Search results

1. Bauhausler

6DJ8/ECC88 Transconductance measurements on Hickok tester

Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I use a Hickok 533A tester. I believe it's pretty accurate because new tubes always test near the target transconductance. That's for small signal triodes and power tubes. But I always get out of range readings for 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes. The tester says...
  2. Bauhausler

Schematic bleg: Knight KA-55

I have 2 of these in great cosmetic condition that need some work. The PCBs are hard to figure out so I need the schematic. Does anyone know of a source? Thanx Bau
  3. Bauhausler

Stupid question: setting AR XA stylus overhang

Howdy. Today I acquired a very nice AR XA to add to my already excessive turntable collection. It came in the original box with everything except the bottle of oil. The price was right and we had one of these when I was a kid in the '60s so it was a no brainer for nostalgia reasons. Anyway...
  4. Bauhausler

Anyone using phase splitter xfmrs in DIY PP tube amps?

I dunno if this question belongs here or in the Tubes forum. I'd like to hear the experiences of anyone using unbalanced/balanced input transformers for phase splitting in PP tube amps. I've tried every tube phase splitter but never tried phase inversion with a transformer. EDCOR seems to...
  5. Bauhausler

Recomendations on 7581/6L6GC for high B+?

All; I've been working on tube gear for 20+ years, with many restorations and custom builds. But I haven't kept up on modern power tubes and vendors. Now I find myself needing between 20 and 40 6L6 types that will take 450VDC on the plates and screens. Maybe a bit more. Most of these are...
  6. Bauhausler

Need a recommendation for closed-back headcans

Howdy. I need a recommendation for a pair of closed-back headphones with good isolation from ambient noise. I don't want noise canceling headphones. Budget is <=$250 or so. Sensitivity not important. I might favor a pair with impedance 100 ohms or higher so I can build an OTL tube amp for...
  7. Bauhausler

My new DIY headphone amp article up at Make Magazine

AK DIY-ers; I have a new article up on the Make Magazine website. It's part of a series sponsored by Radio Shack and featuring components that can be purchased from them. The article will go in the January print edition. The project is a headphone amp with a bass control circuit, the...
  8. Bauhausler

Any 6J52P Spud amps?

Howdy. I'm looking for someone who has experience using the Russian 6J52P in a Spud (single tube amp) configuration. I've used 6J52P as a triode connected CCS loaded voltage amplifier (gain of 70, 325v P-P voltage swing at 1% THD!) and it's an interesting tube. With the high available...
  9. Bauhausler

Another DIY DL-103R disrobing

Does anyone just leave these carts alone and play them? I had to rework this one. I needed about another 3mm of length to get the overhang right with this headshell and tone arm I wanted to use. So the answer was to glue the cart body to a plate with the screw holes moved back a few mm to get...
  10. Bauhausler

LOMC on the MM input can work

Here's a little analysis on the subject of phono preamp gain and how much of it you need. It's universally stated that if you have a low output moving coil cartridge you need a dedicated high gain MC phono stage or a stepup transformer to match it. This is not necessarily true. Most systems...
  11. Bauhausler

Linx to SEM photomicrographs of groove/stylus

Howdy. In case you've ever wondered what a stylus looks like in a groove I collected a bunch of links off of The Google to electron microscope photos. I's grittier than you'd think. http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/215074/view...
  12. Bauhausler

Sony PS-2251 with AT 1009 arm - '70s classic

Howdy. Here's a half-done project. I wanted a quality turntable set up properly to run low compliance LOMC cartridges on. Motor/chassis/plinth: Sony PS-2251 purchased used without dust cover or tonearm. It was cheap, and is ideal for adding a new arm, as the armboard is removable. I had to...
  13. Bauhausler

Technics SL1200 question: Tonearm rest thread?

SL1200 mavens, I have a question for you. What's the thread on the bottom of the tonearm rest head? I need to fabricate a tonearm rest for an arm with the same tube diameter as the 1200 arm and the 1200 tonearm rest is widely available and cheap. I'm sure it's metric, and guessing it's 3Mm or...
  14. Bauhausler

What new USB 'table for my young niece?

