I have to be very careful...
  11. K

Hello, First I'd like to introduce myself as i'm new here: my name is François and I live in Belgium. I'm 34 and interested in everything audio since the age of 16. My system is a mix of vintage and less vintage pieces, everything bought second=hand. Last week I purchased a nice SAE Mark...
  12. K

Power Amp to Preamp interconnects... what's the real deal?

I believe it makes as much difference as between source and preamp. I would stick with the same brand and model if there's no correction to be made...
Back
Top Bottom