Search results

1. Pieface

My modest vintage setup

+1. i think Boston did a good job with this series. The Technics stuff is nice :D
  2. Pieface

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

I picked up a couple of integrateds to play with Harman Kardon PM655 L: 60mV R: 14.6mV Sony TA-F444ESii L: 11.1mV R: 11.4mV I have the service manual for the HK so I will attempt to rein that left channel in a bit for sure. Can't seem to track down a SM for the Sony as yet :(
  3. Pieface

System design help

So my brain has been ticking over lately and plotting to burn a hole in my wallet with some modern/ish solutions to my 2 channel audio. Here's my room, which isn't ideal but that is the hand that I have to play with. Total room volume with the adjoining hallway is about 3700ft3...
  4. Pieface

Budget Theatre Setup Questions...

Finally got this set up this weekend after my cables took forever to show up. A few teething troubles as I couldn't get any sound from the left surround. How I managed to not plug the rca in properly at either end and stuff up the speaker connection on just one channel was baffling :worried...
  5. Pieface

Would have been an underarm delivery anyway! We don't stand for those these days :p

Would have been an underarm delivery anyway! We don't stand for those these days :p
  6. Pieface

The Integra does have AV synch adjustment for it's analogue outs. I'm pretty sure the Sony can only make time delay adjustments to material it has decoded via pro-logic so won't be any use for this. I don't think I can choose the crossover frequency only small or large speaker sizes. I'm not...
  7. Pieface

Hey there :) I am building a budget DVD based 5.1 theatre and have a few questions on set-up I've picked up enough bits and pieces to get going but now i'm figuring out the bets way to configure it all. I have: Sony STRDE535 Receiver - surprisingly nice on 2 channel. No idea on...
  8. Pieface

Subwoofer Settings - Probably a daft question

Thanks for the input. Your method for setting the levels on the sub matches pretty well with how I went about it. I am waiting for some longer RCA cords to arrive before I can experiment much with placement of the sub itself. I will try the subwoofer crawl when they arrive but...
  9. Pieface

Subwoofer Settings - Probably a daft question

Hey gang, I have added a subwoofer to my little setup and have a question that I don't seem to have seen as being covered after searching around. I have pulled the jumpers from my 40wpc Pioneer integrated and run the pre-amp out to the line level in on the sub and then taken the line level...
  10. Pieface

Do you run a sub in your 2 channel system?

Just added an 8" velodyne sub to my system last night. I still need to do a lot of fiddling around, my cables are a bit short to experiment much ith placement atm. I can definitely see some issues with room modes if I start to push the spl. On the plus side the boston bookshelfs seem to have...
  11. Pieface

Bought Boston Acoustic A100's Today

Nice pick up Lukey. I would be all over those Boston A-series after my experience of the CR8's. Unfortunately I can't see myself running into any here in Oz :(
  12. Pieface

New Sabbath Album.

Inert. That is a great descriptor!
  13. Pieface

New Sabbath Album.

I have been listening to this one for a couple of weeks now. I think it's a nice album and it's not a let down. Sure Ozzy plays it safe with the vocals and some of the lyrics are cheesy (but weren't they always). The biggest disappointment for me is the drumming. What happened to that great...
  14. Pieface

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Listened to the new Sabbath album for the first time. No feeling of immediate hate. I'll listen again for sure. Onto some Jackson 5 atm.
  15. Pieface

SA-7500 weak channel help

Thanks mate. I have a technics amp that also has pre/power jumpers.I will try that and see what I find.
  16. Pieface

I missed a sticky or something...? Anyone want to throw me a bone?
  17. Pieface

Hey gang, The right channel on my SA-7500 seems to be getting weaker. I had thought it was just my listening position that was skewing the stereo slightly to the left but setting up some new acquisitions on the weekend I realised that it was the amp. I used a spl app and determined the...
  18. Pieface

Whats your speakers Density (lbs per cubic feet)

Was very confused when trying to work out my little Boston CR8. Kept getting a number in the 60's. Finally realised that the damn manual has one of the measurements listed as 5" :scratch2: Corrected it to 15" as it is in reality... 20.65lb/cu.ft
  19. Pieface

Technics SU-X911 Left: -3.8 Right: -3.3
  20. Pieface

Boston Acoustic CR-65!

I have the CR8s. I think they are a pretty good little speaker. Would like to be able to get them further apart as they image surprisingly well for only being 4' apart. You can place the instruments and vocalist easily but they are almost on top of each other a lot of the time. Some more...
  21. Pieface

Looks like I don't have to worry about making any adjustments at this stage Pioneer SA7500 L/ch - -1.0mV R/ch - +5.0mV The value moved up and down a couple of points but averaged right around those numbers.
  22. Pieface

The service manual for my SA7500 indicates the pre amp jumpers should be removed and a 5.1kohm resistor connected to the power amp in before adjusting the DC ofset and bias gain... Is this necessary or is defeating the tone controls and setting the function to a source with no input and...
  23. Pieface

Amplifier Sensitivity, Decibels, and You!

If you are getting ~+20dB with a CD player into a vintage amp... Is there any rule of thumb for knowing where on the dial you will run out of gas? My Sa7500 only has 1-10 volume marking not dB as on some amplifiers. Thanks.
  24. Pieface

Nooby's First System

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. My wife went into labour on the 1st so I have been offline for a few weeks. I will try to get a picture or two in the next few days. The wife says the system sounds "tinny". I think it just sounds a lot clearer without a bunch of bass bleeding up into the...
  25. Pieface

Nooby's First System

Hey there :) Been lurking around for a little while after deciding I wanted to add a speaker based system to my headphone listening gear. Just want to give a big thanks to the guys who have posted alot of useful information on the boards - probably would have busted something if I didn't know...
Back
Top Bottom