Howdy. My 21 year old niece is into vinyl now. Because of course she is. I was going to fix up a vintage table and send it to her but the more I think about it I really don't want to mail something potentially fussy from Detroit to New Orleans. iPhone is about as techy as she gets. And she...
  15. Bauhausler

fabricated finger lift for AT 1009 Tonearm Headshell

I have this NOS AT 1009 tonearm that I recently bought. It came without a headshell so I located one separately because it's a cool and unique 'shell and I wanted an original. But that headshell came without the finger lift which is also the cartridge attachment. Rather than fish around for a...
  16. Bauhausler

Denon DL-110 torn down for adjustment

Howdy. My DL-110 developed an azimuth error. The cantilever was twisted a few degrees. Looking at other threads on DL-110 teardowns I saw that there was a small set screw that probably held the cantilever assembly in place. So I carefully shucked the casing off of it. Turning the screw did...
  17. Bauhausler

Never buying another turntable off eBay again

Shattered dust cover. Chipped corners and scratched veneer. The seller did everything right but put only 1 thin layer of bubble wrap between the box and the top of the dust cover. So of course it got wrecked. A 95% pack job just doesn't cut it when you're using shippers because that 5%...
  18. Bauhausler

AT440MLa first impressions

This cart is pretty well known here but I want to add some impression of my own because my experience differs a little. I have a brand new AT440MLa mounted on a JVC QL-7 'table. This is a decent turntable with a good mid-mass arm but by no means TOTL. I intentionally reduced the head mass as...
  19. Bauhausler

AT vintage cart compliance: what's the deal?

I'm confused. I have an AT 1009 arm that I'm trying to match a cart to. It's not mounted up yet but I have a 'table on the way for it. I have three cart options that I'm considering: AT13Ea, VE compliance 28 'at 100 hz!' (approx 40!!?! @ 10 hz!?) AT15S, VE compliance 9 'at 100 hz' (more...
  20. Bauhausler

Scientists: Cork absorbs vibration in audio band

Science!: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2012/jun/cork-sandwich-composites-061812.html “It’s energy absorbing, tough, lightweight and impact resistant, and it has excellent vibrational and acoustic damping properties. Its unique cellular arrangement also results in good thermal properties, and...
  21. Bauhausler

Impedance measurements on 10 Audio Technica carts

I was bored this morning so I ran impedance tests on 15 AT cart bodies. I was curious which ones were low inductance. Here are the results: AT15S DCR: 511/517 Inductance: 350mh AT88E (AT11E?) DCR: 1503/1490 Inductance: 652mh AT100E (AT11E?) DCR: 1550/1615 Inductance: 632...
  22. Bauhausler

What kind of 'table can I put an AT 1009 arm on?

Howdy. In a fit of optimism I bought a nice old AT 1009 tonearm. I don't have a bare 'table to mount it on. I have a JVC QL-7 (TT-71) that I could graft it onto in place of the stock arm, but this table works fine the way it is and I might lose dustcover functionality due to the length of the...
  23. Bauhausler

LEAK! LM386 extension speaker project needs a name

Howdy. I'm developing the device shown for publication in a magazine. It's a powered extension speaker with a LM386 chip amp in a cigar box. The 'rustic' appearance of the wood box was a design goal. This will see publication later this year and I'll link to the article and video. I need a...
  24. Bauhausler

Two types of AT13Ea styli

I recently bought two NOS genuine Audio Technica styli. They were in identical aftermarket packaging labeled 202-DEM but are definitely AT products, and superficially appear identical to my original AT packaged AT13Ea (ATN13) stylus. Both aftermarket packages state that they have a nude...
  25. Bauhausler

Seventies classics: AT-1009 arm and AT15S cart. Pix.

I acquired these today for no more reason than I can't pass up NOS at a decent price. The arm is missing the headshell and rest but is unused. It has the peculiar pneumatic lift system, which works. The cart is also unused. There should probably be a booklet but that's not present. It's a...
Back
Top Bottom