Search results

1. estreeter

Schiit Yggdrasil is upon us !

And I have the BDP-105D (along with my Burr-Brown equipped Marantz), but the SABRE seems to embody everything bad about sigma-delta DACs. If the benefits the self-appointed cognoscenti around the R2R ladder architecture claim is achievable from that architecture, listening to music 24/7 would...
  2. estreeter

Other than online reviews and a brief mention in various show reports, I've seen very little on the Schiit lineup beyond the same tired observation about their 'wicked sense of humor'. Stereophile reviewed Bifrost and - AFAIK - that's it. Whether the Schiit distributors elect to start loaning...
  3. estreeter

Nope - Mike and Jason have both stated in numerous posts on HF that if someone wants to review one of their products, they can buy it. They're not the only ones in the industry with a healthy degree of skepticism toward the magazines.
  4. estreeter

I'm not interested in another tired DSD vs PCM debate - all I'm interested in is whether this DAC will be reviewed by someone with Chris Connaker's frame of reference: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/599-berkeley-audio-design-alpha-dac-reference-series-review/ I'm not disparaging the...
  5. estreeter

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil The hype train has finally pulled into the station - 60 units followed by another ~140 to come. if you live in the CONUS, this is a no-brainer.
  6. estreeter

Whiplash

Late to the party, but not being a jazz fan - Jeff Beck's sensational guitar licks excepted - I wasnt really into the music. I could see where Teller and Simmons got the rave reviews and I understand that Teller can actually play the drums, but even Neil Peart's drum solos dont do a lot for me...
  7. estreeter

DAC 2 HGC-System Changes

Listening to a YT vid via the Marantz as I type this and - at the risk of upsetting some here - this is everything I came to this hobby looking for. Better sound - not the 'ultimate audiophile experience', whatever that is. I've just finished a huge gear sell-off and I feel purged, regardless of...
  8. estreeter

DAC 2 HGC-System Changes

I hear ya on the Marantz - the Reference series have a footprint akin to a Mac truck. My SA-14S1 completely dominates the desk it sits on and it weighs a freakin' ton - never again will I go down that road.
  9. estreeter

The Judge has ruled...can we please stop the hand-wringing and inaccurate comments?

In Australia their stuff was rebranded as 'Tandy' and RadioShack was just another brand among many in a Tandy store. All gone now - either closed or rebranded as DSE, another chain which lost a great deal of its roots in hobbyist electronics supplies and kits in favor of the usual disposable...
  10. estreeter

Can someone explain using DAC w/Ipad?

For the lightning-equipped iPads, like my Mini, its hard to go past the USB adapter - as long as my Hugo is adequately charged I can hook it to the iPad and enjoy hours of aural bliss. I can also do wireless with the same combo but its not as good - the cable isnt cheap but its the bomb AFAIC.
  11. estreeter

If there was one show I could have seen ...

Toby Scott remaster incoming, but what I really want is a time machine. Seeing that show at 19 then going home to listen to the Darkness vinyl release - not sure how my life could have been better, even given the pasting Cleveland seems to cop from many in the States. :thmbsp:
  12. estreeter

Smoke-free, pet-free and child-free audio ..

I should have posted this in the Modern Day Hi-Fi forum, not here - only an idiot would assume that gear from the 60s and 70s hadnt been exposed to smoke but that isnt the generation that I'm dealing with when I try to sell gear on Head-Fi. I've been subjected to every lowball attempt...
  13. estreeter

how many here would buy headphones from a heavy smoker ? shades of tom waits harmonica circa 1980 ....
  14. estreeter

I was referring to the responses when you want to sell gear via an online ad and I dont think its a case of being offended if someone asks whether your gear was maintained in a smoke-free environment and you answered no. They're not exactly asking if you've ever taken a crap in a National Park...
  15. estreeter

The farting is one thing but I just cant condone rap, unless it's a black metal band (!) with a 'rap attitude" ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxPB8xfM6c Ice-T might be a rebel with a mansion in the Hollywood Hills, but that guitarist could get a gig with any of the metal bands on my hard...
  16. estreeter

They're a lot of fun to deal with, esp when its accompanied by what is obviously paranoia that you're really just trying to rip them off. I had to tell one such time waster that he'd be better off with someone else's gear - basically anyone else :D
  17. estreeter

Hi All, We're all old enough here to make our own choices, but I'm surprised by the number of people who are happy to post photos of cats on amps or cigars next to expensive gear. Try selling that same gear to someone who expects their pre-loved gear to be kept in immaculate condition by...
  18. estreeter

Time to rip my CD's to a harddrive.

If all I wanted was MP3s I wouldnt even bother ripping CDs - just download entire albums from Youtube and extract the audio - but I thought that was the whole point of ripping the physical media : to get a lossless copy of your music ? I encode everything in AIFF - lossless, tagged and playable...
  19. estreeter

18 Headphone Brands Ranked from Worst to First

Given that a TAS reviewer rates the HD800 as 'the best imaging transducer in the world, regardless of price. Period.', I'd say they can get pretty darned good. I've never heard exotica like the Abyss or any of the Stax flagships but the people prepared to shell out that kind of money for...
  20. estreeter

18 Headphone Brands Ranked from Worst to First

I think this list was put together by the same people who rated 'Achy, Breaky Heart' the best song of the 90s .... Seriously, its a popularity rating - how many of us who own genuine TOTL headphones could give a hoot about a list like this ? I will leave you with this tidbit though - anyone...
  21. estreeter

Vintage vinyl girls.

Even in Oz, where they'll pay for pretty much any old toss, they stopped airing Springer somewhere around 2009. It just became so obviously fake that a 10-year old could have written the script anytime some bozo was supposed to 'surprise' his girlfriend on air or similarly contrived stunt. I...
  22. estreeter

No love for current Marantz range on AK ?

Dont look at the prices on those units on any of the Australian Marantz dealers sites - you'll have a heart attack. I was very lucky to get the SA-14S1 for roughly the same price as the US sticker converted to baht at the time - the greenback has since decimated currencies like the Aussie...
  23. estreeter

May be just me but.....

All good from Thailand, and we have a firewall that stops us seeing anything deemed objectionable by the powers that be. Still, life under a military dictatorship could be a lot worse.
  24. estreeter

Disturbing bad news today...

Anyone remember when you couldnt give a 'gas guzzler' away following the first oil crisis in the 70s ? I'm sorry but the US doesnt have a terrifically good history in terms of preserving it's history, and this seems like yet another example. It's hard to believe that cars like this ever went...
  25. estreeter

Balanced amps?

It's weird - or not - but for years I read all the guff from people who told me a balanced rig was the only way to fly (with the exception of one or two reviewers who feel that it sacrifices imaging for a wider soundstage) but when I finally got all my ducks in a row I wasnt blown away by the...
Back
Top Bottom