Search results

1. dshoaf

Sound of KLH 17 with SET tube amp

Locate them in a small room with jazz or small ensemble classical. Headbangers would need to add more power. Make sure the 17s have been updated with new crossover components and the surrounds sealed. Cheers, David
  2. dshoaf

Need help from MX-110Z gurus

Agreed, the whole signal chain of coupling caps has not been fully replaced. The big hole with foil was a capacitor at one point and it will lower resale value. The power supply diodes have been replaced with a more modern consolidated component that houses the 4 original diodes. The 2...
  3. dshoaf

McIntosh MC-30 purchasing pointers please...

Nice candidates for a full restoration if you intend to use them and want the reliability and performance they'll have when restored. The alternative, given the really nice condition and all-original, is to leave them as-is but not use them. There are collectors out there for whom...
  4. dshoaf

Hafler DH-500 upgrade??????

If you are referring to Qua-co, I believe he worked for Hafler in prior years. The other alternative would be Musical Concepts. There are plenty of threads here at AK on this topic. Cheers, David
  5. dshoaf

Mistsubishi LT-30 Arm Movement

Odds are rhat one or more of the small wheat bulbs will also need replacing. This TT is worth the time and money to do those things. Cheers, David
  6. dshoaf

I do like the stream

I run streaming of internet 'radio' stations the majority of the time. Some are in Europe and some in the US. In either case, they've introduced me to new musicians and releases. There are some excellent radio shows (Performance Today from APM, for instance) that carries recent performances...
  7. dshoaf

Sony str6050 Receiver No FM

Thus far, you have narrowed the problem down to the Intermediate Frequency circuits. This is a series of amplifiers connected by transformers that are housed in small metal cans. You'll find them all on one board. Each is fed by a series of decreasing voltages developed by a series of...
  8. dshoaf

I need to send three McIntosh units in for repair, Trying to decide who to send to.

The good ones are busy. Stand in line. There’s usually a reason some one else is available immediately. Cheers, David
  9. dshoaf

You're going to need to get a VOM out and start checking the power supply voltages all along the I/F strip. I see a lot of resistors and decoupling caps in the voltage rail that can affect FM performance only. Cheers, David
  10. dshoaf

Plug the Tape Out jacks to the AUX input of another amp. This will tell you if audio is being generated by the FM section. If not the problem is upstream in the FM stage. If it works, the problem is downstream of the Tape Out. Have you cleaned the switches. David
  11. dshoaf

Anything in the I/F strip or the stereo demodulator could be at play here. For the best approach to diagnosing it further, pull down the schematic from HiFi Engine and be prepared to post the FM section schematics. This will help the 'arm chair bench techs' here at AK to help you help...
  12. dshoaf

REQ: for Bose 601 series ii tweeter advice (and tweeters)

I didn't go back and read the whole thread so these questions may have been answered. OK, so what is the exact problem with the tweeters? Have you measured the voice coil DC resistance with an ohm meter? How do they differ? What happens when you run audio through them when connected to the...
  13. dshoaf

REQ: for Bose 601 series ii tweeter advice (and tweeters)

Model 301 tweeters of the same series should work just fine in the 601s of the same vintage. There's likely a small incandescent bulb in series with the tweeters mounted on the crossover. Check the metal tabs for corrosion and clean them with DeOxit while you've got the woofers out. The 601s...
  14. dshoaf

Modded Hafler DH-220 vs XL-280

Go with the PA6 - it really isn’t a Halfler any more. Then upgrade the power supply at your leisure. The XL-280 would need some updating anyway. Cheers, David
  15. dshoaf

Marantz 1060 (restored) - symetrical clipping won't adjust

What kind of output (in terms of wattage) do you get when the preamp is driven into clipping? It seems to me that you would be driving it very hard by then. If that's the case, why worry about asymetrical clipping of the preamp when you'll never approach it with the power amp hooked up. Just...
  16. dshoaf

Modded Hafler DH-220 vs XL-280

I love my Hafler amps - a P500 (pro version of the DH-500), XL-600, XL-280 and a DH-200. I've got Musical Concepts driver boards and related mods in the DH-200, P500 and the XL-600 with the XL-280 having had the electrolytics swapped out. The MC driver boards are quite different from the...
  17. dshoaf

What made you want to use an external DAC?

I started with external 'pro-sumer' audio strips back in about 2004 or so when I joined a band and they needed demos for promotion. So, I gathered a Presonus audio strip with 8 mic inputs, some mics and we started recording. Well, the playback was darn good - even though the band itself...
  18. dshoaf

Musical Interlude Encounter Today

Excellent story! That's Audio Karma in action. Cheers, David
  19. dshoaf

How do i connect these speakers to my crosley record player

According to the picture on the Amazon page of the rear panel, you have very little options. What does the Owner's Manual have to say about them? Cheers, David
  20. dshoaf

Need glass for c28 and 2105, please help!

There's a separate McIntosh forum here at AK. Also, typically, WTB items are posted in Barter Town, which will require a subscription to AK but is well worth it for older gear. Cheers, David
  21. dshoaf

Speaker is blowing receiver fuses

If the rear plates where the connectors are mounted are metal, there should have been some sort of electrical isolation of the new mounts. An ohm meter will quickly tell you if you have a dead short. Post some pictures so we can see what you're working with. Cheers, David
  22. dshoaf

MI-200 add

That's really cool! I'd suggest that you request the Moderator to move it over to the McIntosh forum, though. Use the "Report" link that's just beside the time/date stamp on your first post to do so. Cheers, David
  23. dshoaf

Good vs bad vintage brands

Also be aware that many brands were bought and sold. For instance you can find a Sherwood, KLH, Fisher or Scott brand on items from as late as the 2000's. This doesn't mean the original company still exists and so the generic quality of the gear is secondary to the marketing value of the old...
  24. dshoaf

So - Damping factor...how much does it really matter?

I've played around with Damping Factor over the years. Here's some (hopefully) interesting things I've observed: - DF is a figure of merit. That is, it has not measrure in and of itself. You're calculating Output Impedance of an amp and the Input impedance of a speakers. Both are measured...
  25. dshoaf

noob checklist for pioneer SX 1250 troubleshooting?

I know you're excited but clean up and troubleshooting is a discipline. You'll your best help by applying that. Here are 2 AK links you _must_ read well before opening the device - what ever it is: 1) A structured Troubleshooting Flowchart - use it to tell the 'arm chair bench techs' here...
Back
Top Bottom