Search results

1. Tysen

DIY Marantz 7 Tube Preamp

Wow that is a great catch. I totally forgot that. I'll try tomorrow and keep you posted.
  2. Tysen

Better quality photos
  3. Tysen

Here you go! Obviously a cramped build so it makes sense I have noise lol. Smh! Ground buss is being used. I also tried to shield off the power supply internally. Let me know what you guys think!
  4. Tysen

Hi All, I built myself a Marantz 7 clone and the floor noise is a bit louder than what I was hoping for. (Or a lot louder). Eventually I'll need to re-do the PS but for now I'm using a passive pre to lower the overall output from the clone to my amp as this is helping with the noise. I'm...
  5. Tysen

New Marantz 7 Build—Hiss

Anybody? Thanks!
  6. Tysen

New Marantz 7 Build—Hiss

So I've run into something confusing—I installed a 1k resistor on the output jacks to ground and while my volume was reduced and thus my floor noise, it destroyed the low-end and extenuated highs. I lost about 10db at 100hz per my spectrum analyzer. I'm assuming because the output impedance...
  7. Tysen

New Marantz 7 Build—Hiss

Finally finished my Marantz 7 build w/o tone controls, etc. Long story short, the chassis ended up being too small, so the guts are mess (it's all P2P). Maybe I'll get the nerve to post a photo later! Fortunately, it works well. Just a couple of things to button up. Namely, tube hiss...
  8. Tysen

PSU Designer Help

@gadget73 Thanks! Now it appears my voltages are pretty much exactly what I expected and hoped for. @Goldie99 Thanks sharing the guide!
  9. Tysen

PSU Designer Help

Anybody? lol I know it's the weekend......
  10. Tysen

PSU Designer Help

Hi Folks, Building an amp. Trying to calculate the power supply. I'm confused about the source impedance. When I input the secondary DCR (per hammond's spec sheet, http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/EDB269JX.pdf) in the source impedance calculator, I'm getting voltages much lower than I would...
  11. Tysen

Altec 601-D Crossover Help

@setup1 Great info. Thanks! My L-pads should arrive Monday, or Tuesday. I'll report back with my (hopefully) success!
  12. Tysen

Thanks for this @setup1 ! I am using a SET amp, but if there is anything at risk to these tweeters, I’m not gonna do it—don’t really have the funds to buy a new pair lol. That said, I just purchased an 8ohm 15w L-pad. Hopefully I can reduce some of the nasties I’m hearing with the 1.5uf...
  13. Tysen

Thanks @setup1 ! Been following your website for years. The best. My follow up question is: i built your 802/414 crossover for 16ohm speakers. My 601s are 8ohm. Any problems still using your XO?
  14. Tysen

I built the JE Labs Altec crossovers. Sorry for my crossover ignorance, can I use the L-pad & resistor that I have from the JE Labs crossover after the 1.5uf I currently have for my 601s? Essentially, what I'm asking is, is there anything potentially dangerous for the tweeter if I install the...
  15. Tysen

Thanks for the clarification @moray james I'm going to try a 1.5uf cap instead of the 4uf. That'll probably be too high, but we'll see.
  16. Tysen

Thanks for the tips! My primary concern right now is ensuring the tweeters’ safety. I think I’ll start off with a 3uf cap. Based on the calculators, that should be around 6k. 3k is the advised limit for the tweeters. Hopefully I won’t need to attenuate.
  17. Tysen

Hi Folks, Picking up a pair of Altec 601-d with working tweeters tomorrow. N-3000 Crossover is included. I'm currently running an Altec two-ways, using the 414 woofer. I built JE Labs crossover, running the 414 wide open. I want to build a crossover for the 601s, running the 414 woofers...
  18. Tysen

EZ81/6CA4 Artificial CT ?

Thanks!
  19. Tysen

EZ81/6CA4 Artificial CT ?

Hey there, I'm building an amp this weekend and I'm using a EZ81/6CA4. My transformer has multiple 6.3 windings, but no CT. For the preamp/output tubes, I've created a artificial CT, but I'm wondering if I should do the same for the EZ81. Thoughts?
  20. Tysen

RH84 Power Supply Help

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I think I've settled on this for now, using a hammond 158m choke: I'll probably have to put a 10ohm resistor or maybe a little higher before the first filter cap, but this is a good start. My first RH84 build using the GZ34 has around 320v on the B+, and...
  21. Tysen

RH84 Power Supply Help

Thanks! That worked. Wow. Brilliant. Here's what I have so far: Alex mentions in his blog post, the amp is drawing just under 100ma, so I put 100ma for the load. That's correct, right? Thinking about adding a 50ohm 5w resistor before the first filter cap to bring down the B+ to be...
  22. Tysen

RH84 Power Supply Help

Hi folks, I'm going to build a second RH84 amplifier. This time instead of using a GZ34, I'm going to use a EZ81 because of the power transformer I have on hand. I don't have a windows computer so I can't download the PSU designer. Could someone help me come up with a simple CLC power...
  23. Tysen

More Fun With Magnavox: The 9300 Series

Not balanced current-wise. I'll double check to make sure I'm reading the DVM correctly. I have a semi-dumb question: the left channel is the one with the lower bias—the cathode (#4) connection on the left channel wasn't strong due to the wafer sockets. Would this in any way effect the...
  24. Tysen

More Fun With Magnavox: The 9300 Series

Hi folks, I modded my Maggie last year and everything has been performing fine, except I went to bias the amp last week and now the channels aren't balanced. I bought a new matched quad of JJs, and the imbalance remains. I'm wondering what could cause the imbalance? Just trying to find a...
  25. Tysen

RH84 Build

Yeah! It's my understanding that the Sony's were made by Tamradio, which was somehow connected to Tamura. Regardless, they sound great and they're a bit heavier than comparable OTs I've owned, like Magnavox, etc. And thanks for the compliment—this is the best my system has looked per my...
Back
Top Bottom