Search results

1. J

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Found a Technics SL-B500 today at GW. Was expecting a bad cartridge or belt or some other issue but decided to get it since it had all the parts, a operating manual, and was in dusty but good shape. I figured for $15 it'd be worth just as a project. Went home, hooked it up and threw on a "test"...
  2. J

Sony PS-LX22 vs Technics SL-BD22

"Minor issues" indeed. Thanks I'll keep everyone posted. This will be my first TT actually, I never have managed to buy one in the past.
  3. J

Saw that, I'm afraid that I'm really trying to stay under $50 with my limited budget, though it looks amazing for $100 at that condition.
  4. J

It sold already, going to see about the other one hopefully tomorrow, I'm the second person to ask about the Technics TT
  5. J

Hah, also saw a Denon DP 60-L on CL for $100 that just got bumped to $400...guess the seller browsed ebay.
  6. J

That's true! The Technics TT looks like something I could sell easier if I ever upgraded. It'd match my hardy but lower end Technics receiver too.
  7. J

Good to know. I've been told good things about even the entry-level Technics TT's so I was really curious about the Sony's reputation. The seller of the Technics is firm on $40, waiting for a response about the Sony in the meantime. The Technics also has a USB adapter thrown in but I don't...
  8. J

Looking for a entry-level TT and I've seen these two on CL: the Sony PS-LX22 for $30 and Technics SL-BD22 for $40. Haven't haggled yet and both are advertised as "working fine." Leaning toward the Sony but I'm curious if one model is particularly more reliable historically or a better buy...
  9. J

MCS 3253 vs Yamaha 620?

I think I'm leaning toward the Yamaha CR-620, I'll see how the weekend shakes out in terms of actually getting around to seeing them. It's not going anywhere actually, the CL listing has been gone for awhile, it's a one-on-one sale at this point. That said, I'm finding the MCS debate...
  10. J

MCS 3253 vs Yamaha 620?

Yes, it is a CR-620
  11. J

MCS 3253 vs Yamaha 620?

So in my long hunt for a silver-faced receiver on CL I've come across two local sellers - one has a MCS 3253 and the other has a Yamaha 620, at $50 and $45 respectively. They're both willing to demo the receivers and have owned them for awhile, in fact I think both are "inherited" from their...
  12. J

Weirdest Damned Music You Ever Heard?

I know what you mean, drone, doom and dark ambient and dark ambient has a certain atmosphere I find appealing but you have to be in the right mood. Noise is too much for me with few exceptions. Artists like Lustmord and Aghast are literally so eerie and scary sonically that it's hard to listen...
  13. J

Greetings from Austin TX

Welcome! Good luck with that Kenwood!
  14. J

Kenwood KR-3600 for $30?

lol, yep. I bet it was sold long before I emailed him this morning, I saw a Kenwood KR-2400 as well ($20 but w/ issues) and that seller told me he forgot to delete it over the holidays. I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy about the local market, I actually consider that Technics SA-929 a score...
  15. J

Kenwood KR-3600 for $30?

I've been looking for a vintage 70s era receiver to augment or, more ideally, replace my mid-80s produced Technics SA-929. I basically have too many components (turntable, digital aux, cassette, 8-track, etc) and on top of that the tuner is iffy. So far I've mostly seen 70s units selling no less...
  16. J

Unusual colored receivers & amps - alternatives to metal or black finishes

^Haha And that's quite an array of colors Odyssey offers. Saw this Akai AM-11E amp + receiver with odd 3 color face, it's like a Neapolitan combination of common finishes: black, metallic, and grey. Also seen some receivers with more subtle two-tone metallic faces - gunship grey and...
  17. J

Really liking those Kenwoods and others in the darker gunmetal grey faces. I think I'm officially over that Panasonic I posted earlier, now that I'm more familiar with what's out there. Those Heathkits are really pretty and quite unique looking. Completely unaware of that make until now...
  18. J

These are great links everyone, exactly the kind of color schemes I was curious about! I'm becoming quite partial to anything with darker gunmetal finishes. Neat! Looks like something from a Imperial stormtrooper dorm room.
  19. J

hello from austin!

It went quite well, a lot of people were anxious about the event and how it would go overall. Missed out on tickets, but I look forward to going next year. Yeah exactly, while I'm not anti-digital but I like taking a break from it. Haven't acquired a R2R yet but I'm sure I'll add one to my...
  20. J

This thread hits on a theme I've seen before lurking here: looks versus performance. One of the first components I ever saw, and actually pushed my interest in vintage systems, was a Panasonic RA-6600. While I think it's a neat little 70's receiver I'm also completely aware it's not hi-fi...
  21. J

Looks vs. Sound Quality

I've across this problem a lot when I first started hunting down vintage equipment. Even now my preferences in looks interferes with my better judgement. I'm sure at least one collector has found themselves about to spend more on a component simply because it's color scheme matches their system...
  22. J

hello from austin!

Lurker for awhile, started stumbling into vintage audio after a renewed interest in cassette tapes (both old finds and new underground releases) and vinyl. Have more time than money, and on my quest to slowly build a nice vintage setup I've found myself here! So far I have some cassette decks...
  23. J

Shopping for EQs: BSR 3000 versus Audiosource EQ Eleven

Good advice, depending on how it turns out I'll weight that as an option.
  24. J

Shopping for EQs: BSR 3000 versus Audiosource EQ Eleven

Been on the lookout for equalizers and two have caught my eye: a BSR EQ-3000 and an Audiosource EQ Eleven. Both feature spectrum analyzers and stand apart from the usual Fisher EQs or more obscure brand EQs (i.e. saw one made by "Tamon" o_o) I spot on CL often. Also saw a what appears to be...
Back
Top Bottom