Search results

1. fredjones

Audiophile Azimuth Calculator

2. fredjones

Pioneer PL-510A foam cushion

These always disintegrate on every 510 I have encountered. Has anybody here ever replaced and with what. Seems to be about 10 to 15 mm thick. It probably helped dampen things. By the way, this is no easy task, it requires removal of the tonearm. I am considering neoprene among other things.
  3. fredjones

I think turntable isolation more important than I thought.

I recently obtained a new to me Pioneer PL-514. These are some of my favorite tables. Of course, the rubber feet were shot and sagging. I listened to the table for a few days with these on. Then on a whim, I took the feet off and stuck some isolation springs underneath. To my surprise it...
  4. fredjones

Topping E30 finally got here from China

I had ordered from Shenzhen Audio on April 22. Got here May 20. My wife got the package out of the mailbox and said it looked like a pound of weed, her words, she's been watching too much IDTV. I tested it out last night and so far it sounds good. I have previously had a Topping D30. I got...
  5. fredjones

Bugle 2 got fried

I recently hooked up a new power supply (https://www.ebay.com/itm/50VA-DC-2-Way-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-5V-9V-12V-19V-Amplifier-Preamp/113705722145?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413835274934&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) to my Bugle 2. Everything fine until I hooked up the...
  6. fredjones

Recommend subwoofer for music.

I currently use a 10" subwoofer with speaker level inputs when listening to music. has worked well so far but my current one is starting to get noisy. Can anybody recommend a good sub for music? Cheers
  7. fredjones

Pioneer Tonearm rebuild, problem looking for solution

I recently acquired what is essentially a parts table. It had a hum and I got to looking at it and the ground that leads to the interior of the tonearm had come loose. So I decide to rewire the arm. Anyway I have a picture that shows the rear of the arm with four holes. The second and fourth...
  8. fredjones

Anybody hook their analog equipment up to their favorite DAC?

This would be heresy in the turntable or tape threads, so maybe I won't be hanged here. I've got some DACs that I really enjoy the sound, and wondered. Of course it would require a good ADC to hook to the turntable. I have found a turntable with digital output like the project digital II. I...
  9. fredjones

Pioneer HPM 40 surrounds seem stiff

I recently bought a pair in good condition. Version 2 with carbon fiber 10" cone woofer. I also had a brand new set when I was 18 years old. I remember the woofer would move if you barely touched it, now they seem stiff. The surrounds are not the typical foam, but are cloth with some type of...
  10. fredjones

Pioneer HPM-40 ELNA replacement caps recommendation please

These old, and I mean 35 years at least, ELNA caps are on the HPM 40 crossover. They are bipolar obviously. They are old but don't really sound bad. I would however like to replace them. Does ELNA make a similar cap now? I know there are plenty of other options for speaker crossover caps...
  11. fredjones

Finally got my system looking irganized

Here’s a pic. Wood items are cherry stained. Speakers are Seas Bifrost. Elekit has the honors for any amplification. Fleetwood Mac spinning. Wife just had me vacuum entire Mancave.
  12. fredjones

Is my Shure cartridge defective?

I'm got a good deal on a local SL 1300 in great condition, but I am a bit bummed that the Shure V15 TypeIII that came with it only seems to play the left channel. I only paid $100, and did not expect to get a cartridge with the deal to be honest, so no big deal there, but still. The OEM...
  13. fredjones

Boozhound Deluxe build from kit

I recently built one of these and just wanted to share experience. I am an amateur kit builder that can solder, best describes me. Nothing too complicated here. Just separate power supply was a prerequisite. Jason offers the PS on his site also. I included a few pictures. The cases were...
  14. fredjones

Haunting Rock Songs

I know it's not Halloween, but for some reason I was thinking about songs that have a heavy haunting vibe to them. Some could even be appropriate for horror movies. Some that come to mind are Peter Gabriel's Lay Your Hands on Me, and Godsmack Voodoo. I am interested in hearing others. Cheers
  15. fredjones

At What Point Does Vinyl Start to Sound Better than CD?

No this is not another vinyl vs. CD thread. Anybody that has spent enough on their vinyl system knows that at some point, you begin to extract information from that vinyl groove that digital could never touch. If you have never heard a high resolution system, then you don’t know what you are...
  16. fredjones

"Ree-guh" or "Ray-guh"

Let's take a poll to see how Rega is pronounced.
  17. fredjones

Audio Technica cartridge ID

Can someone help me identify this cartridge please? Thanks a million guys
  18. fredjones

Look what came in the mail with my Pioneer PL-516

I never heard a Shure V15 Type III until I got this. I am pleasantly surprised by its sound. I think the sylus is original. It does rock very well (like Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good). I know there are many after market stylus' available. But this one sounds fine.
  19. fredjones

Any way to incrementally increase the effective diameter of a turntable capstan

I recently got a vintage Toshiba belt drive table, cheap locally. I did the usual lubrication of motor and spindle, and new belt. Unfortunately I polished the capstan with jewelers polish. It sure is nice and clean, but the turntable speed dropped from about 32.7 RPM to 32.5 RPM. This...
  20. fredjones

Cardas tonearm wire + old Pioneer = new turntable

I am sure this has been discussed before but the rewire I just did seemed to give my PL 550 a new life. Not that it was bad before. Sounds even better with my Bugle 2. I was wondering if this is from a change in capacitance of the new wiring, or is it really due to the quality of the new wire...
  21. fredjones

Tips for rewiring Pioneer tonearm

I am considering rewiring my Pioneer PL 550 tonearm. I had an old PL 112 for parts laying around and I disassembled its tonearm to familiarize myself with the process. It has almost an identical tonearm to the 550. I would appreciate any advice from someone who has done one similar. The...
  22. fredjones

Teac TN-550

I recently bought a Teac TN-550 and would like to share my assessment. I’ll keep it to the point: PROS: 1. Sound I found to be very good, detailed, full, clear, what I expected and and little more from a turntable at this price. 2. Marble plinth – beautiful. 3. Feet seemed stout and able...
  23. fredjones

Why does Van Morrison sound better through tube phono preamp?

I recently built a Tetra Sans PS tube phono preamp. It does add a different character to all my LPs. But for some reason the Van Morrison (Moondance) sounds like it was meant to be played on tubes. Just made the recording sound like it was made yesterday, blew me away. My Bugle 2 is good, but...
  24. fredjones

Orbit offering discount on Pluto until end of week.

Here is a quote from a recent email I got from them. The PLUTO is their new phono preamp. Unfortunately I did not win the free one. "And the winners are... Congratulations to our Pluto contest winners: Ron from Michigan, Tori from Nebraska, and Howard from Oregon! Thanks to everybody who...
  25. fredjones

Apple TV kind of a no brainer after all.

For those of you with iPhones, this thing just makes it too easy to stream music to your system. Just connect to the same wireless network and stream your music with Airplay. Keep the volume on your phone all the way up, it's bit perfect and sounds really good. Apple TV has a toslink/optical...
Back
Top Bottom